RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Anyone made 6.5mm jackets from 1/4" copper tubing?

Anyone made 6.5mm jackets from 1/4" copper tubing?

5/16" tubing has gotten pretty expensive so I looked at 1/4" tubing and bought 50 feet of ebay which comes out to about 6.5 cents per inch. I am planning to make my own tubing to jacket die as it looks simple enough to do. I think there is couple ways of expanding .250" tubing to .262 - .263 diameter. One is by seating lead core which I think won't look pretty or come out uniform. 2nd way is to run expanding mandrel through cut up ~1" pieces which might need to be annealed first and have them strip off mandrel on return stroke. I've done this with thin 22 mag RF jackets and it worked well. It was easier setup because I used a shell holder to hold the case in place. I am thinking I can do similar thing to expand to 30 cal but I have no idea if this is going to work or not. Please share your experience / knowledge.

it can definitely be done. After you cut to length, then end round, then during flattening and closing the end of the jacket in the core seat die, it will require a punch dedicated to the tubing dimensions to flatten the end of the jacket and also expand or flare the 1/4" jacket. A slight taper to this punch or mandrel was needed. Then swap in the core seat punch and drop the core which is going to be a much smaller diameter than the 22mag jacket due to the wall thickness obviously and seat it then you're on your merry way.

I will say I've only attempted to expand a cut jacket without end rounding step because I was looking for the same option, but the concept of expanding the jacket with a tapered punch/mandrel I made to be used in the core seat die worked just fine. I just haven't turned an end rounding die yet since I've got thousands of 6.5 jackets, but it's on my list of things to do. I can find some time between work and kids soccer tournaments this weekend , I'll get you dimensions of the expander punch/mandrel I turned.

I did not anneal prior to expanding, but then again I didn't core seat or point form yet either so I'm not sure if that'll be required. The expansion isn't as dramatic and stressful though as drawing down 5/16 I would think so maybe it's not necessary depending on how soft your tubing is. Now I'm curious.

Boolit Master
    Most tubing and pipes used for plumbing are measured by the ID not the OD so if copper is measured ID (I assume it is) it would already be bigger wouldn't it?