WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: smooth out PC by tumbling?

Boolit Mold

smooth out PC by tumbling?

Good day, has anyone out there found any advantage of tumbling your pc`d boolits for a short time, say, no more than 5 minutes in a dry tumble, just to smooth off any small dust bits or in my case sometimes a small ring of cured pc as I place mine in a square piece of aluminum with holes in it nose down. My accuracy is not too bad, but as most everyone is trying to wring out every bit of accuracy they can.
    Any thoughts?

I doubt tumbling in (dry) media is going to rub off much of what
    by design is supposed to survive a nasty trip down a rifle barrel.
    (Other thoughts?)

Boolit Master
    I do try to get the most accuracy I can. MOA or less at hundreds of yards is my goal.

First, I would not coat them nose down. I stand them on the base. The final sizing after PC removes any 'ring' from left over PC at the base.

I have tried putting small holes in an Al plate so the GC shank just fits. Then seat GC and size after PC. That works but to me is more cumbersome and difficult to get just right. If I were spray coating that is the way I would proceed.

If using short, fat bullets (pistol) and spraying then small 'stands' can be made for the bullets (eg, a small nut that is less than bullet dia). HP bullets you can put nails in a board that fit up into the HP.

The proof is in the results. If you get the accuracy you want then leave it as is. If you want better accuracy you need to change something.

FWIW, I have tumbled bullets prior to PC. It leaves the surfaces with a very slight dimple pattern. I can't say it makes accuracy worse, but, it doesn't improve it either. Some will use a tumbler to apply the powder (shake and bake).

Boolit Master

Are you spraying the PC? Is that tge reason for the nose down application?

If no, I agree just stand up on bases and then size last. Zero issues.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    Great advice, thank`s folks! Going to do a little revision to the bake cycle. No more nose down! I really like the simple idea of giving the boolits a little help to stand up. Using a FLAT base to stand them up on is a good start instead of a bent up thin gauge piece of sheet metal! Yup, sometimes I`m about as bright as a five watt bulb. I`m pretty surprised at the results I was getting considering the way I could be doing things. Patience and details, patience and details.

Boolit Master
    These are SnB. .308 210gn on left 6mm 106gn on right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230315_145025.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	312217

Note: none are touching the grid. It basically keeps any that fall over from causing a chain reaction. Once in the oven I push up the 2 or 3 that have tipped during handling

Boolit Mold
    Thanks charlie, that`s pretty much the set up I`m looking to do!

Boolit Master

OK. Now I see.

Order your self some silicone mini ice cube trays. They are 144 individual cubes and work wonderfully when bullets are too "tippy" to be stood up. They work wonderfully you will love them. Anything under 30 cal goes in them For me.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    Thanks cw, great tip! I pretty much stick with .30 cal and .35 win. for rifle and pistol boolits. .9/40/45.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    OK. Now I see.

Order your self some silicone mini ice cube trays. They are 144 individual cubes and work wonderfully when bullets are too "tippy" to be stood up. They work wonderfully you will love them. Anything under 30 cal goes in them For me.
    These are what I used for my .224 Bator bullets. Worked great.
    And I agree with mehavey, pc is very tough so tumbling would probably not work. Beside if you're sizing the bullets the critical diameter will be smooth from that step.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen cast hollow points baked nose down over a nail board (nail in the hp)