Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Swaging with half jackets

Swaging with half jackets

Just wondering if there are many on here using any of the older c&h and/or pacific swage tools with half jackets?

If you are talking about a single die stepped bullet I have a couple. One in .430 and one in .452. I mostly use them to reshape cast bullets. I have made a few .45 using .40 S&W brass cut down to make half jackets.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

The actual half jacketed bullets produced back in the day tended to lead the bore badly. It might be interesting to go back with the 45-45-10 that we have now and see how they work.
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    If you are talking about a single die stepped bullet I have a couple. One in .430 and one in .452. I mostly use them to reshape cast bullets. I have made a few .45 using .40 S&W brass cut down to make half jackets.
    This

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received-747938920110013.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	312216

Boolit Master
    I use a Swag O Matic to make an 85gr 32cal SWC. I use spent 50 BMG primers as the jackets. The primer cups are just short of covering the bearing surface of the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    This

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received-747938920110013.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	312216
    Yup, that's the critter.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I have a few sets of swaging dies for half jackets and a fair amount of half jackets for them.
    I have HERTERS 9 ton in multiple calibers and a Hornady set up for 308 that is suitable for 30 Carbine.
    The Hornady makes bullets similar to the Speer 100gr Plinkers.
    I have made 38-125 grain bullets with no lead exposed.
    I like the Herters because dies are easy to make.
    The half jackets are just extra long gas checks in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I have a few sets of swaging dies for half jackets and a fair amount of half jackets for them.
    I have HERTERS 9 ton in multiple calibers and a Hornady set up for 308 that is suitable for 30 Carbine.
    The Hornady makes bullets similar to the Speer 100gr Plinkers.
    I have made 38-125 grain bullets with no lead exposed.
    I like the Herters because dies are easy to make.
    The half jackets are just extra long gas checks in my opinion.
    I just got a 30 cal die and rn punch for a swage o magic with hopes of making bullets for 30 carbine however the stepped shaped bullets need to be seated quite deeply to not hit the rifling when bolt closes. What type of punch do you use and what is the final shape of the bullet nose?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I just got a 30 cal die and rn punch for a swage o magic with hopes of making bullets for 30 carbine however the stepped shaped bullets need to be seated quite deeply to not hit the rifling when bolt closes. What type of punch do you use and what is the final shape of the bullet nose?
    It is a RN HP, I have not made any in a while! I will have to make a few to see what they look like.

Boolit Bub
    I have a .452 and .429. CH dies. On the .429 I use .40 S&W cases for half jackets. I use a lee case trimmer with a 10/24 allen pan head screw turned down to the inside diameter. Cut to your desired depth. Insert a .358 157gr cast bullet and swage. Comes out to 224gr bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by wywindsor View Post
    I have a .452 and .429. CH dies. On the .429 I use .40 S&W cases for half jackets. I use a lee case trimmer with a 10/24 allen pan head screw turned down to the inside diameter. Cut to your desired depth. Insert a .358 157gr cast bullet and swage. Comes out to 224gr bullet.
    I am sure you probably know this already, but those 40's can also be used for the 45's. They just need to be well annealed to expand out enough.