Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Woodworking" with Bois D'arc/Osage Orange

Moderator Emeritus

Bow wood! I know a couple people who have made bows from the heartwood. Draw knife, back of a buck knife blade for a scraper... just keep working it until you get what you want. SHARP tools!

When I made (walnut) grips for my little 25 Auto, I used a piece of wood thick enough to make both grips. Shaped them to approximate finished size and shape; then split them in two with my dovetail saw. This insured that both grips are identical in outline.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Being located in Australia, I would like to see a picture or two of the woods that you describe.
    This is a piece of Osage that was just split. Have some in the firewood pile. Can see where the exposed areas are dark. This wood was kept under cover, it just darkens over time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OrangeOsage_3282a.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	312213

45_Colt

Here’s some pics that Hannibal sent of his Horse Apple stock. Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Here’s some pics that Hannibal sent of his Horse Apple stock. Nice work!

Thank you for posting these for me! Much appreciated!

Boolit Master
    I've always been very interested in finding some of the Osage Orange wood blanks to try making into handgun grips. I've only seen one tree locally here,, and it wasn't about to be cut down by the owner.

I wonder where a small amount of it could be found to experiment with?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I've always been very interested in finding some of the Osage Orange wood blanks to try making into handgun grips. I've only seen one tree locally here,, and it wasn't about to be cut down by the owner.

https://kjpselecthardwoods.com/colle...-orange-lumber

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think it has been mentioned yet. a carbide blade is a must in power saws.

Have cut right much for use in trad bows... it's hard on tooling(bandsaws). Great for risers because of the density and an uncanny nice,feel in the hand. Little sluggish on limbs(laminated) and the weight here isn't optimal. Overall a delightful bow wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    I don't think it has been mentioned yet. a carbide blade is a must in power saws.
    I don't agree on that. I used to cut a bunch of it with chainsaws and I never noticed it being any worse than any other hardwood such an locust or oak.

The biggest gripe I had with it is that it seldom grows straight, has a whole bunch of limbs and you wind up with more tops than logs. If you find a piece long enough for a full length stock then you hit the lottery.

Now. If it will only season without splitting every which a way. Paint the ends with a heavy coat of shellac and don't get your hopes up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I don't agree on that. I used to cut a bunch of it with chainsaws and I never noticed it being any worse than any other hardwood such an locust or oak.

The biggest gripe I had with it is that it seldom grows straight, has a whole bunch of limbs and you wind up with more tops than logs. If you find a piece long enough for a full length stock then you hit the lottery.

Now. If it will only season without splitting every which a way. Paint the ends with a heavy coat of shellac and don't get your hopes up.
    The splitting is my biggest problem with osage. I’ve had really nice pieces split all the way to the center, even when sealed on the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    The splitting is my biggest problem with osage. I’ve had really nice pieces split all the way to the center, even when sealed on the ends.
    Yes, it can happen. It is definitely not an easy wood to work with for things like gunsmithing projects, storage boxes or similar things.

Edit to add - my approach has been to let it season for several years and then when I 'slab' cut it with my chainsaw I follow the splits to remove them. I then let the slabs season another couple of years. All the seasoning is done inside with environmental controls. Definitely not going to be worth the trouble for everyone. I can say that I've yet to have any of it split again once I start working with it.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 03-27-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post

Rockler also has it. https://www.rockler.com/osage-orange...hoCJYcQAvD_BwE
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    theres quite a few in Tunica, Saw them often when surveying and hunting. Also seen the largest rattler Ive ever seen under one where the big green balls were littered all over the ground.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    theres quite a few in Tunica, Saw them often when surveying and hunting. Also seen the largest rattler Ive ever seen under one where the big green balls were littered all over the ground.
    That rattler may have been squirrel hunting over bait. Squirrels around here love horse apples.

Boolit Master
    Mercifully, I'm just trying to carve out some stocks/grips for a 1911A1, so not much thickness is required. The geometries involved are also fairly simple, so the good news is that the project is fairly simple. The BAD news is that, when it comes to woodworking, SO AM I.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Mercifully, I'm just trying to carve out some stocks/grips for a 1911A1, so not much thickness is required. The geometries involved are also fairly simple, so the good news is that the project is fairly simple. The BAD news is that, when it comes to woodworking, SO AM I.
    A simple project is the best one to start with. Just take your time and don't get in any kind of a hurry. If you're tired or aggravated resist the temptation to 'just get it done' and wait for another time. Gunsmithing projects are my hobby and I do them to relax. I wouldn't want a hobby that creates stress for me. I've already got plenty of things that I have to do I'd rather not. Have fun with it!

I grew up on Missouri farm and remember Osage Orange, Hedge and called it many other 4 letter names over the years. My grandfather used it for many fence post many that have lasted more than 70 years. I hated to cut them because it was more like a bush than a tree and had thorns that would reach out to stick you.
    In recent years I was told on a tour that it was used for building Civil War battle ships because it was hard a even shooting it with a cannon ball it was very durable.

It does have a tendency to warp and crack as it drys and hardens with age. I would want to dry it as much as possible to not have this problem in my finished work. So giving it an hour or more in the over with a low temp like 250 degrees would be my starting point. In my wood working I do this for many small wooden pieces to the point that I have a old oven in my shop to avoid trouble with the wife

Boolit Master

Osage orange trees

Here are 2 of the 3 trees on my property next to my patio. My guess is they are around 100yrs old as they were big when I moved here in 1968. They are male trees so I don't get the messy fruits in my yard. Whoever planted them knew what they were doing. My wife and I love these trees. Sorry about the sideway shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3888.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I have to say, I love Osage! The colors and character are great, and the wood has such variety from tree to tree. I have worked with pieces that were wide ringed and forgiving, and others that had paper thin rings that were a nightmare to follow. Fresh cut, the color ranges from electric yellow to burnt orange.....and it keeps changing and becomes more complex in appearance. I haven't made grips yet, but it's on my list!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast