RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best wood scraper for dollar?

Boolit Master

Best wood scraper for dollar?

I am tired of using glass as wood scrapers and would like to try metal. I see a bunch of them for sale and I can only imagine the cheap metal in those. Any body have a recommendation for a good set?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I make wood scrapers out of old files.
    I use either ones I wore out , or ones I found for almost nothing at yard sales.
    In some cases ,
    I ground them to special shapes or sizes for what I need to shape.
    I shape them or sharpen the edges on my grinder or disk bench sander.
    I have also sharpened them with my sidewinder grinder or even a disc or drum sander in my drill motor.
    Making stuff like that is easy and gives you a side project to work on when you have spare time.
    Plus it is recycling things to get more use out of them.
    I have also used old knife blades I pick up at yard sales

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use Fisher type scrapers, easily made at home. I made several odd balls for specific jobs. Jerry had a wide selection in his shop he had made over the years.

https://kurtthegunsmith.com/7-essent...er-stockmaker/
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I gave up on using glass many years ago. I can't remember ever getting a serious cut, but the threat was always there. When I was gunsmithing I ordered a set of Fisher, and then later Bone, metal scrapers from Brownell's and used them with satisfaction for about 30 years. They can be sharpened with a bench grinder.

DG

Boolit Master

Just make what ever shape you want from a old hand saw blade. Easy to cut roughly to shape in a vise with a sharp cold chisel then finish grind on a bench grinder then “curl” the edge with a burnisher.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    I cut up a old hand saw to what i need , grind to what you need.

Boolit Master
    as above; old handsaws. i cut mine with a cutoff wheel in a 4 inch dewalt grinder.

Boolit Bub
    power hacksaw blades are easy to shape and last quite well.

Boolit Master
    Bahco always made a good card scraper.

Boolit Buddy
    If you happen across anyplace that might get big heavy shippments, discarded pieces of the large size blued banding straps that are about 2" wide make excellent material for wood scrapers...And can be had Free..

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Make your own with old saw blades.

Broken metal saw blades make great scrapers either on their own or soldered or brazed to bars of mild steel. I usually braze and quench them after brazing. Thus they can be used for both wood and metal.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Bub
    Mark Novak (YouTube) shows you how to make a scraper in Thoughts on Stock Sanding. He explains the process very well.

Boolit Master
    Old blades from mowers should work. I got a couple really thick ones from the guy who does my repairs. He was going to scrap them and gave me couple. I was going to try and make a knife out of one. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I helped my brother in law( who has no tools) strip and refinish a dining room table and got so frustrated I repurposed a 3" metal paint scraper. I took some sandpaper and squared the edge off and it worked really well. It has a little flex but not too much so you could follow some of the imperfections in the wood. I have an old set of Diston cabinet scrapers and they have a slight amount of flex. They are a bit harder than the paint scraper and and hold an edge longer. The main idea of the scraper is to get a fine burr edge to cut into the wood. I have used sections of hacksaw blade if I want something a little more flexible.

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to suggest the Diston cabinet scrapers that I have and did a search to see if they are still available. They are selling them for $28.50 or more on ebay. I didn't know they were made out of precious metal. So they are not in the cheap category any more.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    i make my own but friend came buy with a set he bought from grizzly cheap that worked well and easily resharpened

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190ACF05-A8BE-4BAE-901F-473B0F26F541.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	312368

I make them out of spade drills.

Boolit Master
    Sandvic

I use old hacksaw or Skill saw blades, disk blades, etc. Cut the shape with an angle grinder the square the edge to the angle of the grip, wrap the grip with electrical tape.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast