Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Story of a man eating Siberian tiger

I live on the Red River of the north which runs from south of me to Winnipeg and lake Winnipeg some 200 miles north. Runs through some of the flattest ground on earth.

Go east or west from the river 20-30 miles and the elevation change is 150 to 250 feet. Yet from Fargo to Winnipeg is over 200 miles and less than 150 feet of fall. Averages around 6 inches per mile.

That river has some farmsteads along it but otherwise is sparsely settled with few improved roads. Lots of oak and Ash tree's and full of deer.
    So yes there are probably mountain lions within 30 miles at times. But they don't come into town. And if I go out into the woods fishing I'm both careful, and packing.

I've had situations in my past where the hair on the back of your neck goes up. You KNOW something is looking at you and drooling, and your instincts scream "get the heck out of here, NOW"

Well I listened to those instincts, so I am still here.

But even in California I bet Mountain Lions kill fewer than Leopards in a similar sized chunk of Africa.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I live on the Red River of the north which runs from south of me to Winnipeg and lake Winnipeg some 200 miles north. Runs through some of the flattest ground on earth.

Go east or west from the river 20-30 miles and the elevation change is 150 to 250 feet. Yet from Fargo to Winnipeg is over 200 miles and less than 150 feet of fall. Averages around 6 inches per mile.

That river has some farmsteads along it but otherwise is sparsely settled with few improved roads. Lots of oak and Ash tree's and full of deer.
    So yes there are probably mountain lions within 30 miles at times. But they don't come into town. And if I go out into the woods fishing I'm both careful, and packing.

I've had situations in my past where the hair on the back of your neck goes up. You KNOW something is looking at you and drooling, and your instincts scream "get the heck out of here, NOW"

Well I listened to those instincts, so I am still here.

But even in California I bet Mountain Lions kill fewer than Leopards in a similar sized chunk of Africa.
    Having something lurking and not knowing for sure is not good.
    In such scenarios having a dog has good and bad outcomes. The dog can tell if something is around and also can help deter it. On the negative side a dog might attract a big cat as an object of prey or the dog might actually go out to attack and get killed.
    India is where high victim account from big cats have occurred the most.

Mountain lions are around here, but seldom seen. However, about 10 years ago we had a very heavy winter and they were taking dogs and cats and even a goat out of a pen near a house. But, if you just go walking out in the woods looking for them you'll never see one. That's in the Cascade Mtn. Range of Oregon. Down in California they outlawed hunting them with dogs maybe 20 years ago, and they increased to the point that in some parts of the state there's no point in going deer hunting because the mountain lions have eaten them all. They do encroach into the edges of towns looking for prey, and joggers have been attacked, but the tree huggers attempt to suppress the news of such incidents. Back to where I live, it snows considerably every winter. Right now there is 5 ft. in some places, and the mule deer migrate away in the late Fall, eastward into the high desert. A deer up to it's belly in snow is easy prey for a mountain lion. They are around.

DG

Boolit Master
    One of the biggest mountain lions in Central Texas was taken a few years ago near Tarpley. Weighed 190 lbs and was almost 7’ long with its tail.

My son sent me some game cam footage from a month ago shot in West Texas near Van Horn; was a mother with three very healthy yearling cubs. All four were moving along about 10 pm near a cattle gate. I think there are a lot more out in the world than we imagine.

Boolit Bub
    Ive seen tracks of mountain lion about 15 miles south of Odessa,Texas in the middle of the oilfields! The thing was headed east. Game wardens lost track of the animal due to the geography of the area. I have witnessed a black panther East of Crane ,Texas about 30 years ago . Thing moved lightning quick at night while we were out hunting. Again, in the middle of the West Texas oilfields. This panther was also witnessed at the same time by my late friend Ron (RIP).
    The single most dangerous wild animal out here is the Mule Deer. Those things jump in front of speeding vehicles all the time. I took one out at 105 mph responding to an officers call for assistance. Only thing left on the front end that Chevy patrol unit was the left headlight, fender and tire. I liquified that buck and did about $8k in damages to the unit.

Many years ago we were driving between Texarkana and Queen City and a big black cat loped across Highway 59 a ways in front of us. One of those "Did you see that?" moments.

Boolit Buddy

It has been said that the mosquito is the most dangerous critter on the earth. They are responsible for more death and disease than any other creature on the planet.

in africa i saw a very large female lion(to me) take down a large blue wildibeast and kill it, we were about 80m yards from the action. we were still hunting eland and i had a cz 550 in .375 H&H with 260 gr soft nose bullets, it acted like we were not even there. i had my rifle off safety.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9030 (2).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	312646

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    in africa i saw a very large female lion(to me) take down a large blue wildibeast and kill it, we were about 80m yards from the action. we were still hunting eland and i had a cz 550 in .375 H&H with 260 gr soft nose bullets, it acted like we were not even there. i had my rifle off safety.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9030 (2).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	312646
    8o yards is often a safe distance as long the lion does not feel a threat to itself, its cubs, or its kill. While in the back of a truck with others I have been 20 yards or less of lions eating a kill and only the guide had rifle. These lions were more or less used to people and vehicles.

Boolit Master
    We have quite a few mountain lions here, a season on them. They mostly bother ranchers cattle.
    So far.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Gots a Hangover this morning...when I read the title, I thought..."wonder what they taste like"?????
    Me too.

In survival school we were taught while evading never to kill a village dog to eat, because a farmer will miss his dog and come looking. Barn cats come and go all the time and nobody is going to miss a feral cat.

The Other White Meat.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Me too.

In survival school we were taught while evading never to kill a village dog to eat, because a farmer will miss his dog and come looking. Barn cats come and go all the time and nobody is going to miss a feral cat.

The Other White Meat.
    Actually if you were raised out in the country and saw what "free range" chickens eat; then barn cats could not be near as bad. My grandma had free range chickens and their diet was kind of similar to carp, but ground based.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

A you are what you eat. Personally I'd pass on eating big cats.

B I happened to watch a youtube video of a leopard hunt in africa. Hunters were up high in a good blind. Range perhaps 35 yards. They had a dead game animal carcass wired between 2 tree's.

Hunter took the shot, leapard was face on to him, crouching low so really all he had was a head shot. It did not look, sound, or judging by recoil that it was a small caliber.
    In fact I suspect it was big.

Leopard took the hit dead center in the head, dropped for a second or 2, and for the next 30 to 40 seconds mauled the heck out of anything within reach.

5" tree branches shedding chips like they had been hit by a double bitted axe. Rear leg of the game animal bitten to the bone, and front claws shredding it.
    That cat died HARD, and slow. From what appeared to be a perfect brain shot.

Don't think I'd ever care to be in the same country with any of the big 3, Lion, Tiger, Leopard.

Mountain Lions tend to be leary of men. They have been hunted and hunted hard.
    And they are not that common this side of the Missouri. You hear talk of a straggler now and then in Minnesota and eastern ND. But not often.
    Where I live in the Northwest Washington state Mountian lions are prevalent and seen often crossing the roads, in farm fields or by hikers. Our school bus drivers see them often early in the mornings and always report by radio a sighting. In general, they run when seeing humans but we have had people killed by them as well. Two bike riders were attacked last year, one rider was being mauled so rider #2 threw his mountian bike at the cat whereby the cat dropped biker #1 then attacked #2, he was dragged off into the woods killed and partially eaten. Biker #1 got away injured and was able to call police who came and shot the cat over it's kill. Mountian Lions are very abundant in much of the west and when out away from the house here at home I do carry my revolver. Lots of our issues with cats is due to the stoppage of most all logging about 20yrs back that has reduced the deer browse to a minimum so the deere come down from the lower mountains to eat the fields and small farm grass pastures; this movement has brought many more cats into the area of urban homes and small farms as deere are the cats main food source although, they eat about anything. Our neighbors across the road have sheep, two cats came in the night killing 5 of them. one week later our other neighbor lost two 400lb steers he was raising up. If having cats, you will almost never see one, but they are there lurking around. Along the treeline, maybe 150 yds on the far side of our pasture, there is an old growth fir stump about 8ft across. The stump is partially rotted away so the backside is open so one day I looked in there; I found all kinds of bones both from deere and smaller game, mostly possum because we have lots of them here and the hair I saw looked like possum. Also some big Cat scat outside the stump a little ways off. Mostly we don't here of any issues but when we do, it makes ones hair stand up a little!

Boolit Master
    A you are what you eat. Personally I'd pass on eating big cats.

B I happened to watch a youtube video of a leopard hunt in africa. Hunters were up high in a good blind. Range perhaps 35 yards. They had a dead game animal carcass wired between 2 tree's.

Hunter took the shot, leapard was face on to him, crouching low so really all he had was a head shot. It did not look, sound, or judging by recoil that it was a small caliber.
    In fact I suspect it was big.

Leopard took the hit dead center in the head, dropped for a second or 2, and for the next 30 to 40 seconds mauled the heck out of anything within reach.

5" tree branches shedding chips like they had been hit by a double bitted axe. Rear leg of the game animal bitten to the bone, and front claws shredding it.
    That cat died HARD, and slow. From what appeared to be a perfect brain shot.

Don't think I'd ever care to be in the same country with any of the big 3, Lion, Tiger, Leopard.

Mountain Lions tend to be leary of men. They have been hunted and hunted hard.
    And they are not that common this side of the Missouri. You hear talk of a straggler now and then in Minnesota and eastern ND. But not often.
    I have been with in 20 yards or less of two mountain lions in Minnesota, watched one step off the road into high grass, as tail followed into the grass, could not see the big cat anymore, blended in perfectly. Neither cat cared much, that I was there. Timber wolves are a different story.. I lived with a timber wolve for over 10 years, his Favrot food was stray cat or skunk. He loved the lady's, when one came into the house, he would stick his nose in her crouch and lift her off the ground to smell, he tolerated me and my sons, he did not like any other males around, human or animal.. One heck of a sled dog, long, lean, tough as nails, loved to run, ate rough, never had a limp toug with him, loved that animal..
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 04-25-2023 at 05:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    when I first read the title my first though, I bet he roasted it over a fire, and, I wonder how it tasted.
    actually cat supposedly tastes pretty good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12