Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story of a man eating Siberian tiger

Boolit Master

Story of a man eating Siberian tiger

Between 1923 and 1926 three villages were subjected to not only communism, after the establishment of the Soviet Union, but another terror arrived in far eastern Siberia. During the onset of the cold Siberian Winter in October 1923 the first Siberian Tiger killings took place and lasted until April 1926 when the snows began to thaw.

It seems if the people known to have been killed are added to two the dozen that just disappeared that more than 50 people were killed by this tiger.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting video.
    What Winchester is the middle tiger-hunter holding at 3:04 in the video? The guy to the left of him appears to have a Berdan II.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Tigers are the animals I would be the most afraid of on Earth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Interesting video.
    What Winchester is the middle tiger-hunter holding at 3:04 in the video? The guy to the left of him appears to have a Berdan II.
    It looks like a '73 but might be a '76. Hard to tell from the pic.

Boolit Master
    Gots a Hangover this morning...when I read the title, I thought..."wonder what they taste like"?????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Gots a Hangover this morning...when I read the title, I thought..."wonder what they taste like"?????
    You and me both
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Long ago, I did eat African lion, at Safari Club banquet, there were many unusual meats there. I thought the same, do tigers taste like African lion, American mountain lion. It was(is?) common to eat mountain lion. If I was to kill a mountain lion I would certainly give it a try. We do know American mountain lions will kill AND eat people.

Boolit Master
    Anyone ever read the book about Jim Corbett, the Englishman who hunted man eating tigers in India? That guy must have had nerves of steel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BP Dave View Post
    Interesting video.
    What Winchester is the middle tiger-hunter holding at 3:04 in the video? The guy to the left of him appears to have a Berdan II
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    It looks like a '73 but might be a '76. Hard to tell from the pic.
    Remember the coast pacific coast and alaskan are not so far away and i could see a '73 winchester making it way over to siberia. Some of indigenous people used to travel back and forth to their relatives that could live on either side. Ammo might be the problem. Also the russians did fight the turks that did use the '66 winchester in a rim fire.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    A leopard ranks right there because of their speed and night prowling.

Boolit Master

Read Jim Corbetts adventures in India during the same time for hair raising encounters. That guy was the real deal.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Siberian Tigers are an endangered species. I read an article about them just a month or two ago. Seems that they've developed a taste for Russians, and some of the few remaining have been captured and sent to Ukraine.

DG

Hahaha, right there with you.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Funny....fool as a younger man, used to do tons of open ocean night dives. Now, lights-out by Jaws is probably my worst nightmare.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Siberian Tigers are an endangered species. I read an article about them just a month or two ago. Seems that they've developed a taste for Russians, and some of the few remaining have been captured and sent to Ukraine.

DG
    There may have been tigers in Ukraine in some isolated parts as late as 1970 depending on how one reads the below account from wiki. It depends on how 'in this region' is interpreted.

The Caspian tiger was a Panthera tigris tigris population native to eastern Turkey, northern Iran, Mesopotamia, the Caucasus around the Caspian Sea, Central Asia to northern Afghanistan, and the Xinjiang region in western China.[2] Until the Middle Ages, it was also present in Ukraine and southern Russia.[3] It inhabited sparse forests and riverine corridors in this region until the 1970s.[1] This population was regarded as a distinct subspecies and assessed as extinct in 2003.[4]

Results of a phylogeographic analysis evinces that the Caspian and Siberian tiger populations shared a common continuous geographic distribution until the early 19th century.[5]

Some Caspian tigers were intermediate in size between Siberian and Bengal tigers.[3][6][7]

It was also called Balkhash tiger, Hyrcanian tiger, Turanian tiger,[4] and Mazandaran tiger (Persian: ببرِ مازندران).[8]

Boolit Buddy
    That's because it should have been man-eating - but then who cares its a interesting story

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    You and me both
    Me too.

A you are what you eat. Personally I'd pass on eating big cats.

B I happened to watch a youtube video of a leopard hunt in africa. Hunters were up high in a good blind. Range perhaps 35 yards. They had a dead game animal carcass wired between 2 tree's.

Hunter took the shot, leapard was face on to him, crouching low so really all he had was a head shot. It did not look, sound, or judging by recoil that it was a small caliber.
    In fact I suspect it was big.

Leopard took the hit dead center in the head, dropped for a second or 2, and for the next 30 to 40 seconds mauled the heck out of anything within reach.

5" tree branches shedding chips like they had been hit by a double bitted axe. Rear leg of the game animal bitten to the bone, and front claws shredding it.
    That cat died HARD, and slow. From what appeared to be a perfect brain shot.

Don't think I'd ever care to be in the same country with any of the big 3, Lion, Tiger, Leopard.

Mountain Lions tend to be leary of men. They have been hunted and hunted hard.
    And they are not that common this side of the Missouri. You hear talk of a straggler now and then in Minnesota and eastern ND. But not often.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    In africa if you have problems with lions you set out a carcass and poison it with strychnine is a common practice and you likely kill many other things while you are at it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    A you are what you eat. Personally I'd pass on eating big cats.

B I happened to watch a youtube video of a leopard hunt in africa. Hunters were up high in a good blind. Range perhaps 35 yards. They had a dead game animal carcass wired between 2 tree's.

Hunter took the shot, leapard was face on to him, crouching low so really all he had was a head shot. It did not look, sound, or judging by recoil that it was a small caliber.
    In fact I suspect it was big.

Leopard took the hit dead center in the head, dropped for a second or 2, and for the next 30 to 40 seconds mauled the heck out of anything within reach.

5" tree branches shedding chips like they had been hit by a double bitted axe. Rear leg of the game animal bitten to the bone, and front claws shredding it.
    That cat died HARD, and slow. From what appeared to be a perfect brain shot.

Don't think I'd ever care to be in the same country with any of the big 3, Lion, Tiger, Leopard.

Mountain Lions tend to be leary of men. They have been hunted and hunted hard.
    And they are not that common this side of the Missouri. You hear talk of a straggler now and then in Minnesota and eastern ND. But not often.
    I know now that we have mountain lions just about everywhere that there are deer or something for them to eat. There is likely one within 10 miles of me as I type this in Northwest Florida. People only see them now an then because they tend to be elusive.
    We have river wetlands running for miles and large areas between subdivisions where the coyotes and critters are.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 23-36-34 Pace · Florida 32571.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	312171