MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolits That Don't Like to Fall Out of the Mould

Boolit Buddy

Boolits That Don't Like to Fall Out of the Mould

I don't mind casting boolits vs. purchasing them. Iron moulds are my favorite but lately the 6-cavity Lee moulds really increase yield in a short order. I hate beating on mould blocks especially aluminum ones. Have discovered a product made by the company that produces PB Blaster. They make a spray graphite. PB Graphite. Wow! Does it work on both iron and aluminum blocks. Cleaning a mould with thinner to remove the oil greatly reduces wrinkle boolits. But once the mould is clean a quick spray either on a hot or cold mould makes the newly poured bullet fall out. Sometimes a light tap with a hardwood stick will encourage a freshly cast boolit to bail out of the cavity. Also a quick spray on the sprue plate makes the fresh sprue fall off. When running my Magma Master Caster the boolits fall out of the mould much faster. The guy that traded me the Master Caster handed me a can of Zep Spray Graphite. But it is an industrial product and not as readly available as the PB Graphite. The ZEP Graphite spray works good too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blastergraphite.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	312091 Thought I would share my experience with casting lead boolits. Enclosed is a photo of the PB Graphite I bought in a hardware store.

Don't use too much or it can clog the vent lines and you can also lose some of the 'detail' in the mold.
    Midway does, or did sell a spray can of 'mold release'. It was just powdered graphite too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Be warned! That graphite spray is more of a mess coming out of the can than spray paint on your fingers.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Be warned! That graphite spray is more of a mess coming out of the can than spray paint on your fingers.
    I learned that myself.
    That stuff smears and tracks everywhere.
    It wasn't worth the hassle for me.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-24-2023 at 02:00 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    There’s a mold release from Australia (same company that make HiTek) that I have tried and like. It comes as a powder that you mix up with acetone and paint on lightly. It’s black, but I don’t think it’s graphite.

With aluminum molds I’ve learned to be careful pressing or rubbing on the mating surfaces right at the edges of the cavities. Even a wooden stick seems to create burrs or other edge irregularities that can make a previously problem free cavity unwilling to drop bullets.

I’ve never hit the blocks themselves; the bolt head or the side arms of the handles is what I aim for.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve often wondered about graphite for lubing the sprue plate. I don’t have too much trouble getting boolits to fall out, but do often give a tap or two on the handles.

Boolit Master

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5553986

Just a few posts away is a means of eliminating the necessity to purchase spray release.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    On Aluminum?? I have always simply smoked the cavity.. even mid session.. I'm already burning a candle anyway.. so....

For Lee 6 cavity that is balky do this. Get mold hot. Cast a few. Leave boolits in the mold after cutting sprue. Drill small hole in boolit base. Start small screw in hole in boolit base. Phillips head head that a socket will fit are best.Take boolits out if mold and coat then with bon ami or barkeepers friend. Put boolits back in the cavity they came out of one at a time. Leave a small gap between the blocks. Spin boolit slowly with variable speed drill while gradually closing the blocks. Clean blocks and repeat for each cavity.

Boolits will fall out of the mold like rain after this treatment. It is amazing.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    It's quicker and easier than lapping a mold but lapping solves at least three potential issues; under size, out of round, and failure to release.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    For Lee 6 cavity that is balky do this. Get mold hot. Cast a few. Leave boolits in the mold after cutting sprue. Drill small hole in boolit base. Start small screw in hole in boolit base. Phillips head head that a socket will fit are best.Take boolits out if mold and coat then with bon ami or barkeepers friend. Put boolits back in the cavity they came out of one at a time. Leave a small gap between the blocks. Spin boolit slowly with variable speed drill while gradually closing the blocks. Clean blocks and repeat for each cavity.

Boolits will fall out of the mold like rain after this treatment. It is amazing.
    Makes sense... Something I will try

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Makes sense... Something I will try
    Thumbcocker is right.
    The hardest part (for me) was mastering the feel when drilling the hole. Lead likes to grab the drill and spin with it. Once you get that down you're good to go.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Thumbcocker is right.
    The hardest part (for me) was mastering the feel when drilling the hole. Lead likes to grab the drill and spin with it. Once you get that down you're good to go.
    I guess if the drill grabs the Boolit... I polish with it that way!!!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I find lightly polishing the cavity edges with 0000 wool took care of all my hang up troubles.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I find lightly polishing the cavity edges with 0000 wool took care of all my hang up troubles.
    YEs..BTDT there are always "high spots" and Dings etc

Boolit Buddy
    I smoke my Lee 6 cavity molds. I have better luck using a plastic mallet than a piece of wood and tap the metal part of the mold handle closest to the aluminum mold. Where you tap makes a difference. Sometimes on the side the lead bullet is sticking. Sometimes on the other side. Sometimes I shake the heck out of the mold so it'll rattle and all the bullets fall out. Then, after I close my emptied mold, I tap lightly again on the handle nearest the mold for the pins to line up. It works for me.

Boolit Bub
    Buffalo Arms used to sell a mold release made by Rapine that was graphite suspended in alcohol. It's applied with a Q-tip. I've always found it to work very well. Still have about half a bottle left after about fifteen years.

Boolit Master
    I find that sticky bullets in aluminum molds can be related to mold temperature. When I start getting sticking, I set the mold down on my cement garage floor and let it cool down a bit.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    I don't use anything on my molds anymore (except for the pivot pin). Once I figured out mold temp, pot temp and cool time the bullets just don't stick.

I have lapped a Lee mold, but, it was due to being a tad undersize. After lapping it did release even easier.

Boolit Master
    Was using a Lee six banger yesterday and was having some sticking issues. Smoked the cavities with a bic and let the mold cool down a bit and that seemed to work pretty well. I have a small computer fan set up that I can park my molds under when they get too hot.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast