Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring Cartridge Pressure

Boolit Master

Measuring Cartridge Pressure

What do you do about measuring cartridge pressure?
    I found RSI Pressure Trace II, but that is overkill for what I want. I just want to know peak pressures for boolits that have no load data.

Boolit Grand Master

QL (Quick Load) can give you an estimate of the pressure. If you use QL just remember that "garbage in, garbage out", i.e. you must enter as much correct data as possible. Then you must understand the QL answer will still only be a questimate.

I've been measuring pressures of numerous cartridges for 15 years now using an Oehler M43 (no longer available) and am also using a Pressure Trace II system. Other than with such systems or a much more expensive systems, there is no way to measure the actual pressure of cartridges.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Allow me to throw a wrench in yer Monkey works
    Nope... changed my mind... I was about to suggest Primer appearance and my Method... But... Nope... Not a good Idea..

It would very expensive to get set up to measure absolute pressure.

Pressure bbl with transducer with SAAMI min chamber.
    Universal receiver (to hold psi bbl)
    Temperature and humidity controlled room to test in.
    Calibrated brass (to input slope and offset) or your own brass calibration system. Small bbl with chamber and transducer is pumped with hyd oil to prescribed levels and transducer output is recorded and plotted against hyd Pressure to develope a curve for each lot of brass.
    DAQ system
    Reference ammunition to calibrate your bbl. (Probably not available to non SAAMI members)
    Could use strain gauges on a rifle to compare with factory ammo. But that method would have the assumption ammo is loaded at or near SAAMI MAP and would not give you an absolute value just a comparison.

CUP method would be less expensive and does not require calibration for the brass cartridge. This will not catch peaks like piezoelectric transducers.

Boolit Master
    Not clear from your post what the issue is, but Just because there is not load data for a particular bullet does not mean there is a problem. Similar bullet, slightly heavier and similar bullet, similar case capacity can be used to find a safe starting point.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Could a water measurement of the case be used in some way as a comparison ?

Say bore dia. being equal and case shape being approximate ?
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    What do you do about measuring cartridge pressure?
    I found RSI Pressure Trace II, but that is overkill for what I want. I just want to know peak pressures for boolits that have no load data.
    Without expensive equipment the best you can do is measure velocity and compare to the most similar cartridge/load/bullet/powder for which you can find pressure data. For instance, I load cast bullets in a 30 BR long, I compare my velocity to 30-30 and 300 savage pressure data or max load data with the same powder and similar or the same bullets.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I am a retired engineer who had worked with calibrated equipment a lot. It is my opinion that there is no way to properly calibrate high pressure measuring equipment as there is no primary high pressure standard. The methods we use give us estimated pressures. These are useful indeed we use them a lot.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Not clear from your post what the issue is, but Just because there is not load data for a particular bullet does not mean there is a problem. Similar bullet, slightly heavier and similar bullet, similar case capacity can be used to find a safe starting point.
    Yes this is the best way. Data and start lower not too low.

Read a good manual. Should be a section on pressure and signs of too high.

Primers is one way, kick or recoil is another if you are used to shooting this
    firearm. Recoil should be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Without expensive equipment the best you can do is measure velocity and compare to the most similar cartridge/load/bullet/powder for which you can find pressure data. For instance, I load cast bullets in a 30 BR long, I compare my velocity to 30-30 and 300 savage pressure data or max load data with the same powder and similar or the same bullets.
    This must not be extrapolated to cover different powders, since fast powders must necessarily generate higher peak pressures for a given MV than slower ones. Velocity is responsive to Specific Impulse, which is pressure AND time related. Technically speaking it is the integral under the pressure/time curve from ignition to the point where the bullet exits the muzzle.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    This must not be extrapolated to cover different powders, since fast powders must necessarily generate higher peak pressures for a given MV than slower ones. Velocity is responsive to Specific Impulse, which is pressure AND time related. Technically speaking it is the integral under the pressure/time curve from ignition to the point where the bullet exits the muzzle.
    Excellent observation.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Agreed, must compare to data with the same powder and very similar bullet type and weights. Also consider barrel length and be conservative since we are just estimating.

Regarding area under the curve, I am not sure many members are familiar with analytical geometry or calculus. Yes, like Larry said, excellent observation. Just to throw some more into the mix, the area under the curve is PSI-Seconds. If you multiply PSI by the bore cross sectional area you get force, force times time is impulse. In theory you should be able to calculate velocity based on impulse but the drag of the bullet in the barrel is poorly understood and depends on many variables.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I am a retired engineer who had worked with calibrated equipment a lot. It is my opinion that there is no way to properly calibrate high pressure measuring equipment as there is no primary high pressure standard. The methods we use give us estimated pressures. These are useful indeed we use them a lot.
    I too am a retired engineer, but I am back working again on fun projects. Kind of depends on what you consider high pressure. We use calibrated test equipment rated for 30,000 psi. We are calibrated to a tenth of a percent across the whole range of 0-30,000 psi. We have to burst test 10,000 psi helium tanks; we must show a burst factor of 2 so we have to show they don't burst at less than 20,000 psi but we still have to try to burst them because we have a leak before burst requirement. This is for design verification. We also have to proof test all the production tanks to 15,000 psi. This must all be done with instrumentation that has NIST traceable calibration.

We could calibrate Larry's system up to 30,000 psi if he had a barrel threaded to accept a connection to our pressurization system.

Here is a for instance but this one is only good to plus or minus 0.2% of full scale.

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/additel...curacy/6833684

Tim

Use a 1/10,000 micrometer.

You need to start with virgin brass. Measure the base diameter just ahead of the extractor groove.

After firing, measure again. Method attributed to Vernon Speer.

Addendum :

This method does not measure absolute pressure. It gives an accurately measurable pressure comparison between loads, that works on any cartridge.
    Last edited by 414gates; 05-15-2023 at 06:02 AM. Reason: adendum,correction

Banned
    There is only one way to measure pressure and that is to have the proper instruments to do so.

Similar case volume isn't good enough. Just a different shoulder angle on similar volume cases can throw the pressure way off.

Similar bullet? Don't bet on that either. Many loading manuals will tell you not to swap a same caliber and weight bullet brand X with brand Y. Just a different lenght bearing surface can play havoc with pressure as can a different bullet jacket alloy.

Yes powders have burn rates. As Larry noted burn rate isn't calculatted with cartridges, it's closed bomb test. When the powder is inside the cartridge case the whole game changes and there are far too many things to name here that change it. Also don't assume different burn rate powders stay in the burn rate when compared to another powder that shows a slower or faster burn rate. Depending on the cartridge and the bullet they often switch places. To name two that switch places in this manner are 4198 and 4895 and there are more.

Don't bet your life on primers, a very bad way to just high pressure. Measuing expansion of the solid web portion of the case is a better thing. Again the best way is with pressure measuring instruments.

The only thing I can say about Quickload is that it can get mighty close. Like Larry said garbage in garbage out, but if you feed it all the right data it's very close. Those of you that have it know all the different data that can be inputed to it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    There is only one way to measure pressure and that is to have the proper instruments to do so.

Similar case volume isn't good enough. Just a different shoulder angle on similar volume cases can throw the pressure way off.

Similar bullet? Don't bet on that either. Many loading manuals will tell you not to swap a same caliber and weight bullet brand X with brand Y. Just a different lenght bearing surface can play havoc with pressure as can a different bullet jacket alloy.

Yes powders have burn rates. As Larry noted burn rate isn't calculatted with cartridges, it's closed bomb test. When the powder is inside the cartridge case the whole game changes and there are far too many things to name here that change it. Also don't assume different burn rate powders stay in the burn rate when compared to another powder that shows a slower or faster burn rate. Depending on the cartridge and the bullet they often switch places. To name two that switch places in this manner are 4198 and 4895 and there are more.

Don't bet your life on primers, a very bad way to just high pressure. Measuing expansion of the solid web portion of the case is a better thing. Again the best way is with pressure measuring instruments.

The only thing I can say about Quickload is that it can get mighty close. Like Larry said garbage in garbage out, but if you feed it all the right data it's very close. Those of you that have it know all the different data that can be inputed to it.
    yes, and no. I was talking about cast lead bullets and when I say similar, I mean alloy, weight and bearing length. I am not buying the idea that shoulder angle will make enough difference to be noticeable against all the other uncertainties. I am also talking about ballpark pressure estimates not precise pressure measurements. Just trying to ballpark a starting load and some idea when a load might be sneaking up on max. pressure but considering these are cast bullet loads, I don't really expect to be getting anywhere near the gun's capability. I am not going to be shooting cast bullets at 60,000 psi. I you have a cartridge with little or no load data, you use the data you have and a bit of judgement.
    I get no measurable head expansion on my 30br brass with cast bullet loads. That is no help on estimating pressure, and it does not help on picking a starting load, you have to pick a load before you can fire a shot to measure head expansion.

I don't use Quickload or other such programs. I am comfortable using similar loading data and some judgement.
    Tim

Banned
    yes, and no. I was talking about cast lead bullets and when I say similar, I mean alloy, weight and bearing length. I am not buying the idea that shoulder angle will make enough difference to be noticeable against all the other uncertainties. I am also talking about ballpark pressure estimates not precise pressure measurements. Just trying to ballpark a starting load and some idea when a load might be sneaking up on max. pressure but considering these are cast bullet loads, I don't really expect to be getting anywhere near the gun's capability. I am not going to be shooting cast bullets at 60,000 psi. I you have a cartridge with little or no load data, you use the data you have and a bit of judgement.
    I get no measurable head expansion on my 30br brass with cast bullet loads. That is no help on estimating pressure, and it does not help on picking a starting load, you have to pick a load before you can fire a shot to measure head expansion.

I don't use Quickload or other such programs. I am comfortable using similar loading data and some judgement.
    Tim
    All I'm going to say is shoulder angle can make a huge difference. The 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor are two newly engineer designed to burn powder more efficiently and in hopes of burning most of the powder inside the case rather then in the bore. I have the 6.5 Creedmoor and I'll say that they are correct as I've had some "different" things happen when using powders I've been using for many many years. But anyways I understand what you are saying.

Boolit Master
    A Chronograph is relatively inexpensive...
    If yer getting more velocity than everyone else...you are at Higher Pressure...

I am also talking about ballpark pressure estimates not precise pressure measurements. Just trying to ballpark a starting load and some idea when a load might be sneaking up on max.
    When you have a cartridge for which there is no powder data, such as yours with cast bullets, you can consult the cast bullet reloading manual and find a rifle cartridge with case capacity very similar, and bullet weights very similar, and use the starting powder load.

A quick search says the 30BR has the same case capacity as the 30-30.

30-30 cast bullet load data can reasonably be tried for the same bullet weight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    When you have a cartridge for which there is no powder data, such as yours with cast bullets, you can consult the cast bullet reloading manual and find a rifle cartridge with case capacity very similar, and bullet weights very similar, and use the starting powder load.

A quick search says the 30BR has the same case capacity as the 30-30.

30-30 cast bullet load data can reasonably be tried for the same bullet weight.
    That is exactly what I did. Worked out just fine.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast