Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Titegroup for .357 Magnum pistol?

Boolit Mold

Titegroup for .357 Magnum pistol?

Is Titegroup OK to use for .357 Magnum bullets? My bullets are vintage Carrol lead bullets...158 grain with copper gas checks.

Is Titegroup underpowered for a lead 158 grain with a gas check?

Thank you.

Hodgdon data says yes;
    https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=53
    Max charge of 5.0 grs @ 1100fps. That's not quite under powered.
    Deplorable infidel

I don't know about the .357 mag, but Titegroup is all I use for .44 mag for my Desert Eagle. And that takes a lot of guts to function it reliably.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I wonder how well TG does in .357 carbines? I would think it to be too fast for longer barrels, but I could be wrong.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Wondering the same thing as the OP. I just bought some Titegroup since it was available at a local sporting goods store at a great price. Hogdon reloading data shows data for jacketed bullets using about 5 gr. I am using moly coated 180s in my carbine, so I think this will be good for reduced loads with it being a fast powder. The typical 357 mag powders are usually much slower than titegroup and for pushing jacketed bullets very fast. My plan is about 1200 fps out of a 16” barrel. So I think this will work for my uses as a plinking load.

Boolit Master
    I have used lots of TG in midrange 357s.

Performance is actually pretty good. Cost per round is very good. Availability is good. Can be loaded way down (600 fps?) and still ignites reliably.

Downsides are well known:

• Charge will be very low in a long case. Double charges of TG are asking for trouble.
    • The powder "runs hot" for activities involving fast shooting.
    • The powder will attack the inside of a plastic hopper if left there after a session is over.
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-23-2023 at 07:27 PM.

Banned
    P Flados. Do you just use regular primers?

Boolit Master
    In the loading manuals I have they show the same loads for both rifle and handgun in 357mag load data. Barrel length has nothing to do with whether or not you can use it.

Boolit Master
    Since my first jug of TG (I think I am on my third 8# jug), my preference for TG has been been to use standard SPP for 327, 9mm, 38 SP, 357 mag & 357 Max (most have been S&B or GFL in the past decade).

Over the last year, my most commonly used primers are reloads. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Pics-and-Tips

TG "ignites easy" and does not need extra power from SPM. I have used some SPM and SRP mostly just due to what I had more of on hand. One gun (SP-101 327) got SPM to reduce piercing problems.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Since my first jug of TG (I think I am on my third 8# jug), my preference for TG has been been to use standard SPP for 327, 9mm, 38 SP, 357 mag & 357 Max (most have been S&B or GFL in the past decade).

Over the last year, my most commonly used primers are reloads. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Pics-and-Tips

TG "ignites easy" and does not need extra power from SPM. I have used some SPM and SRP mostly just due to what I had more of on hand. One gun (SP-101 327) got SPM to reduce piercing problems.
    Thanks P Flados!

Boolit Master
    I haven't jumped on the Tight-Whatever propellant train, so I guess I'm missing out on something. Maybe someday I'll learn what it is. Until then, I own too many medium-fast burning propellants already, to take on another one.
    Though I've obtained modest success using these in .357, to develop magnum-ish level loads, the use of something slower-burning is better-advised, and less nerve-wracking. I do not know how easy it is to double-charge a .357 Mag. case with Tight-Group, but it's darned easily done with other similar-acting propellants. Probable outcomes seem too daunting to warrant much interest.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Since my first jug of TG (I think I am on my third 8# jug).
    Wow! I’m loading titegroup using a 4.0 grain charge weight. I calculated my 8lb jug will load 14,000 rounds.

Boolit Master
    I've been using 4grs Titegroup under a 148 wadcutter, standard pistol primer for quite some time, works very well.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll reiterate the warning about double charging this powder at magnum loadings. A double charge fills just over half the case, and leaves you with a lot less of the case after firing.

Boolit Master
    I double checked. Actually I am on my second jug of TG and third of Promo. These two have been my preferred powders for lets say 85% of my handgun loads.

My first TG jug was ordered 10/4/16 when my first jug of Promo ran out (I was happy with Promo, but it was not available at the time). Except for full power magnum stuff, I used TG for almost all of my handgun loads for a while. Eventually powder availability improved and I made a big order late 2017 that included 2 jugs of Promo, a jug of Unique and a jug of TG. Delivered price for the overall order was $16.32 per pound. After the big order, I switched back to Promo for most guns, but kept with TG for a few things. Since then, I have used more TG for 9mm than anything else. I have probably 1/2 jug of TG and 1/4 jug Promo left. I keep watching for price/availability improvements and am nervous that I will have to re-supply before conditions improve much.

Boolit Buddy
    Have loaded thousands of 357mag, 160 round nose bullets using 4.5 grains of TG for my wife. Used Winchester Small Pistol primers. Shoot decent with no issues. I will mention that a 5 grain load of Bullseye is more accurate than the TG load.