Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 475 linebaugh

475 linebaugh

Just ordered a new Accurate #48-420lg mould for my 475 Linebaugh.
    I've never used a Accurate mold but have read good things about his molds.
    I figure this bullet should be a good thumper !! Anyone by chance has shot this bullet ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48-420LG.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	312034
    Last edited by FarNorth45; 03-22-2023 at 11:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be looking forward to your thoughts after you get set up! I cast RCBS 400 grain for plinking in a .480. Bought Cast Performance 410 WFNGC for carry. I've gone through all the RCBS bullets and hope to get some more made up when it warms up a bit. When I run out of the 410s I thought I'd buy a mold from LBT, when I got rich, but it looks like they burned down before I got there. I'm interested in how you like your mold.

I use an mp mold. It is the 477-640. It casts a 408 grain solid in my alloy, and a 385 large hp. I use these in a 480 ruger, and they shoot great.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    FarNorth45, glad you stepped up to an Accurate mold. Besides being very well made and very easy to cast with, Tom can also make slight modifications to dimensions before you order. If your particular gun needs a thousandths or two more diameter, longer or shorter or wider or skinnier nose, crimp groove in a little different place, lube grooves deeper or shallower, more or less of them, Tom can make that happen for you. And if your new boolit idea looks good to him, he’ll add it to the catalog.

I know they come with instructions to wash them and scrub a little with a soft brush before casting. I’ve done that and it works. But, I’ve also just cast with them straight from the box. Ususally it takes a couple dozen pours and the machining coolant residue burns out and the mold runs great. I find that faster than washing them.

I also use a drop of 2-cycle ashless motor oil on a Q-tip to lightly lube the alignment pins, top of the mold or underside of the sprue plate before every casting session.

How about some pics when you get some cast?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Thanks Guys ,
    I will post some pics and my results when I get the mould . He has posted 6 week wait on his website and I'm sure he is at least that far behind .
    I did change the bullet to a 476 , well I kinda left it up to him also and wrote in my cylinder throats is .476
    I also wrote in about the crimp groove , I want to make sure it is deep enough ...... I do not want any crimp jumping when my life may very well depend on it one day !!
    This is going to be put through a Freedom Arms model 83 and I also have a 480ruger cylinder for it so I will also be able to give you 480ruger guys some info back .
    Right now I am shooter the lee 400gr bullet through it with a fairly stout load of Little gun.
    I get a tiny bit of leading after 25-30 rounds and the lee bullet is a little long with small lube grooves ....... but shoots ok for the time being.
    I also have 500rnds of brass ordered through starline and hoping that happens before to long ha!ha
    I did have to trim my current few brass down in order to get a good crimp on the lee bullet and still had it jump crimp once with heavy loads .... but it was a little bit of recoil !!! I have since put slightly more crimp pressure and have not had a crimp jump in the last 50 or so rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    FarNorth45, glad you stepped up to an Accurate mold. Besides being very well made and very easy to cast with, Tom can also make slight modifications to dimensions before you order. If your particular gun needs a thousandths or two more diameter, longer or shorter or wider or skinnier nose, crimp groove in a little different place, lube grooves deeper or shallower, more or less of them, Tom can make that happen for you. And if your new boolit idea looks good to him, he’ll add it to the catalog.

I know they come with instructions to wash them and scrub a little with a soft brush before casting. I’ve done that and it works. But, I’ve also just cast with them straight from the box. Ususally it takes a couple dozen pours and the machining coolant residue burns out and the mold runs great. I find that faster than washing them.

I also use a drop of 2-cycle ashless motor oil on a Q-tip to lightly lube the alignment pins, top of the mold or underside of the sprue plate before every casting session.

How about some pics when you get some cast?

Thanks for the tips !!!! ,
    I have heard that Tom is great to deal with and that his molds are great .
    I ordered the steel moulds..... I really like steel molds better than aluminum.
    I also use 2stoke oil for lube most times , it just seems to work well for me .
    I have also went to strictly compression casting with a ladle. I just seem to get really consistent cast with that method and most of the time I'm casting large bore bullets . I started using a ladle for my 530gr sharps bullets and now that's all I use lol

Tom makes great molds, I have a few of his and his selections are second to no one and if his catalog does not impress you just tell him what you want. I would also encourage you to look for an MP hp mold in the aforementioned 640 style to add to your collection also if they are in stock if not get on the notification list.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FarNorth45 View Post
    Thanks Guys ,
    I did have to trim my current few brass down in order to get a good crimp on the lee bullet and still had it jump crimp once with heavy loads .... but it was a little bit of recoil !!! I have since put slightly more crimp pressure and have not had a crimp jump in the last 50 or so rounds.
    Can you explain this? I seat and crimp in 2 steps and use the Lee Factory Crimp Die for crimping. I don't understand why you trimmed the brass.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Can you explain this? I seat and crimp in 2 steps and use the Lee Factory Crimp Die for crimping. I don't understand why you trimmed the brass.
    The nose on a 400gr lee is to long in the Freedom Arms model 83 ....... well it is for me , it leaves no room what so ever at the end of the cylinder. I would say that it is perfectly even with the end of the cylinder and the slightest little bit of a jumped crimp would lock up the pistol .
    I care not to push my luck any more than need be do to caring it in brown bear country ha!ha
    I also seat and crimp in 2 different steps , but that doesn't change the crimp to nose length !
    It's not just me that has this issues with the lee bullet , I have read numerous reports of this from guys with Freedom Arms 475's .
    I can fit it in there but it is scary close and seems how my cylinder gap is only .001 .... I will not be taking that chance lol

Boolit Buddy
    Makes perfect sense. Thank you. I was worried I'm overlooked one of the super special secret details for reloading.

My rules for shooting: must be safe, must be reliable.

Upon reading your reply...I have a Dan Wesson .357 that I've tried to load Lyman 358429 ?, 173 grain swc bullets. It has a long nose and I have to have my dies set up just perfect to make crimping in the crimp groove work. When I change adjustment for other bullets, I have to go through the process of getting the right setting all over again. Most people just crimp over the last band or use .38 brass, neither method I like. I never thought about trimming some .357 brass just a hair to make it work and keep that brass sorted. I've retired that revolver from hot loads so the ammo boxes for it are marked just for that revolver anyway. Food for thought. Thank you. (I bought a Lee 158 mold to get around the issue but haven't started using it yet.)

Makes perfect sense. Thank you. I was worried I'm overlooked one of the super special secret details for reloading.

My rules for shooting: must be safe, must be reliable.

Upon reading your reply...I have a Dan Wesson .357 that I've tried to load Lyman 358429 ?, 173 grain swc bullets. It has a long nose and I have to have my dies set up just perfect to make crimping in the crimp groove work. When I change adjustment for other bullets, I have to go through the process of getting the right setting all over again. Most people just crimp over the last band or use .38 brass, neither method I like. I never thought about trimming some .357 brass just a hair to make it work and keep that brass sorted. I've retired that revolver from hot loads so the ammo boxes for it are marked just for that revolver anyway. Food for thought. Thank you. (I bought a Lee 158 mold to get around the issue but haven't started using it yet.)
    No problem,
    Yeah i could've crimped over the groove but really didn't want to do that.
    I just bought this pistol 3 weeks ago so I didn't have anything for 475 linebaugh or the 480 ruger cylinder . I put 500rds of 475 on backorder with starline and hoping it comes before long.
    I found a place that had some starline brass that was priced way to high , so I ordered 50rds@ $90 ... ouch !!!!! But I needed some brass!!
    Anyway I went ahead and cut it down to work safely and still have plenty of room for powder . I have put 24gr of Lil gun in the case without issues ..... what a hand full !! Lol
    So when my new brass get here I will trim these 50 brass down to fit the 480ruger cylinder.... if'n they are not wore out by then ha!

Boolit Buddy
    Can't help with the 475L, but I can spare some .480R FC brass, factory overrun buy. Looks like 100 will fit in a USPS flat rate box. I hear you on the brass shortage. I helped someone else out with some 480R brass that took me below my min. amount; I was loosing sleep worrying about not being able to get more. This brass popped up and I filled my min. amount and got an extra box. I let the buyer know about this stuff; it only lasted a couple of days. Strange times!

Let me know if you're interested and what you think it's worth. (less than $90 per 50!)

Edit: there was a guy on another site a while back that had a .475L for sale. He couldn't find any brass to fit his gun so he sold it???

While we’re on the subject, what’s everyone’s favorite bullet weight for the 475L and the 480R? I have an encore barrel in 475 and a Ruger in 480. I know they are close….just wondering what everyone prefers for bullet weights. Thanks.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by FarNorth45 View Post
    The nose on a 400gr lee is to long in the Freedom Arms model 83 ....... well it is for me , it leaves no room what so ever at the end of the cylinder. I would say that it is perfectly even with the end of the cylinder and the slightest little bit of a jumped crimp would lock up the pistol .
    I care not to push my luck any more than need be do to caring it in brown bear country ha!ha
    I also seat and crimp in 2 different steps , but that doesn't change the crimp to nose length !
    It's not just me that has this issues with the lee bullet , I have read numerous reports of this from guys with Freedom Arms 475's .
    I can fit it in there but it is scary close and seems how my cylinder gap is only .001 .... I will not be taking that chance lol
    FarNorth you might benefit from a modified collet crimp for your 475. Here is a post detailing my modifications to a Lee 45C collet crimp, they work really well and actually bring down the ES. This would be the most insurance you can get against boolit jump on recoil. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post2239315

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee c452-300RF with Collet Crimp.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	406.6 KB 
ID:	312227
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Can't help with the 475L, but I can spare some .480R FC brass, factory overrun buy. Looks like 100 will fit in a USPS flat rate box. I hear you on the brass shortage. I helped someone else out with some 480R brass that took me below my min. amount; I was loosing sleep worrying about not being able to get more. This brass popped up and I filled my min. amount and got an extra box. I let the buyer know about this stuff; it only lasted a couple of days. Strange times!

Let me know if you're interested and what you think it's worth. (less than $90 per 50!)

Edit: there was a guy on another site a while back that had a .475L for sale. He couldn't find any brass to fit his gun so he sold it???
    Thank you for that offer !! Very nice of you , but at this time I am making do with what I've got ........ my wife is great , even encouraged me to buy my new pistol ..........but after all my purchases, I'm starting to get the dredded death stare ha!ha

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    FarNorth you might benefit from a modified collet crimp for your 475. Here is a post detailing my modifications to a Lee 45C collet crimp, they work really well and actually bring down the ES. This would be the most insurance you can get against boolit jump on recoil. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post2239315

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee c452-300RF with Collet Crimp.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	406.6 KB 
ID:	312227
    Thanks !!! Looks like a good crimp , I will look into that and try it out . Thanks again!

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Lee Factory Crimp Die. IF I see problems I might try DougGuy's solution (thank you!); my loads are lite enough I may not need that much crimp.

FarNorth45: those .480 dies are $20 from the Lee site as a factory overrun.

Boolit Grand Master
    RIP John Linebaugh. You will be missed.

Boolit Grand Master

Yea, another revolver tinkerer that did alot for us.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Wow John passed that man has does so much for big bore handgun it’s incredible. I saved a scratched and worked many hours to own one of his guns. Every conversation he was helpful and friendly and so much knowledge which he always shared. RIP my friend.