MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goop as bore cleaner?

Vendor Sponsor

Trying new things is how we learn and advance. Some new ideas are a giant step backwards and mostly they fade away. Some ideas are outstanding and change everything. Let's not stop learning.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    What Chil Wills said +1
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I used goop in a spray can for sticky stuff. It didn’t work.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend who ran a printing shop years ago swore by Goop For his flintlocks. The trick now is Simple Green. It works, too.

Water. Plain tepid tap water.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

I have to believe that if you use Goop you'd end up rinsing with water anyway. Just an extra step?

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

What I have learned and what works best for me after over 6 decades of enjoying 18th century traditional muzzleloaders and cartridge guns of the 19th century is to keep the black powder fouling as soft as possible. After the last shot of the day is taken I'll use Ballistol or a moose milk variant to wet down the bore (and lock if it's a flint gun, and leave the wetted patch/jag/rod down the bbl) so that whence back at the ranch the real cleaning can take place. Failure to address black powder residue ASAP is what gets most guns in trouble and makes for a cleaning chore instead of 15 minute or less process.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master
    Goop is a hand cleaner that has been around before the internet. A Goop website is an appropriation of the name. I have used the hand cleaner to remove labels, oil stains, grease of my hands and stuff. Also as a degreaser/degunker on old military rifles. Find it in auto parts departments, auto parts stores, Amazon, some groceries. One of those things to just have around. No abrasives in the stuff I have.

Boolit Buddy
    In a pinch, windshield washer fluid. Works wonders, and relatively cheap.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

When I first started MLing about 30 years ago...I was clueless. I joined a MLers forum. (can't even remember the name of it now...I believe they are defuncted) The learning curve was pretty short. One of the things they were recommending for a thorough cleaning was a mixture of 1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap, 1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide, and 1/3 91% Rubbing alcohol. It really did clean the bore back to bare metal. Followed that up with a patch that had TC Bore Butter applied and you could store it until the next outing without rusting. I still use this mixture all these years later.

OK...time for a quick funny story.

About 25+ years ago, I was shooting with a buddy up in VT while on a business trip. We had a great outing one day/evening but I then had a dilemma. I had forgotten my cleaning kit. So...from my hotel....I filled the tub with water, submerged the barrel and flushed it out using some paper towels, and the ram rod. Now.....when I drained the tub.....YIKES....there was a nice 3" greasy black ring around the tub. Of course, there was no cleaning products left behind since it was a hotel and neither the soap nor the shampoo would cut it....I left the next morning....all I could do is leave a note that said "I'm sorry"......I look back now and I still fell bad about that one.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12