Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 18650 batteries consumer product safety commission warning

Boolit Master

18650 batteries consumer product safety commission warning

I just ordered a super green led light for night viewing that uses 18650 batteries. I just got a notice from ebay that there is warning for the batteries.

On goggle:

The Dangers of Loose 18650 Battery Cells
    Once shorted, loose cells can overheat and experience thermal runaway, igniting the cell's internal materials and forcibly expelling burning contents, resulting in fires, explosions, serious injuries and even death.
    The Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning customers against purchasing loose lithium-ion battery cells that can be used for vapes, flashlights and other small devices. In particular, the CPSC has issued a warning for 18650 cells, which are slightly larger than AA batteries and are typically manufactured as part of large battery packs. They’ve been popping up on e-commerce websites, though, separated, rewrapped and sold individually. CPSC says using the repacked cells could result in “fires, explosions, serious injuries and even death.”

According to the CPSC’s warning, ,the problem with repacked 18650 cells sold online is that they may have exposed metal positive and negative terminals. When they come in contact with metal objects, such as keys or loose change in the pocket, they could short-circuit and overheat. That could then cause the cells to spew out burning materials.

As The Verge notes, there have been documented cases of exploding 18650 cells over the past few years, but it’s not quite clear why the CPSC is singling them out when other types of lithium-ion cells could also potentially catch fire. That said, the commission’s warning seems focus on cells taken from battery packs — there are 18650 batteries sold with protection circuits. The CPSC says it’s now working with eBay and other e-commerce sites to remove listings selling loose cells.

Any lithium-ion battery is dangerous if mishandled or shorted.

I saw a guy with a very expensive Target Camera lose control of his rifle and punch through a lithium battery pack at 100 yards.

The battery lit off like a smoke bomb. Burned the entire system to ruin.

Do not puncture or burn any lithium cells.

Boolit Master
    Lithium batteries are like firearms ammo. Lot of energy in a small package and if mishandled can produce harmful or even deadly results. If you are going to use 18650 or other Lithium cells educate yourself. Lithium batteries sometimes but rarely have undetectable defects that cause them to spontaneously combust. I recommend you store them in a fireproof container. Laptops, EVs, cell phones and vape thingies can catch fire unexpectedly. It is rare but it happens. All that said, 18650's are the most powerful cells you can easily put your hands on and I have a few flashlights that use them. I use cells from disassembled cordless power tools and dead laptop packs but with informed care.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides