Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression?

Boolit Master

Depression?

--Well it's that time of year again. All of the game animal seasons have just about expired. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Its called Coyote time. Time to eliminate some of those fawn killers. Here in Va. there is no season on them & I kill a few during reg. hunting season, But now it's time to go & bust a few & make some test media out of a bunch & fill that hunting season void. I finally bought a FoxPro Inferno & I'm fixin to put it to work. I think a good flat nosed 30 or 35 cal bullet in the shoulders ought to do the trick. I really think the deer population is much better this year after I got 10 last year hunting & trapping. So does anybody else have the same itch to scratch?

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I’m always up for thinning the herd on the infamous yodel dogs! I have a new suppressor and a thermal I’m dying to try out !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Around here, spring turkey is up next, as well as groundhog, woodchuck if you prefer, any old time.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with you! Have seen some (at least one a few times) here on the farm, and I just broke out the .223. Soon as I load up a few, I'm off.

Boolit Master
    --Spring Gobbler starts here April 8th. & Ground hog is year round. Don't hunt turkeys much, The Yotes & Bobcats are realy hard hard on them & those egg sucking coons, skunks, & snakes. I really put the pressure on them here in the last few years & it is paying off. I like to call it the Predator's Predator. And have a good time doing it! Gotta keep those Vermins in check!

The wind was making some sheet metal squeak the other day and it sounded just like a turkey hen yelping!
    I swear it did……
    Come on, April!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    It's still a ways to springtime up in this neck of the woods, heck the snowbanks in the yard are 10 feet tall or more... but there is a crust on the 30inches of snow in the field that these buggers can trot right across. Well, except for this one-- not with cast but glad to be rid of another chicken thief..
    Big GooseClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Coyote meets 300 Holland & Holland.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	312075

Got my first groundhog of the year this afternoon. The 358 was pretty hard on him but what is left is in the instant pot now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Got my first groundhog of the year this afternoon. The 358 was pretty hard on him but what is left is in the instant pot now.
    So how do you prep groundhog?

Boolit Master
    Its sneaking up on the end of March so the grandson and I are off the coyotes. Were pounding the ground looking for shed antlers and are getting about 3-5 miles a day. In 3-4 weeks and we will be in morel season not to mention the walleye and crappies will be hitting. The days fly by way to fast.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Wild hog is always open around here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Pretty much like any meat in the pressure cooker (instapot). Cut up the groundhog like a rabbit, squirrel or other small game animals and season to your liking. That can be rolled in seasoned flour, seared in oil before cooking and then apply the pressure for about 35 minutes or so. It can be et in the quarter cuts or stripped off the bone and added to noodles, dumplings, gravy and biscuits, however you like to eat this type of small animal. I suppose it can be fried in a pan, too. Does it taste like chicken? NO! Not even close. Doesn't taste like rabbit or squirrel, either. The younger the better. Groundhogs can become fat and greasy, especially as they age and closer to Fall when they are packing on the pounds for the sleepy winter months.
    The last one I cooked up in the crockpot and then added the cooked meat with noodles, some veggies like celery, carrots, etc... My daughter and Son in Law stopped by and I offered them dinner. The SIL never turns down food so they sat to a bowl of this 'meat and noodle' dinner. Instantly my daughter, who was raised on rabbits, squirrel and venison, looked up from her now empty spoon and asked, "Dad, what is this meat?" She wasn't impressed. Frankly, neither was I. I won't claim to be the best cook, but I enjoy my cooking, but this whistle pig just wasn't to my liking, either. The SIL, who had never had wild game until he met my daughter? Wolfed his down and happily took the rest home to finish off. It never hurts to try it. You might love it or stuff the next one down its hole.

Boolit Master

I shoot Coyotes and trap them year round
    Mating season just ended
    I used a challenge call , 75% of the coyotes I got were males
    When the does are about to have fawns and till June I use a Fawn In Destress Call ( warning deer will also come to defend the "Fawn" and are looking to KILL )
    Then the young of the year coyotes are being taught by the parents to hunt , a mouse squeaker predator call works wonders pulling in the young
    In the fall I get them as I deer hunt , I use a mouse squeaker predator call or a fawn bleat call

Also Male ground hogs are just starting to come out looking for females
    Lots of easy hunting till late April or early May
    Then I have a lot of farmers that let me shoot all the ground hogs I want to protect the soybeans

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    ChristopherO answered as well as I could. This time I just skinned and cleaned him, quartered, and cooked for 35 minutes under pressure. Stripped the meat off the bones, and I'll fry it up with some onion and an egg for lunch today and tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    I shoot Coyotes and trap them year round
    Mating season just ended
    I used a challenge call , 75% of the coyotes I got were males
    When the does are about to have fawns and till June I use a Fawn In Destress Call ( warning deer will also come to defend the "Fawn" and are looking to KILL )
    Then the young of the year coyotes are being taught by the parents to hunt , a mouse squeaker predator call works wonders pulling in the young
    In the fall I get them as I deer hunt , I use a mouse squeaker predator call or a fawn bleat call

Also Male ground hogs are just starting to come out looking for females
    Lots of easy hunting till late April or early May
    Then I have a lot of farmers that let me shoot all the ground hogs I want to protect the soybeans

John
    Good info. I need to learn how to hunt coyotes, never gave it a try other than the odd shot where I happen to stumble on to one. Since I don't want to eat one I didn't pay them much attention but there sure are a lot of them around here.

I’m always ready for coyotes but I don’t hunt them much these days.
    They tune up every other night or so and my dogs stay on the porch.
    They ain’t as dumb as they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No depression here. Not everything I enjoy is hunting related, but much is. Went snow skiing in Michigan with my youngest son for a few days. Call coyotes with my oldest a few times as he is concerned about loosing a few calves. Actually attracted a few after many years of not blowing on a call. Turkeys never have caught my attention. By the time Spring arrives I am wanting to make more income and put more effort in my businesses.

This has been a great post hunting activity for my Oldest and myself: unthawing all the venison we packed away during the season to spend a full day grinding, seasoning, bagging and divvying up amongst ourselves and family.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meat Processing Bagging .jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	312191

Maybe another early season squirrel hunt/camping trip might work out this year, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    No depression here. Not everything I enjoy is hunting related, but much is. Went snow skiing in Michigan with my youngest son for a few days. Call coyotes with my oldest a few times as he is concerned about loosing a few calves. Actually attracted a few after many years of not blowing on a call. Turkeys never have caught my attention. By the time Spring arrives I am wanting to make more income and put more effort in my businesses.

This has been a great post hunting activity for my Oldest and myself: unthawing all the venison we packed away during the season to spend a full day grinding, seasoning, bagging and divvying up amongst ourselves and family.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meat Processing Bagging .jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	312191

Maybe another early season squirrel hunt/camping trip might work out this year, too.
    Best food is when you know where it came from.

Boolit Master
    I highly respect the Family Thing. God Bless!

I don't mess with yotes and Turkeys maybe a couple outings in the spring . Made some deer bologna a couple weeks ago maybe some jerky soon . NRA sillywets are shot year around just west of Richmond and that keeps me casting and and loading . I have some bonus work setting in the garage , a bucket full of targets to repair from years of getting smacked with pistol cartridge leverguns , a couple are pitted up bad looks like full house Hornet loads in hunters pistol . No cabin fever ( depression here ) , the only thing I miss out on is late season squirrels. I keep saying I'm going after the sqacks but never make it .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by marshall623; 03-26-2023 at 09:19 AM.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast