RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depression?

Boolit Grand Master

I would be a lot more bummed, but this ice fishing season has been out of this world. Definitely one for the record books. My first trip out was just before thanksgiving, likely either November 19th or 20th. As of now we have a few lakes that I'm in danger of bottoming out my ice auger, 36" to 40" of ice. Shorelines are as good as they ever are. The 10 day forecast does not show a warm up at all in the future, only a few days with highs just over freezing. Lots of snow still on the ground, especially around Aberdeen and farther NE. We are for sure going to be ice fishing past Easter, and there is a chance of having a full 5 month ice season this year. That's practically unheard of in the lower USA. I remember years I've been ice fishing before Thanksgiving. I remember 1 year I've been ice fishing in April, but it was kind of sketchy. The bite from November through January was phenomenal. February was definitely slow. March started off hot and cold. It's definitely getting really good now. The craziest thing is fish are still in a mostly mid winter pattern still. On a normal year most creek mouths would have pike and other fish going up them, and I've not seen a single one. Perch can be found shallow, but most everything is still deep.

It's crazy to think our spring turkey season starts in about 10 days. I haven't even shot my muzzleloading shotgun in a few months. I'm not planning on going out until at least May 1st at this point. I think I'm going to try the black hills this year.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-28-2023 at 11:56 PM.

It’s time to start kayaking (looking for hogs)here.
    Yesterday I checked my Maverick 20 gauge at 25 yards with two buck shot brands and a Remington slug.
    I think that it will work. I wouldn’t shoot very much much farther away than that, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting the new 6mm ready, a 24 Varmint, (6.8 SPC necked down) to 6mm with 40 degree shoulder and body blown out, with a Thor 4 thermal mounted. We have fox and yotes out but they are real skittish right now just aftr hunting season. I want to do a point blank type setting with it. I have a 250 meter rifle range on the farm, so can shoot actual distances.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Txcowboy, what thermal did you get? Thinking about getting one. Hear them howl at dusk at the ranch.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Anybody mess around with knocking back the racoon population? I am thinking about adding that to my winter to-do list next season. I hear they are rough on the turkeys and pretty fun to call in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinger87 View Post
    Anybody mess around with knocking back the racoon population? I am thinking about adding that to my winter to-do list next season. I hear they are rough on the turkeys and pretty fun to call in.
    I need to thin the tree pigs out. Nine fat ones in one game camera pic the other night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pinger87 View Post
    My state doesn't mess around. You can get $10 for every nest raiding predator you kill here, not just racoon.

Good thread here @versa-06 God Bless You. Don’t hunt anymore but love to hear huntin stories.

I got my range all year to test loads and shoot. There are a couple public places to go and plink, but closing up fast. Deer in my yard every day and the squirrels I talk to. Had my share of game to taste in the past. Not a hunter now, but appreciate the challenge of paper and steel.

Boolit Master
    Well I'm not completely depressed, I've been selecting a few rifles & matching point of impact on lighter & heavier loads. It's been keeping me pretty bizzy, along with setting up a few rifles recently purchased for next season's hunt. Also been casting & PC'ing quite a few bullets. Been coyote hunting a few times. Anything to keep me from loosing it before next hunting season. -06

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12