Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to Make to Predict Performance Against a Skull

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Dave View Post
    Not sure this will help the discussion in any way, but a friend of mine had to put down a donkey that had become quite insane. Estimated distance of 8 paces with a 9mm and fmj. The bullet bounced or skidded right off the skull without any effect at all except perhaps giving the poor animal more problems in the upstairs department. A lot depends on the angle of the shot. Human skulls are a lot less formidable, but with a .25 ACP it could do the same thing. The .32 S&W, I would tend to think would do better, as pure lead has a tendency to 'grab' better and break through. Just some thoughts.
    While I have never put down a donkey I have put down several horses. It's the same as hogs and cattle. A 22LR works fine if you hit them in the thin spot going into the brain. I've been told from the side in the ear works the same but I have never seen or done it. I started being the designated shooter for hogs and cattle at 7 or 8 years old when my uncle was having a hard time seeing the front sight. The extended family would get together and slaughter hogs and cattle in the spring and in the fall. When I was 7 or 8 he missed the mark several times with the 22 LR rifle on a steer and the bullets did flatten and basically fell straight down. That was a very long time ago and I don't remember if there was any bounce but I clearly remember watching the bullets flatten and fall. I have used a 22 Mag a couple of times on baloney bulls. I did use a 7mm Remington Mag on a car struck bull once. I did use a 12 gauge slug on a couple of others hit by cars. As a kid a worked 2 1/2 as a very small-town gas station. Car cattle, deer and antelope collisions were common. The wrecker had a single shot 22 and a single shot 12 gauge for that purpose. While technically not legal for game animals game warden and cops had no issue with putting down animal at the scene of a collision.

Again I have not seen it, but I have heard same failed results the with 38/357's when the hits were off the mark.

I have watched Buffalo being slaughtered with a 375 Winchester Levergun. Missing the brain will penetrate but it will not put them down. That resulted in a charge and the second shot hit the mark and did the job. Dad was the shooter. I still have both bullets.

With the low cost of subcompact 380's that is the smallest SD round I am willing to carry. I do carry a 22 LR as a camp gun at times but the intend targets would be rapid skunks or coyotes. If its two legged SD its 380 or larger.

Good video here on the 25 ACP

https://americanshootingjournal.com/...%20its%20track.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-25-2023 at 08:48 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Gotta watch out for those rapid skunks, quick little suckers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Gotta watch out for those rapid skunks, quick little suckers.
    My cousin was mauled by a rabid skunk when she was five or six years old. That was in the 70's when you needed the 21 shots in the stomach. She tried running away and fell down. She was in a swimsuit. First bite was in the ankle than stomach than face and hands. She still has some visible scaring on her face.

Shooting rabid skunks to protect kids and dogs is much preferred to pulling them off with your bare hands.

Couple of examples of adults here https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...s-17427766.php
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-26-2023 at 12:03 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I have pondered a similar project. I thought about some sort of building material somewhat like hard plastic. Haven’t tryed any yet. Considered putting pvc pipe in wet newsprint to simulate bone in flesh. Haven’t tryed that yet either.
    But there should be a cheap widely available material out there that would be repeatable. Actual bone is going to be hard to make repeatable. And that’s the crutch I believe. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Boolit Master

I know from experience that a 44 round ball from a cap and ball pistol will stop a wild hog. It was a strait on shot from about 3 feet. Didn't have any trouble penetrating the skull.

Boolit Master

Go to a Sam's or Costco and get you a 1 gallon metal can of cooked grits and bang away, should tell you what you want to know.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    Angle of impact is critical. No one would tell you that a 30-06 with 165 grain Hornady is inadequate for a head shot but I have seen a mid sized wild hog get shot in the forehead while it's nose was up looking at the hunter. This made a very shallow angle for bullet impact. At the shot the pig went down, you could hear the bullet whine off as it ricocheted off the pigs skull. As we stood there congratulating our selfs on on what amazing hunters we were the hog jumped up and ran off never to be recovered! The medical literature is full of instances of bullets big and small ricocheting off of human skulls.

The neck is a far better target to stop a fight. All the tissue is soft and a bullet hitting the spine in the cervical area will almost always cause at least temporary spinal cord shock causing the attacker to stop his assault instantly.

I have shot hundreds of pigs in our traps a .22lr does the trick just fine in the right spot.

I trust results on them more than I would shooting at dry bones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7C13F5ED-110B-43A0-A9F9-6E4CE2DBF3B1.jpg  

This one died about a month ago. From Johnson grass bloat.
    But that .380 is meaner than it looks….

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12