Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shingles vaccine

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    NO!
    <SMH> I don't think it's even POSSIBLE for someone to develop shingles from a weakened vaccine designed to protect against one of its "cousins", but I'm CERTAIN I've never even heard of it, much less seen it nor read about it. Making associations between shingles and a chicken pox VACCINATION (especially without evidence) is irresponsible and potentially dangerous.
    He asked a question for clarification. No idea how you made the jump to "Making associations between shingles and a chicken pox VACCINATION (especially without evidence) is irresponsible and potentially dangerous." We ask questions to learn.

Boolit Master

Had Shingles about 10 years ago. Hurt like the dickens. As soon as it started; went to Urgent Care. They gave me the "Shingles Shot" and it was gone two days later. Have not got any additional shots and do not intend to do so. Logic is similar to the Flu shot for me. I can get the shot and be miserable (Flu) for a week each year; or - I can get the Flu every 10 to 15 years and be miserable for a week. The math on not getting the Flu Shot works for me and I look at the Shingles the same way.

Last 3 years of observing the Massive Movement of CDC, NIH, etc... into dictating peoples lives has convinced me that not all "It's Good For You" shots actually meet that definition.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I've never had a reaction to a shingles shot. Probably because I've never had one.

Boolit Master
    I had the shot three-four years ago.
    Felt like the flu the first day, then it on the second day it felt like every body part I've ever injured was targeted and aggravated.
    But everybody I know who had actual Shingles said it was a whole lot worse than the shot.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I spoke with a dermatologist last year, and she told me that they're seeing a substantial increase in the number of shingles cases. Apparently, there's a certain "vaccine" out there that's stressing your immune system to the point that your weakened system can no longer suppress the chickenpox virus that's in your body if you had it as a kid, which results in shingles outbreaks in adults.

Boolit Buddy
    I had chills and body aches the day after i got the first shot. I had the same thing happen after the second shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I got Shingles, it took about two days to develop and I knew what it was and went to the Doc's office the next day. He prescribed an anti-viral and at the time, I was taking hydrocortisone cream and mixing it with Orajel, applying it topically, to numb the itching/burning sensation. Doc thought that was a good idea and to continue doing it. Breakout lasted about 10 days. Doc said I should be fairly immune from Shingles for about the next 5 years.

I haven't had the shot. Friend of my Grandfathers had shingles and it covered his entire head. He was in misery for over a month.

Boolit Master

The 2nd shingles shot stomped my butt for about 3 days. Felt like the old school, pre flu shots, flu. Battis is correct vis a vis the shingles etiology. Chicken pox is caused by a herpes virus (like small pox, genital herpes, fever blisters etc). Once infected, you are persistently infected, but your body keeps the virus "in check", but hiding in your nervous system. When your immunity slides for whatever reason, It emerges and causes nerve inflammation/ rash outside it's "hiding place". My doctor warned me that the 2nd shot might be problematic, but based on talking to people that had had shingles, I know it was worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If you have had shingles before are you protected ?
    Unfortunately no.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had about every bad side effect you can have from the shingles shots.
    The first one made my arm real sore, as the nurse jammed in the needle and injected me with a quick push of the plunger. Next one I told her to put the needle in slow, and inject it slowly. That one wasn't sore. It was the other after effects that were the problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I had my first shingles vaccine about a month or so ago.
    I am 68 with a suppressed immune dystem due to three of bouts of cancer and chemotherapy.
    No ill effects from the vaccine that I noticed.
    Also had Covid vaccine with two boosters, flu vaccine, pneumonia vaccine and tetanus with zero ill effects.
    I did have Covid before my initial vaccine and was very ill for two weeks and quite weak for s couple of weeks after the major symptoms went away.
    Didn't want to go through that again, so I got the vaccine. My wife and son both had Covid and recovered within a few days but both have lingering side effects. I have had no discernible lingering side effects.

Boolit Grand Master

Be aware that the shingles shot does not prevent shingles. It does prevent permanent nerve damage from shingles, however. Had both shots and had Chicken Pox as a child so I know I have the virus. I don't know, if you have the chicken pox vaccine, if you need a shingles shot. Check with your MD and ask him or her.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The injection I got at the VA clinic felt like King Kong punched me in the arm a few times.

Boolit Master
    I know several people who have experienced shingles. One of my long time friends got shingles and after a period of time the visible rash went away, BUT he was left with ongoing (nerve?) pain that made him miserable every day for the rest of his life. Yes, both Gail and I have had the shingles shot some years ago. Later the two shot one(s) came out and we got them as well. No reaction to any of them other than a bit of soreness at the injection site.
    R.D.M.

if ever having shingles, (I have) there was no complaints later when my doctor gave me the shots. Second shot was tough though, but only for a couple days. Hope I never get that stuff again!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    He asked a question for clarification. No idea how you made the jump to "Making associations between shingles and a chicken pox VACCINATION (especially without evidence) is irresponsible and potentially dangerous." We ask questions to learn.
    THIS was his entire post. What's in boldface is what I consider "irresponsible and potentially dangerous". Associating the use of getting a Chicken Pox vaccination with later having Shingles (without considerable evidence) may make would-be users question the use of both vaccines, most likely to the eventual detriment of their health.

Isn't shingles an expression of the chickenpox virus in us, possibly from the chickenpox vaccine most of us got when young? If that's so, why not just get another chickenpox vaccine to boost your immunity?
    I had shingles about 4 years ago. Lasted about two weeks on the major symptoms, but think I still have minute outbreaks now and then, very localized and small.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

No chicken pox, no shingles shot.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    The difference I see between Covid vaccinations and others are that vaccines for flu, pneumonia, and shingles seem to work. Not 100 percent but no treatment is. After watching my FIL deal with shingles in his late 70s, I can deal with a sore shoulder and flu-like symptoms for a few days. BTW, shingles shots are now covered by medicare.

Boolit Master
    I had shingles after to original one shot vaccine. Was uncomfortable for a weekend. Got the two shot vaccine about 3 years ago , no great problem. Don't know when you got a chicken pox vaccine. I have children that are 44. 42 and 38 years old. They never got chicken pox vaccines. #2 son brought chicken pox home and gave it to brother and sister. At age 50 they wii get the singles shots even if I have to come back from the grave.
    Granddaughter has got a chickenpox shot. Grandson at 6 month may be too young. He will get the shot when he is old enough since his parents are very pro vaccine,

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...
    I had my first shingles vaccine about a month or so ago.
    I am 68 with a suppressed immune dystem due to three of bouts of cancer and chemotherapy.
    No ill effects from the vaccine that I noticed.
    Also had Covid vaccine with two boosters, flu vaccine, pneumonia vaccine and tetanus with zero ill effects.
    I did have Covid before my initial vaccine and was very ill for two weeks and quite weak for s couple of weeks after the major symptoms went away.
    Didn't want to go through that again, so I got the vaccine. My wife and son both had Covid and recovered within a few days but both have lingering side effects. I have had no discernible lingering side effects.
    Hang in there.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast