Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shingles vaccine

Boolit Master

The first shingles shot did not bother me at all. When the 2 shot Shingrex became available my doctor recommended I take it also. The first one hurt a little a couple of days later. Didn't notice anything after the second. Don't remember if I ever had a chickenpox vaccination, but I did have chickenpox, a week and a half or more of constant itching.

Had the flu for the first time I know of last fall. Had a runny nose and a light fever, the fever lasted 2-3 days, the runny nose lasted about 10-12 days. Did not feel like any description of the flu I have ever heard of. I started feeling it a couple of days after my wife showed symptoms. She tested positive for flu and Covid.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the flu like symptoms the our the first shot, didn't think anything about it. Nurse never said anything about a possible reaction. Went back for the second one and this person said I could likely feel worse with the second one. I told him i had the chills and such with the first one as well. Sure enough, just like clockwork, almost to the exact hour, I got the same chills and shakes. At least this time I was expecting it.

Just got the the second today. Starting to feel draggy.

Was at the DR for something else , while there I got the covid booster , the pneumonia , and the first shingles shot. talk about getting your butt kicked. was ether freezing or sweating all night. So I figure it can't be any worse than that.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Had Shingles about 10 years ago. Hurt like the dickens. As soon as it started; went to Urgent Care. They gave me the "Shingles Shot" and it was gone two days later. Have not got any additional shots and do not intend to do so. Logic is similar to the Flu shot for me. I can get the shot and be miserable (Flu) for a week each year; or - I can get the Flu every 10 to 15 years and be miserable for a week. The math on not getting the Flu Shot works for me and I look at the Shingles the same way.

Last 3 years of observing the Massive Movement of CDC, NIH, etc... into dictating peoples lives has convinced me that not all "It's Good For You" shots actually meet that definition.
    I always get the flu shot. I never get sick, except for a sore arm for a day. I don’t get sick with the flu like I used to. Sick once last winter. I thought it was The unmentionable, but negative after testing. However, I can’t convince my wife to get flu shots. Everyone is different.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll not be getting it.
    Got the chicken pox shot, and got chicken pox.
    Got the flu shot, when it first came out, and got the flu.
    Haven't gotten any "preventive" shots since.
    Friend got shingles.
    Back, butt, back of legs.
    Pain walking, sitting, getting up after laying down.
    Blisters all over.
    He went to a remote beach that had tide pools.
    Water would surge in and out churning up the sand.
    He would soak in the pool, with nothing on, and it would tale away the scabs.
    Felt great after.
    While he was in the pool, a cop came by.
    Said he was trespassing and demanded he leave.
    When he got up, the cops saw his backside.
    Explained what he was doing, and the cop told him to keep on doing it.
    He would tell others to leave him alone.
    After a week he went back to the doctor.
    Doctor was amazed at how it was healing.
    Explained to the doctor and was told to keep on doing it.
    By the next week it was gone.
    He went and got the shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I had my second shingles shot yesterday, talk about getting my posterior kicked. The lady said I might get mild flu symptoms. I felt awful and though I was going to freeze all night. I was better this morning, just a little weak. Anyone else run into this ?

On the bright side I went to the foot doctor for a follow up for foot surgery. I have a bunion on my left foot. The doctor didn't want to get into breaking bones and resetting then as it might cause more problems than it solved. She did clean out the joint and get rid of the knot that had formed. The stitches were removed and everything is good. My toe does pull to the side but it is much more comfortable with the sore knot gone.

When I first met the doctor I thought they had raided the local high school. She is young and a small lady but sharp as a tack with a great bedside manner.
    I am quoting my own post for an update. About the time the shingles side affects wore off I picked up another virus. It has not been a good week.

Boolit Master
    For the record: Had chicken pox at 9, got the shingles vaccine last year. Neither injection seemed to affect me much, afterward. No shingles, to date, and am grateful.
    Sorry, also, if my reaction to possible misinformation was out of proportion, but it tends to propagate when it appears. This helps nobody.

The tide pool bathing anecdote related by ABUNAITOO is fascinating and, scientifically, COULD lead to a more generally applicable treatment. I hope the man's physician gets busy with following that up.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    My understanding is that if you had chicken pox, you have the residual virus in your system for life and it can, at any time, MIGHT manifest as shingles. Key word here is MIGHT! Lots of people never get the shot and never get shingles, SO, if you feel lucky------
    R.D.M.

The way my doctor explained it was if you had Chickenpox in the past, you have the potential to get shingles. He also said that a lot of cases are brought on by stressful situations. Just prior to the case of shingles I got I had had ankle surgery. According to my doctor, that very well could have been the trigger.

It would be interesting to know if there was an increase in shingles during the beginning of the pandemic.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    According to the DR (dermatologist) that I spoke with, there was definitely an increase of shingles cases in the past few years. Immune systems are being weakened by certain vaccines and the body can't fight off those dormant viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    My understanding is that if you had chicken pox, you have the residual virus in your system for life and it can, at any time, MIGHT manifest as shingles. Key word here is MIGHT! Lots of people never get the shot and never get shingles, SO, if you feel lucky------
    It's herpes, so yeah...
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    The docs say stress can suppress the immune system, allowing latent viruses like varicella-zoster to reactivate. Lots of stressors lately: the effects of the past three years on the economy, the development in many of chronic illness, social and political unrest, war initiated by a nuclear power, the list goes on.

Maybe the implication that certain vaccinations weaken the immune system has merit, but, if so, it’d be the first I ever heard of such a thing in any vaccine. Suspicions and speculations by one doctor turn into a broader concern when others note the same, and lead to investigation and conclusions reported after careful analysis, otherwise they remain unproven suspicions and speculations.

Some vaccines do help push down the rate of infections dramatically, usually in a situation where almost everybody susceptible is vaccinated and the infection hasn’t become very widespread and isn’t extremely contagious. It would be tempting but inappropriate to promote a vaccine as a guarantee against infection otherwise. Better to think of them as a way of decreasing severity of the infection, though there are many whose immune systems and native constitutions are enough by themselves (which can only be known after the fact by the passage of time without the shots).

It being a matter of risk versus benefit, I get the vaccinations for my age, not because they’re “recommended”, but because I know what they’re meant to protect against and I judge the risk of the shots smaller than the risk of the infection.

So I got the two shingles shots: sore arm the first time and nothing the second, and no shingles so far. Some other shots, like the flu and others, didn’t stop me getting a bit sick, but I’ll continue with them, since I think that risk is smaller than unvaccinated infection.

Boolit Master
    I must admit that I wasn't talking about the shingles vaccine (or flu). In fact, the "shot" that I was referring to isn't a vaccine at all, though it's labeled as such (mRNA).

Boolit Master
    Had my first bought of shingles last fall. Unpleasant to say the least. And the Docs nowdays won't give you anything for the pain. Took about 2 months to get over it. But I remain warry of the vaccines so I will roll the dice.

Yep, got my second shingles shot a few weeks ago. Felt awful for a day and a half, with body pain and ache. I said Shingles would be worse but of course that is not true.

First shot before Christmas, no problem but a sore shoulder . Second shot this past Thursday , I'm still getting over it . Fever , Body Aches , Weak . I think I got the second shot symptoms combined with the crud going around at work .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Honestly, these posts sound like horror stories. I don't remember anyone before the early 90's talking a Shingles. I guess we will all have to wait until what the long term effects of vaccine experimentation beholds upon those whom choose to partake.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Super Moderator

A contractor friend of mine got shingles. It went onto his genitals, and he was absolutely miserable for several weeks on end. Anyone whos has had chicken pox might want to consider getting the vaccine. I had chicken pox when I was six years old, so I probably need to get vaccinated too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I must admit that I wasn't talking about the shingles vaccine (or flu). In fact, the "shot" that I was referring to isn't a vaccine at all, though it's labeled as such (mRNA).
    A general discussion is as close as we’re gonna get for some topics. You can decide if what I said applies generally, specifically or both.

Many years ago I had the shingles and went to the VA to see my DR and he had me take a pill. It went away after a few days and while I seen him . He told me the shot would not help me. Since I got it already. I do not like to take shots if I do not need to. I have enough problems then to have some shot make me worst then I am already.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast