WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Super X .410 shells

Super X .410 shells

I saw them on the shelf at Academy.
    I did not fondle them so I don’t know if 3” or 2.5” or what size shot. $16 something a box of 25.
    I left them for others because I have a Mec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Thats about half what most are charging when they have them around Meridian Mississippi. Went the MEC 600jr route about a year ago since i own 6 410's always had a soft spot for them. Wish I did the MEC years ago, its a lot of fun.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I saw them on the shelf at Academy.
    I did not fondle them so I don’t know if 3” or 2.5” or what size shot. $16 something a box of 25.
    I left them for others because I have a Mec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here is what I found on the internet , the link to the place you said https://www.academy.com/p/winchester...ells-200038402 they are 2 1/2" and 71/2 shot .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Nothing in 410 at the big box stores around here. Like Electrod said, the last couple boxes I saw at a gun show were $30.

Boolit Master
    I saw one box at Walmart in Kalispell a few days ago. I think it was around $28. I don't by 410 shells, I use either 444 Marlin brass for 1/2 oz shells and brass shells I made from 300 Win mag for 3/4 oz loads.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen a box of 410's at any of the stores that used to have them around here in almost a year. Fortunately I currently have plenty but can't help but wonder what is going on.

Boxes of .410's were $12.50 when Walmart was selling 12 ga. for $22/100. If they've only increased the price to $16 I'd say that is a gift.

However I figured out when I bought my .410 O/U that If I wanted to shoot it very much,,, Like to get good with it?,,, I was going to have to reload them. I bought a Pacific DL 266 single stage For $250 and 1000 OF hulls for $150 and started loading them. Went thru the 1000 the first time but it was taking too long, so last year I bought a Pacific DL366 loader so I could go faster.

It is a PITB and super finicky to use, and there ain't no instructions on how to make it work, and Hornady is of exactly no help whatsoever!

I end up loading most of the many times fired hulls on the single stage because I can control the crimps, which is the first thing to go bad on a Used Hull and the thing that gets screwed up by the DL366 every time!. I can load the newer hulls on the 366 but as soon as the crimps start to get weak it crushes them which throws a Monkey Wrench in the whole operation. I can save these hulls by loading them on the Manual Machine where I can position the hull under the Pre-Crimper so it doesn't crush the crimp and then the Final Crimp will close it perfectly. I can get a few more firings like that.

At .15 each, which is the going Rate for O/F AA .410 hulls, you don't want to lose too many of these and you want to get as many loads out of each one as you can. .410 hulls might make 4-6 reloads before they are trash. As soon as the Crimp Splits, you get one last load and then in the trash they go. It's heart breaking and I feel like I've lost a friend every time I have to pitch one.

I love my Browning Citori Sporting Clays 32" O/U and that's why I go to the trouble of reloading .410's. Just get a MEC and be done with it. You won't regret it and you will always be able to sell it when you are done and not lose one cent!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1450572.jpg   1450573.jpg   19219.JPG   19202.JPG   19195.jpg  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-09-2023 at 02:41 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Was at Wally II here (two Wallys, Wally I never had/has .410, period, never seen it there) and they had Win AA .410 loads (only .410 loads they had) and bought a box at $16 because I haven't seen a box of .410 caliber ammo (yes, it is a caliber. Or 67 ga, 67 1/2 ga. or 68 ga, depending on who you believe) any where for about 3 years. Since I now have a near life time supply (I have a Savage FOUR-Tenner I want to play with, so may get a second box as a spare) of .410 (seen the new 3" 28 gauge shells coming out? THAT should put the final nail in the .410 coffin!) as I do not consider it useful for much. I could have bought Win AA 12 ga shells for $4 less!

Boolit Grand Master
    Haven't shot a round of skeet with them yet, but have some 9.3x74r brass loaded up with about 3/4 oz of 9 shot. Will see how they work and last. Have my MEC set up and a bunch of 2.5" hulls ready to load if need be

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Boxes of .410's were $12.50 when Walmart was selling 12 ga. for $22/100. If they've only increased the price to $16 I'd say that is a gift.

However I figured out when I bought my .410 O/U that If I wanted to shoot it very much,,, Like to get good with it?,,, I was going to have to reload them. I bought a Pacific DL 266 single stage For $250 and 1000 OF hulls for $150 and started loading them. Went thru the 1000 the first time but it was taking too long, so last year I bought a Pacific DL366 loader so I could go faster.

It is a PITB and super finicky to use, and there ain't no instructions on how to make it work, and Hornady is of exactly no help whatsoever!

I end up loading most of the many times fired hulls on the single stage because I can control the crimps, which is the first thing to go bad on a Used Hull and the thing that gets screwed up by the DL366 every time!. I can load the newer hulls on the 366 but as soon as the crimps start to get weak it crushes them which throws a Monkey Wrench in the whole operation. I can save these hulls by loading them on the Manual Machine where I can position the hull under the Pre-Crimper so it doesn't crush the crimp and then the Final Crimp will close it perfectly. I can get a few more firings like that.

At .15 each, which is the going Rate for O/F AA .410 hulls, you don't want to lose too many of these and you want to get as many loads out of each one as you can. .410 hulls might make 4-6 reloads before they are trash. As soon as the Crimp Splits, you get one last load and then in the trash they go. It's heart breaking and I feel like I've lost a friend every time I have to pitch one.

I love my Browning Citori Sporting Clays 32" O/U and that's why I go to the trouble of reloading .410's. Just get a MEC and be done with it. You won't regret it and you will always be able to sell it when you are done and not lose one cent!

Randy
    My loading rate for
    410's on a progressive are half of 12,20,28 ga. Rates. About 175 / hr. What does your platen or shell plate look like on your 366? It is thicker as compared to a 12 ga 366? I have an issue with 410's getting a slight curve (banana) after firing. The curved hulls really slow you down on a progressive. Like you I use my 266 most of the time. I can load 150 ish 12 ga on a 266 and probably 125 ish 410's / hr. Mainly due to nonauto primer drop on the 410. 266 is much faster than my Mec 600.

Boolit Master

Nobody's gonna put the final nail in the coffin of the .410.....Its here to stay.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Nobody's gonna put the final nail in the coffin of the .410.....Its here to stay.
    The 410 is a great utility gun.

Boolit Master
    most costly to buy loaded factory ammo. cheepest to reload
    wouldnt reload shot shells if it wasnt for the 410

plus you have a excuse if you miss

Boolit Master

The 410 is a great utility gun.
    amen
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

A .410 is the first gun for a lot of young shooters.
    It is a shame the ammo is so expensive.
    A .410 is not perhaps the best gun for a new shooter, but if they can master it, they will be able to use anything.
    When I used to hunt, I shot most of my pheasants with a single shot Western Auto bolt action .410 shotgun I got for Christmas when I was a teen.
    I still have that old shotgun and a few years ago added an old Savage over and under .22 LR and .410, also have a Bond Arms Cowboy in .410 and 45 Colt.
    Almost forgot, I have an AR in .410 I have never fired.

Boolit Master

The 2 WalMarts that I visit regularly have not had any 410 ammo in over 2 years.

I own one 410, a Winchester 37A single, have bought one box of ammo for it but have not fired it since I acquired it. Have some 9.3x74R brass that I may use for slug loads if I can find time to play with it.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

I just won an auction for 100 9.3 x 74r brass and ordered 2 boxes of 410 brasserie last week. I just hit send on an order from Buffalo Arms for nitro, fiber and over **** cards and an Amazon order for water glass. Need to find some mylar sheet and bug shot cups, BPS is out.