RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital caliper

I'm sure those $50 Mitutoyos on ebay are pretty nice.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    [QUOTE=DougGuy;5553220]I'm partial to my Mitutoyo but you have to manually turn it off and it doesn't do fractions. It IS accurate and consistent. I've never had a caliper that did fractions that would be a luxury for figuring out which socket should I use for this bolt?[/QUOTE

I like mine but the fact that it doesn’t turn off bothers me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    I'm sure those $50 Mitutoyos on ebay are pretty nice.
    Lots of those are counterfeited so only purchase from verified sellers.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Lots of those are counterfeited so only purchase from verified sellers.
    They obviously have inferior fit & finish and electronics, but I would imagine they are still better than Harbor freight's by a long shot.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master

I ended up with 2 Mitutoyo dial calipers when I retired. Everybody wanted digital. Seems they couldn't accurately read the dial. I've been using them for the last 17 years.

I also got a Brown & Sharpe micrometer that uses vernier for the last significant number.

I would like to have a vernier caliper just for the bragging rights that I can use it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

They obviously have inferior fit & finish and electronics, but I would imagine they are still better than Harbor freight's by a long shot.
    Not obvious at all that counterfeited products are any better, or even as good as, than the cheapest legitimate branded imports. At least with HF they will stand behind their products. Good luck with the counterfeits. Appearances mean little if they don't adhere to certification standards.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Not obvious at all that counterfeited products are any better, or even as good as, than the cheapest legitimate branded imports. At least with HF they will stand behind their products. Good luck with the counterfeits. Appearances mean little if they don't adhere to certification standards.
    I've watched a few videos of people comparing the real Mitutoyo & the knockoffs, they are copied to great detail, the slide is very smooth. the biggest give away is the inefficient electronics in the copies, they drain the batteries quicker.

Boolit Grand Master

I've watched a few videos of people comparing the real Mitutoyo & the knockoffs, they are copied to great detail, the slide is very smooth. the biggest give away is the inefficient electronics in the copies, they drain the batteries quicker.
    But how do they do if they are tested for certification?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-23-2023 at 12:32 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I ended up with 2 Mitutoyo dial calipers when I retired. Everybody wanted digital. Seems they couldn't accurately read the dial. I've been using them for the last 17 years.

I also got a Brown & Sharpe micrometer that uses vernier for the last significant number.

I would like to have a vernier caliper just for the bragging rights that I can use it.
    I have a Starrett vernier caliper that the foreman gave me some 45 years ago when I hired into Crusader Precision Sheetmetal. I used it for a couple years before my prospects improved enough to upgrade to a Starrett dial. The foreman didn’t want the vernier back, and no subsequent employees could be bothered with it either. It sits in my tool box still as accurate as your eyesight can make it. For me that means use the dial.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Yeah, those vernier calipers can make you go cross-eyed! Still, as others have said, they're almost indestructible.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    Decent digital calipers are so cheap these days, if the battery is still good, toss the caliper in the trash and get a new one.
    I've got dial calipers from Hornady and Mitutoyo, and digital calipers from Browne & Sharp and SPI. If I ever question their accuracy I can double-check them against one of my Starrett micrometers (I also have the standards for the mics). I don't think they've ever been 'off' by more than .0002"
    I don't recommend shopping for rock-bottom-priced measuring equipment because if it's too cheap it most likely is junk but your calipers don't have to cost a fortune.
    https://bestofmachinery.com/best-digital-caliper/
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Found one I'm going to try.

iGaging IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper 0-6" Display Inch/Metric/Fractions Stainless Steel Body
    Amazon $29.95

Thanks Ya'll

Boolit Buddy

Excellent choice. Mine is dead on per my standards and every pin gauge I've checked it against.

I've got a fake Mitutoyo I'd give away, can't keep a battery in it long enough to make it worth using.

Boolit Master

My experiences with digital calipers are mixed and mediocre as well. Used with consistent technique they’re about as accurate as my Starrett micrometers. A long time ago I bought a 4” digital from HF just to measure cartridge and loaded overall lengths. They work fine for the intended purpose. Battery life is just OK. Another older set of better but not high end calipers started acting up with the defective digits, fading display and errors. It ended up in the trash since several battery changes didn’t help. I replaced it with a set from HF that display in inch thousandths, inch 1/128th fractions and mm. One of the biggest annoyances with it is that if it’s either left at a measurement, still turned on or if it’s turned off without returning to zero it resets to zero wherever it’s left. The other problem is a user problem. I can easily think in 1/64” measurements because I’ve used drill bits in 1/64” increments since I was a teenager. It takes more effort to think in 1/128” terms and nothing else I own has that increment. If it displayed in 64ths followed by a + or - to show over or under the nearest 64th it would be much easier to use. In time I’ll get used to it. I’ve only had it a month or two.

I really prefer dial calipers for most uses. They’re in agreement with the micrometers to scant tenths of a thousandth. They never have dead batteries. The only thing that they don’t do is switch from inch to metric and that’s pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post

Been using vernier measuring devices since college so I know how. No problem with drafting machines and micrometers. Picked up a vernier caliper at a great price at a swap meet last year. I agree with the comments that they are challenging on the eyes. I can read a dial caliper without readers on. For the vernier caliper I need about +3.0 to +4.0 cheaters.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Got it today.
    Review in the equipment section.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12