Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 1903A3 question

Boolit Master

1903A3 question

I’m interested in a 1903A3 with a P stamped behind the trigger guard on the stock. I know this is a proof mark meaning it’s been fired. My question is when did they do this? On unissued guns when first built or re-built ones?

All new guns (at the factory)and arsenal rebuilt ones are proof marked after they've passed firing a over pressure load.
    The proof mark will be stamped on the barrel, not the stock.

Normally, a rebuilt gun will have a new barrel, and it will have one proof mark.
    If the barrel wasn't changed, all it will show is the original mark from the factory when it was produced.
    If the original barrel & reicever are good, it won't be proofed again.
    Stampings on the stock mean other different things.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-21-2023 at 10:17 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    All new guns (at the factory)and arsenal rebuilt ones are proof marked after they've passed firing a over pressure load.
    The proof mark will be stamped on the barrel, not the stock.

Normally, a rebuilt gun will have a new barrel, and it will have one proof mark.
    If the barrel wasn't changed, all it will show is the original mark from the factory when it was produced.
    Stampings on the stock mean other different things.
    The P on the stock is a proof mark and is on all new guns. If it has been rebuilt, in will get a another P marking on the stock. That said, I am not sure if the P indicated a "proof" load of just that the gun fired.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My son has mine now. Otherwise, I would be looking to see if it had a P stamped on the stock. I remember proof stamps on the barrel.

Boolit Master
    Clark Campbell's book "The 03 Springfield Rifles' Era" quotes the following Remington contract specifications requirement

F-3d. Proof Marking. The person doing the proof firing shall place the proof marks in the location prescribed on the drawings on each accepted barrel, bolt, receiver and on the stock of accepted unit assemblies at the time of proof firing.

A stock not having a circled P, could have been sanded off during a rebuild, and given another inspection stamp by another arsenal, or stock could have been replaced in field. If rebuilt later by Remington, it may even have a second smaller circled P stamp behind a partially sanded original proof.

Boolit Master
    The P on the grip isn't a proof mark. It's just the stamp given it upon final assembly/inspection to indicate the rifle as a whole is complete and ready to go.

Boolit Grand Master

FYI; Many M1903s were converted to M1903A1 configuration [simply by replacing the straight grip stock with the C stock with pistol grip] down to company level and those would not have a "P" stamped in the stock until the rifle was inspected or rebuilt at a higher echelon, usually at Corp or arsenal level.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    <snipped for brevity>A stock not having a circled P, could have been sanded off during a rebuild, and given another inspection stamp by another arsenal, or stock could have been replaced in field. If rebuilt later by Remington, it may even have a second smaller circled P stamp behind a partially sanded original proof.
    If I may present an alternative scenerio just as likely as those you present.....

Picture 1968. Southern California. A sixteen year old kid gets his first rifle: a 03A3 from Western Surplus store on Lankershim Blvd in North Hollywood in the San Fernando Valley (SFV). It cost $59 and there was a rack of 10 to choose from. None are perfect but hey.. its a genuine '06, a real rifleman's caliber.

But it had a repaired stock. Ugly. Brass pins. No problemo, amigo. The Director of Civilian Marksmanship sells spare parts. A beautiful stock came very cheap. It looked just like it was put there by some PFC in the Ordnance Dept depot in 1946 where it was deposited from storage having never been issued during WW2. Cheap rifles in 1968. Pretty much unwanted due to the rough machining. A ~real~ rifleman (even age 16) wanted a genuine Springfield Arsenal 1903 rifle.

Martin Retting, Culver City, California. Last catalog before Gun Control Act of 1968 took effect.

This from "The Springfield 1903 Rifles" by Lt. Col. William S. Brophy, USAR, Ret., pg. 565:

Proof Firing: Proof marks shall be placed on the barrel, bolt, and receiver as prescribed in par. 1-1a. In addition, the letter P, 5/16 inch high enclosed in a circle one-half (1/2) inch in diameter , shall be placed on the bottom side of the stock directly to the rear of the trigger guard.

As all rifles were proof tested it may be safely assumed that all rifles originally left the arsenal/factory with the circle P mark on the stock. Stocks not bearing the circle P are replacement stocks, not on the rifle originally and therefore not marked.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Learn something new everyday. I thought it was an inventory character from the Picatinney Arsenal.