MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly moving to Skinner - Leu 2.5 x 20 Ultralight still sold?

Possibly moving to Skinner - Leu 2.5 x 20 Ultralight still sold?

Pretty pleased that a cheap pair of low power readers might have fixed my problem with using the Skinner. My son's 336 30-30 has the Alaskan on board and I can use it just fine.

So, I've long wanted to jettison my Leupold 2.5 x 20 Ultralight on board my guide gun in favor of the peep, but am not sure the Skinner will work for me as the sight radius is shorter on the guide gun than my son's 336 (or 38-55 1906 Winchester, for that matter). If I have to scope a lever, the scope I have is just about ideal for its low profile and suitability for northern timber hunting.

However, I may have to buy it again if I sell it - would need to do that to make $ room for the Skinner. I'm not seeing it anywhere available and am wondering it the scope is no longer produced. Anyone know?
    Last edited by huntinlever; 03-21-2023 at 03:53 PM.
    -Paul

FWIW, I talked with Leupold and though the FX II ultralight is still produced, it's only rarely and the best bet, they said, is to get on backorder. I am having a second look at the 1.5-5 x 20 VXIII, with opinions welcome as to mounting this one (if needs be) on a GG. Much pricier than what I have now, but as a possibility down the road if the Skinner doesn't work out.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    Paul, how rapidly are your eyes deteriorating? That will influence whether to try and go for a few more years with the Skinner sights.

If you think you will need to use a scope in a coupe of years, it could make sense to “suck it up” and invest in the scope now.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Paul, how rapidly are your eyes deteriorating? That will influence whether to try and go for a few more years with the Skinner sights.

If you think you will need to use a scope in a coupe of years, it could make sense to “suck it up” and invest in the scope now.
    You're right Don. I'm good now with these low power readers, but I have to admit odds aren't in my favor over the long haul. In truth I love this fixed 2.5X, and I know it really well. Glass is great and the wide duplex is my favorite reticle. Bad move to sell it off. Thanks for the note.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Look for a Weaver V3 1-3x20. I have one on my 336 Texan and love it. This is a quality Japan made scope and I actually like it better than the Leupold VX-1 and 2.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Look for a Weaver V3 1-3x20. I have one on my 336 Texan and love it. This is a quality Japan made scope and I actually like it better than the Leupold VX-1 and 2.
    Hey Ferguson, thanks. If I end up selling off the Leu to make room, I'll look into the Weaver - great to know. At the end of the day, I have to say, I really do love the existing Leu, so I should probably just hold off selling it. The Skinner isn't really that expensive, things are just a bit tight right now and it will have to wait.
    -Paul

No prob. Still kicking myself for not buying a closet full of them for $129.95 when I had the chance.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

No prob. Still kicking myself for not buying a closet full of them for $129.95 when I had the chance.
    Yeah, I've had a lot of those. For myself anyway, I seem to be master of great ideas that have already taken off.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Have a Leupold 1.5-5 and a 1.5-4 on my Ruger #3's and like them, I too am a woods hunter and don't need the power or bulk of larger scopes. Seem to be very few options for scopes in the fixed 2.5 to 3X range anymore. Recently bought a like new Weaver 2.5 as insurance, IIRC was about $80.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Have a Leupold 1.5-5 and a 1.5-4 on my Ruger #3's and like them, I too am a woods hunter and don't need the power or bulk of larger scopes. Seem to be very few options for scopes in the fixed 2.5 to 3X range anymore. Recently bought a like new Weaver 2.5 as insurance, IIRC was about $80.
    Jury is still out for both of us if the Skinner will work - working up a load with LVR at the range tomorrow, only at 50 yards, and I'll be trying it with simple full-lens 1.5X safety glasses. If it ultimately won't work, that Leu 1.5-5 is almost certainly going on board. I won't get rid of my FX 2.5X, seems like it's married to my gg, but that 1.5-5X seems a perfect solution. Thanks on the Weaver note, too.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    For actually shooting in thick timber, a PROPERLY MOUNTED low power scope is superior to and just as fast as any iron sight. You don't 'buck brush', you pick a hole though the brush and shoot through it. I suppose if you sit in a tree/blind with cut shooting lanes over bait at 50 yards plus/minus, any sight would work just fine but for game moving through timber the scope is better. A scope does interfere with that handy one-handed carry that the Savage 99, Marlin and Winchester do have. I suppose a receiver or open sight MAY BE more rugged(?) but a quality scope, properly mounted is very, very tough. Occasionally, a shot well beyond a 100 yards might appear, a 2.5x works fine, even past 300 yards. I have an older Leupold 1.5-5x on a Savage 99 .358 and a Leupold 2.5x on my 1895 Marlin .45-70. I do have two Savage 99's,both Featherweights, a .300 and a .308 with Williams receiver sights. We carry them when it is raining or snowing too hard to keep a scope clear, and when we have an elk to pack.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 04-10-2023 at 11:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    XS makes a scout scope base for the '94 and I put one on my wife's rifle as well as on my JM 336. That allows you to carry the rifle in the normal way and something like the Burris 2.5x scout scope seems to work well. I wish Nikon still made scopes as their small 2x pistol scope does well in a scout mount. I have one on a Rossi '92 and I wish I had a couple more. GF

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    For actually shooting in thick timber, a PROPERLY MOUNTED low power scope is superior to and just as fast as any iron sight. You don't 'buck brush', you pick a hole though the brush and shoot through it. I suppose if you sit in a tree/blind with cut shooting lanes over bait at 50 yards plus/minus, any sight would work just fine but for game moving through timber the scope is better. A scope does interfere with that handy one-handed carry that the Savage 99, Marlin and Winchester do have. I suppose a receiver or open sight MAY BE more rugged(?) but a quality scope, properly mounted is very, very tough. Occasionally, a shot well beyond a 100 yards might appear, a 2.5x works fine, even past 300 yards. I have an older Leupold 1.5-5x on a Savage 99 .358 and a Leupold 2.5x on my 1895 Marlin .45-70. I do have two Savage 99's,both Featherweights, a .300 and a .308 with Williams receiver sights. We carry them when it is raining or snowing too hard to keep a scope clear, and when we have an elk to pack.
    A low power straight tube scope is my favorite for hunting in the woods. The visibility in dim light when targets present themselves is alot better, and the magnification helps if a longer shot presents itself. Biggest deer I ever took was at 40 yards in the dim evening with my little Weaver 1-3x20 atop my 336 Texan. I was able to place the slug with laser precision and he only went 20 yards. I am realistic about my marksmanship, and if I was using sights I may have placed the bullet in a lethal but less than optimal place and he could have ran a long way.

Thanks guys, yes, at least for me agreed. I took my son's 336 with Skinner on board to the range today and though I was able to get 2 MOA (meaning - 1" at 50 yards, not 2" at 100), it was a struggle for me to see well enough at 50 yards. I know I'd never be able to take a much longer shot. At least, not comfortable to shoot quarry with this shooting. There is a bead front sight and I suspect it would be easier to get a tighter picture with a Patridge, but it's still a very limiting factor. For me I can let the peep go, and we'll see with my son. I'm recommending a Lo-Power scope for him as well. I'd love to mount the FX II on his but I suspect they can't be found anymore. Probably a 1.5-5X.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think you are doing too bad. You hear about really great shooting with peeps on targets, but that's a different ballgame. It's really about light and backdrop. In the real world I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable shooting peep sights beyond 150 yards under good conditions, being full daylight, and good backdrop such as a hay or crop field. Woods hunting rarely has either of those things, although I've never been in woods that offers such a shot anyway. Instead I find the two biggest struggles are low light, and small brush that appears nearly invisible to the naked eye. Scopes fix both those problems. I'm very much against fixed power scopes for anything, but a fixed 2x or 2.5x wouldn't be the worst choice ever here. I'd still choose a 1-4x every time though. A fixed 2.5x is just giving up some ability under 30 yards, and over 200 yards, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Thanks guys, yes, at least for me agreed. I took my son's 336 with Skinner on board to the range today and though I was able to get 2 MOA (meaning - 1" at 50 yards, not 2" at 100), it was a struggle for me to see well enough at 50 yards. I know I'd never be able to take a much longer shot. At least, not comfortable to shoot quarry with this shooting. There is a bead front sight and I suspect it would be easier to get a tighter picture with a Patridge, but it's still a very limiting factor. For me I can let the peep go, and we'll see with my son. I'm recommending a Lo-Power scope for him as well. I'd love to mount the FX II on his but I suspect they can't be found anymore. Probably a 1.5-5X.
    Most recent Natchez flyer says they have the Leupold 2.5x20 in stock for three bills.

Most recent Natchez flyer says they have the Leupold 2.5x20 in stock for three bills.
    Thanks - but website shows it as OOS. I see a lot of the companies still list it, but they're all currently OOS. From what the Leu guy told me, they haven't stopped production but it's very limited. He said, kind of like watching Starline, keep going back to the retailers then pounce.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't think you are doing too bad. You hear about really great shooting with peeps on targets, but that's a different ballgame. It's really about light and backdrop. In the real world I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable shooting peep sights beyond 150 yards under good conditions, being full daylight, and good backdrop such as a hay or crop field. Woods hunting rarely has either of those things, although I've never been in woods that offers such a shot anyway. Instead I find the two biggest struggles are low light, and small brush that appears nearly invisible to the naked eye. Scopes fix both those problems. I'm very much against fixed power scopes for anything, but a fixed 2x or 2.5x wouldn't be the worst choice ever here. I'd still choose a 1-4x every time though. A fixed 2.5x is just giving up some ability under 30 yards, and over 200 yards, but it works.
    Thanks. I think I can finally put to rest my attachment to peeping my guide gun, and suspect my son will as well. I really love the 2.5X, but then I've had it and used it for many years. From what everyone tells me, that Leu 1.5-5X (and I know there are many others to choose from) is about as perfect a scope for the lever as they currently come. I'll be looking for something in this range.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Thanks - but website shows it as OOS. I see a lot of the companies still list it, but they're all currently OOS. From what the Leu guy told me, they haven't stopped production but it's very limited. He said, kind of like watching Starline, keep going back to the retailers then pounce.
    Yeah, I was about to place an order and discovered everything I wanted from the flyer was no see um.

Boolit Master

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast