RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: .30 carbine pet CB loads

Boolit Mold

.30 carbine pet CB loads

Morning again guys,

Anyone have any cast pet load data for the .30 carbine they'd be willing to share?

Due to the scarcity (ie expense) of shooting jacketed, I'm looking to try some factory-cast bullets, hopefully they'll run fine in my M1. Bayou bullets sells some coated ones that look promising, anyone have any hands-on experience with 'em?

Appreciate any and all feedback!
    Tom

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry, I only have "pet" 30 Carbine loads that use GC'd cast bullets because I want accuracy at the full velocity potential of the M1 carbine. PB'd bullets have never performed well above 1500 fps +/- in the M1 carbine. I suppose they make good plinkers out to 50 yards or so though. If plinking was what i was looking for with a 115 - 120 gr PB cast bullet I'd try unique starting at 5.0 gr and work up looking for 100% functional reliability along with accuracy in the 1400 - 1600 fps range.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Hi there,

Sounds good on the GC bullets, makes sense! What are your recommendations for GC rounds? Mold, powders etc.?

Haven't bought any of the bullets yet, just digging around to see what some of the go-to favorites might be for folks before I go and buy a bunch of stuff

Thanks a bunch!
    Tom

Boolit Buddy
    I've had excellent luck with cast using the Lee 113 grain "soup can". I had to set the bullet slightly deeper since it is a flat nose. Just set it so it chambers. Accurate as all get out. Rings the metal gongs all day long...ymmv

Mine likes the Lee 113F so that’s what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

TbG

If ya don't mind my asking, where did you get that carbine stock?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

TC Louis, that stock is factory. It is a Howa Sporter carbine. I’ve only seen this one. I’d love to get another one if I ever get a chance.
    Apparently Howa produced the M1 Carbine with our permission. A search online showed military types and two different sporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

The classic 30 Carbine cast bullets are Lyman's 311359 and the 311316, both 118 gr. The Lee 113 and 120 gr cast do very well also. I also shoot a lot of the 313631 which is a 105 GC'd SWC made for the 32 H&R and, unfortunately, no longer in production.

I've shot a lot of H4227, 2400 and a couple other powders but for the last 30+ yars I've mostly used H110.

My shooter M1 carbine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0807181055.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	311978

Some loaded rounds with different bullets

Name:	DSC00357.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	311979

The 313631s HP'd for vermin up through coyote

Name:	001 - Copy (4).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	311980
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Every time an M1 picture shows up I'm tempted to go out and buy one

Would look really cool next to the Garand and 1911.

Larry, which stock is yours?

Boolit Grand Master

It's a Fajen stock. Saw it in a waste can in a gunshop years ago probably 20+ years back. Front end was bubba'd up pretty bad, and the smith said he didn't have time to mess with it. He put the action in an issue stock and sold the M1 Carbine right away. He said I could have it if I wanted to mess with it. I built the front end (where the barrel band fits on) back up with bedding compound, reshaped so the band when tightened fits into a groove so the band retainer isn't needed. You can see the front end is still short.

The price was right.....
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    LOL, good deal. And a nice job. If we still had a place out in the country I'd have something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by signalcorpsoperator View Post
    Morning again guys,

Anyone have any cast pet load data for the .30 carbine they'd be willing to share?

Due to the scarcity (ie expense) of shooting jacketed, I'm looking to try some factory-cast bullets, hopefully they'll run fine in my M1. Bayou bullets sells some coated ones that look promising, anyone have any hands-on experience with 'em?

Appreciate any and all feedback!
    Tom
    Interesting.... someone on the AR15 forum asked the same question.

I bought 500 of the Bayou Bullets some time back just because they were so cheap.

I loaded them over AL2400; 12.0 gr. netted a bit over 1800 fps and 13.0 gr. right at 1900 fps, and much to my surprise, no leading at all. Loaded to 1.675" in one of my I.B.M. carbines they just touch the rifling-

Accuracy in the I.B.M. was so-so..6" - 7" at 100 yds.-

In some of my Standard Product they group somewhat better-

I think part of the problem is the off-center sprue cuts-

...which played havoc with groups, especially at 200 yds.

But, my Iver Johnson shot them quite well-

I would suggest you look for either an RCBS 30-115-SP or a Lyman 311576.

Bullets from the RCBS mold resemble the profile of a 110 gr. FMJ and closely follow the trajectory of said bullet. Loaded over ~12.0 gr. of AL410 or 13.0 gr. of 2400 they run a bit over 1900 fps and are VERY accurate, in some cases more so than jacketed bullets-

Bullets from the 311576 mold are at least as accurate as those from the RCBS mold. I've gotten some really nice groups from these bullets-

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Here's a good one for Blackhawks or single shots. Scoped 7 1/2 Blackhawk 50 yds. (10)
    3.6 Bullseye
    115 Missouri PCHC .309
    CCI spm
    PPU case
    1.600 oal
    925 fps ES 15

Name:	20230402_130238-1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	312516
    Last edited by Jcm800; 04-02-2023 at 07:46 PM.