Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 auto - "CB bear loads"?

Boolit Mold

.45 auto - "CB bear loads"?

Morning all,

I've heard rumblings of some heavy loads for .45 auto, reportedly there was some writings doe this done back in the 80s?

Anyone have any data like this they'd be willing to share? Just curious to see what's out there.

Thanks!
    Tom

In all respect, why would you want to?

Boolit Grand Master

255gr swc 8.5 gr Bluedot 1.210" OAL. It's a listed load, but I can't recall where. That should be a standard pressure load.

Not a handload, but my son bought some 45 ACP + P "Outdoorsman" from Buffalo Bore (255 gr. Hard Cast FN @ 925 fps/M.E. 484 ft lbs). Supposed to be pretty stiff but to be honest my son didn't find it much out of line with other ammo he shoots. FWIW. Can't comment on the cartridge for bear (not sure if you mean hunting, or defense), not knowledgable enough. My go to there was .44 mag loaded hot, and hard cast WFN bullets.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

How big of a bear?....Treed Black Bear or a charging Grizzly at bad breath range.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Mold
    Afternoon everyone,

No particular reason, just general curiosity more than anything honestly. I've got a .44 Mag and a .45 Colt, was just curious to see if there were/are any "thumper" loads out there for the old ACP.

Appreciate the info gents!
    Tom

Boolit Master
    8 grains of power pistol and a 230 truncated or the wonderful saeco 058.

Boolit Master
    There’s load data for Ramshot Rnforcer in .45ACP, but they removed this from the newer manuals.

Boolit Master

Speer #11 and #13 both have the Speer 260gr jhp under stout loads of Herco and Unique probably at least as stout as factory .45Colt.............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    ddixie884 beat me to it. The Speer manual details the use of the 260 gr. bullet, normally used in .45 Colt and its use in the .45 ACP platform.

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman bullets if you really want to. I'd still not want to wrestle a grizzly with one.

.45acp +P
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=395

.45super
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=397

Boolit Master

45ACP ain’t the cartridge for bear!
    Nowhere near the penetration needed to get into the vitals !
    I read about a Grizzly bear that was taken out by the park rangers and when they skinned it they found every imaginable handgun bullet and quite a few rifle bullets in him.
    A friend did research and found that the bullets need to go through about 12” of hair, hide fat and muscle before being able to damage a vital organ.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    There’s load data for Ramshot Rnforcer in .45ACP, but they removed this from the newer manuals.
    https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Fast+.....-a0495829693

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...e-45-acp/99214

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I’d take anything hard enough to not expand but soft enough to not fragment, with a flat nose, and drive it 900-1000 fps and feel reasonably well armed. 200gr wadcutters driven 1000fps will penetrate a long ways in an animal.

Plus contrary to popular belief, most grizzly bears do not weigh half a ton, 350-500lb would be a much more common weight. They also do not have particularly heavy bones, the bones of cattle and large ungulates such as moose and elk are much heavier.

Boolit Master
    If one checks the AmmoLand website, they have a half dozen .45 ACP black and grizzly bear defense shootings...no failures...

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/06/han...#axzz7OqMMNaDn

When carrying a .45 ACP or Colt in the woods it is with the original Keith Lyman 452423 245 grain SWC...velocity is 950-1100 fps depending on the gun..

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

For a bear defense load with a 45 ACP, particularly in a M1911, a hard cast Lee 230 TC or a jacketed 230 gr TC over a +P load of 7.5 gr Unique is what I would carry and have carried in bear country. I also use a 20 lb recoil spring in my M1911 and use 8 round mags. That's 9 rounds in the pistol which are accurate and controllable for very fast, accurate shooting.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry,
    I'm fresh out of Unique but have a Lee 230 TC mould and a bottle of Blue Dot.
    Any suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master

10.7 gr Blue Dot under the Lee 230 TC is a top end standard load. Under a 230 jacketed it sneaks into +P range. I should also mention with such loads I use one of those buffers that fit between the recoil spring and guide.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I’m a .45acp lover but grizzlies? Give me a hot 10mm,,,,,better yet, take a 10mm auto and turn it into a 11.5x25mm acp. Chopped BR brass should do nicely.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    For a bear defense load with a 45 ACP, particularly in a M1911, a hard cast Lee 230 TC or a jacketed 230 gr TC over a +P load of 7.5 gr Unique is what I would carry and have carried in bear country. I also use a 20 lb recoil spring in my M1911 and use 8 round mags. That's 9 rounds in the pistol which are accurate and controllable for very fast, accurate shooting.
    Larry,
    Can you give us the velocity on that load? I assume you’re using it in a Government model rather than Commander.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast