MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car shopping

Moderator Emeritus

car shopping

Day Two: Car shopping

We visit the Willmar dealership, they ain't got the car we were gonna look at. They say it's at the Detail/body shop. SalesDude calls that shop, and says he'll go get it and bring it back in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later he drives up in a car that's a decade older (2005) and looks like a teenager beat the hell out of it.

While SalesDude was gone, we troll the parking lot and find another car with possibilities, it had info sheets in window, but no price. After we told SalesDude that the 2005 car was crap and weren't interested, we tell him we are interested in a car on the other side of the lot. He asks which one. We tell him, he looks confused and says he wasn't aware of a car like that on the lot.

We take SalesDude for a walk. Show him the car. He shakes his head and looks at his phone and says he can't find it in the inventory list. He calls someone. That someone says that car was sold last week, but needs some "stuff" to finalize the deal.

We ask again about the original car we came to look at. SalesDude says he doesn't know where it's at. SalesDude says that car is probably on a run. My buddy acts like he knows what the SalesDude means. I DO NOT know what the hell the SalesDude means.

After thinking about if for 10 minutes, I ask SalesDude, What the hell is a run? He says 3 or 4 employees take a car off the lot, to drive to another Dealership to pickup a group of cars that were destined for this dealership.

As we leave the dealership, I tell my buddy that "run story" is a load of crap. He agrees.

Stay tuned,
    Day three: Car shopping will likely happen in a week or so.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Last I shopped for a car, I asked for the "out the door" price. They gave me a quote I agreed to. I went back to pick up the car, and handed them the check. They said there were docking fees and such that needed added to the price. I took the check back, tore it up, and left. When you ask for an "out the door" price, they are supposed to honor that. Fortunately, a few days later a friend at another dealer called me and told me they had just got in exactly what was looking for, for well below book price. They got my business.
    Some years before that, my mom was looking for a new car. The dealer was trying to screw her over, being an old woman, so she walked out. The guy called a couple days later and asked if she was still interested in the car? She said no, she had bought one from another dealer the same day. They guy was mad because she didn't buy from him.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Day Two: Car shopping

We visit the Willmar dealership, they ain't got the car we were gonna look at. They say it's at the Detail/body shop. SalesDude calls that shop, and says he'll go get it and bring it back in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later he drives up in a car that's a decade older (2005) and looks like a teenager beat the hell out of it.

While SalesDude was gone, we troll the parking lot and find another car with possibilities, it had info sheets in window, but no price. After we told SalesDude that the 2005 car was crap and weren't interested, we tell him we are interested in a car on the other side of the lot. He asks which one. We tell him, he looks confused and says he wasn't aware of a car like that on the lot.

We take SalesDude for a walk. Show him the car. He shakes his head and looks at his phone and says he can't find it in the inventory list. He calls someone. That someone says that car was sold last week, but needs some "stuff" to finalize the deal.

We ask again about the original car we came to look at. SalesDude says he doesn't know where it's at. SalesDude says that car is probably on a run. My buddy acts like he knows what the SalesDude means. I DO NOT know what the hell the SalesDude means.

After thinking about if for 10 minutes, I ask SalesDude, What the hell is a run? He says 3 or 4 employees take a car off the lot, to drive to another Dealership to pickup a group of cars that were destined for this dealership.

As we leave the dealership, I tell my buddy that "run story" is a load of crap. He agrees.

Stay tuned,
    Day three: Car shopping will likely happen in a week or so.
    I work for dealerships and we use cars on the lot to make runs to the auctions to pick up vehicles for inventory.
    I pity you having to go through the car buying process right now.
    The sales guys that I talk to say to plan on 6 months ahead of time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I work for dealerships and we use cars on the lot to make runs to the auctions to pick up vehicles for inventory.
    I pity you having to go through the car buying process right now.
    The sales guys that I talk to say to plan on 6 months ahead of time.
    The Dealerships I worked for did the same thing to get cars from auctions or other dealers, pretty standard practice. However given your experience with that salesman and confusion among the staff about inventory I would think twice about buying from them.

Banned
    Where I live at the dealership I bought a used car they have the out door (or off the lot price) but you have to add state tax and registration fees. Also they say on the stick no haggling, and's, if's, or but's. That's the final price on the sticker.

5+ decades at Ford + Lincoln Mercury dealerships as P+S administrator, 27 years at one of them, only one of them was 100% honest - last new car purchased at dealer was 1967 - many changes in franchised dealers over the years - now even the parts + service personnel are basically commissioned salespeople looking out for their paycheck + not customer needs -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

I despise car shopping. I despise car salesman as 80% of them are dishonest and 100% of their managers are dishonest lying scum who I wouldn't let on my property.

I've worked as a car salesman for a few months as I thought it would be fun as I know cars and enjoy helping people. Nope. If you know cars and like helping people, then you will fail hard as a car salesman as your job is to swindle as much money as possible out of people that walk onto the lot. The more you lie and cheat, the more admiration you will get from your manager.

If you buy used, then buy from a private party and go through your credit union. If you buy new, then get a couple of dealerships working against each other for your sale.

The pandemic was a nightmare for car buying since used prices skyrocketed, new vehicles were non-existent, and interest rates went up.

I tried to buy a new pickup and my low-mileage 4Runner was highly sought after. I went to a couple of different Toyota dealers and ended up walking away and just keeping my vehicle. They would lie about a pickup being in stock, or they would have a 4Runner identical to mine on the lot for $42k and then offer me $32k trade-in for mine. My favorite was a "detail fee" of $1300. Used trucks were more than new ones, and new ones were months back-ordered.

I decided to just sit it out for another year or so.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Vendor Sponsor

JonB I buy and sell my vehicles on Craigslist or Marketplace, have you looked into buying from an individual instead of a dealership?

I once bought a little Chevy Cavalier station wagon with the 3.1L V6, same V6 they put in the Z24, it leaked oil at the ends of the intake manifold which those motors are NOTORIOUS for, the parts cost $35 and my labor was no charge, I had that thing 10 years, annual cost of ownership including tires, wiper blades, brakes, and the engine parts was less than $300/year.

I bought a Chevy Astro van off ebay, flew to Ohio to get it, drove it back to Virginia, it carried me and my tools working construction for many years. I put a new engine from Craigslist in it a few years after I bought it, $1500 well spent, that one cost me about $350/year including the new engine and all the tires and brakes and other repairs.

I try to drive a vehicle for a year for less than what most people pay for one month's car payment. I have been doing that all my life. It works.

Oh yeah. Pay cash. No car payments no loans never have.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Out here we have an outfit called 'Auto-by-Rent'. I bought a 2004 Chevy Cavalier (4-banger with a five-speed, fun, fun!!) that I drove for the next 12 YEARS!! I am a pretty good mechanic. Weekly payments (yes, a pain) but paid it off in 2 years. Because the last payment was considered the 'sold for' price, I only paid sales taxes on that final payment. I miss that car.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Never understood what sales people think they are doing with dishonesty in the deal, never ends well. Same thing as a Gun Show, always tell the buyer what you know about the deal, right up front. If you do not know tell them. Never sell a known problem, it will absolutely, come back on you.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I despise car shopping. I despise car salesman

>>>SNIP<<<

The pandemic was a nightmare for car buying since used prices skyrocketed, new vehicles were non-existent, and interest rates went up.
    Car shopping for new cars is sure a lot different than used cars...that's all I got to say.

Thanks everyone else for the hints, tips, tricks so far.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    5+ decades at Ford + Lincoln Mercury dealerships as P+S administrator, 27 years at one of them, only one of them was 100% honest - last new car purchased at dealer was 1967 - many changes in franchised dealers over the years - now even the parts + service personnel are basically commissioned salespeople looking out for their paycheck + not customer needs -
    One thing I noticed is big dealerships in Large Cities (and surrounding Suburbs) are sure lots different than dealerships in small Cities with Population less than 50K...or maybe it's just that I'm a redneck small town boy?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

Car Shopping....Even in the best of times...Heaven help you.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

I've purchased three new vehicles in my life. Once in 1986, 1992 and 2023. In 86 and 92 it was possible to research what the actual price the dealer paid. In both cases I paid $200 over actual dealer price. That was well below invoice price and invoice price is way lower than MSRP. The dealership also gets a kickback for the manufacturer and the is a highly guarded secret.

The 92 was a new Chevy 1500 that I put 343K miles on. Its replacement was a 2002 Chevy 4x4 with 89K on it. I have not sold it yet but it has 289K one it is at the end of its life. I started look for a replacement used vehicle shortly after the pandemic started. Ten- to fifteen-year-old trucks with 200K on them were selling for $35K in this area. That was not going to happen.

I gave up and went the new route. I wanted the new LZ0 3.0 baby Duramax engine and if I was spending that much I wanted it exactly as I wanted it so I ordered it to 100% of my specs. They became available to order in May of 22 but I didn't get an allocation until Sept. I was delivered about 3 weeks ago. When I started looking last May most dealers were 2K to 5K above MSRP. I only dealt with two that would sell at MSRP. In the time since I placed the order most dealers in this area are selling at or under MSRP. In Nov chevy had a price increase. That did make me happy but I didn't have many options other than to cancel the order. When it was delivered I was able to get the price reduced 3K down to the claimed invoice. On Sat. I received a check for $1,168 from the Chev dealer price protection program. Chevy honors the price at the time of the order and this dealer (Mauer Chev) was honest enough to cut me a check. I was not aware of that program.

New prices are becoming negotiable again. I haven't looked at used price since I made up my mind to go new about a year ago so I don't know if used prices are becoming more realistic.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-21-2023 at 06:55 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Last year, was looking for a Highlander for the wife. Went to big city dealership and they had just what she wanted, but the sales manager came over with a smirk and said since we were out of town, he probably wouldn't make any money off service, so the price was 2K over retail.
    We ended up leaving and in a smaller town, found an almost identical car, for 1K under retail. Saved 3K by driving 200 miles. And I got to see my Niece, since she lived along the way. win-win

Moderator Emeritus

I will check with internet pricing and such and will use Costco's auto buying program (need to be a memberbut the other warehouse stores probablyoffer the same thing). No hassle, negotiations, etc.. That will, give you a decent idea on what to expect for the car you want.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I hate shopping for vehicles new or used. My father used to go talk and haggle just for something to do and not planning to buy. Once he haggled with a guy at a boat show, that he ended up buying a boat he hadn’t planned on, just because the deal was so good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I will check with internet pricing and such and will use Costco's auto buying program (need to be a memberbut the other warehouse stores probablyoffer the same thing). No hassle, negotiations, etc.. That will, give you a decent idea on what to expect for the car you want.
    Ron
    I remember when I worked for USAA insurance, they offered a car-buying service for members that was supposedly pretty slick. Never tried it.

And a good friend of mine bought a new Honda Pilot EX a couple of years ago through Costco for $37k. Dealers were offering him $40k cash for it.

The woman I'm with now is a hard-core Dave Ramsey fan and is pressuring me to pay off all my debt and pay cash for major purchases. I think if I came home with a new pickup and another $20k in debt, she would walk.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I don't mind shopping for a car, mostly because I usually don't go in with a car in mind. Just a "let's see what's on the lot" kind of attitude.

What I hate is sitting in the "finance manager's" office forever and ever while he tries to sell you a hundred different warranties, under coatings, service plans and other crap you don't need. Then, I have to read the agreement before I sign and make sure he didn't add any items he never told me about. When I do find such things, I nearly always stand up and walk out. The sales guy and/or the sales manager usually follow me off the lot asking about what went wrong. I just say, "Your finance guy can tell you all about it."

Best car-buying I ever did was at CarMax when I bought the Vette. Easy in, easy out, no haggling, nothing. Just a decent car and when one thing did go wrong, they fixed it, no questions asked.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    One thing I noticed is big dealerships in Large Cities (and surrounding Suburbs) are sure lots different than dealerships in small Cities with Population less than 50K...or maybe it's just that I'm a redneck small town boy?
    you are correct - the only honest dealer i worked at for 27 years ago was in small hometown - sadly back when i was retiring Ford + several other manufacturers was forcing all the hometown ones to move to large high way facilities or close - some that were family owned for 30+ years are now long gone -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast