WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt magnum 357 front sight

Colt magnum 357 front sight

i acquired the above pistol a while ago and it's missing the front sight. I found a longer barrel with the sight attached in case I wanted to try to swap them out or go with the pistol in the future.

I'm curious how the sight was attached in the first place, any insight on this is appreciated.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if a printed sight might be made, and if so, how would you attach it? I can give measurements if anyone wants to take the challenge.

I like old weapons and this one is a '60-70 era piece. The former PD officer who owned it did on trigger job on it and I'm curious to shoot it.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 03-21-2023 at 11:51 PM.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Is anybody able to open the picture? I seem to be having issues opening it on my computer in the house. I'll try to open it with my computer in my shed later.

Thanks,

Slim

Boolit Buddy
    picture open for me.
    thats all the help I am

I have a 3d printer. I might be up to the challenge. Send me the dimensions.
    IT might take me a week or so to print it once I get the dimensions.
    Last edited by kentfielddude; 03-21-2023 at 03:54 PM.

What's the model of the revolver? Can you send a picture of the top of barrel where sight is installed?

Oh just noticed the other barrel you have. It blended into black foreground.
    Last edited by kentfielddude; 03-21-2023 at 03:32 PM.

If the model is just colt 357 revolver thoose are pretty rare. Only 15,000 or so made. What is the barrel length of the nickel finish barrel?
    https://coltfever.com/the-357-model/

I wouldn't change the barrel yourself.

THe following link has some really good info about the sights:
    https://coltfever.com/gunsmithing/

"CAN I CHANGE MY OWN REVOLVER BARREL?
    Short answer ..... NO.
    Much longer answer explaining WHY not:
    Barrel work is a MAJOR pistolsmithing job and requires a considerable amount of very expensive equipment.
    It involves a lot of steps that most people, including a surprising number of gunsmiths, don’t even know is required.
    Failure to do the job correctly insures an inaccurate revolver at best, and a destroyed frame at worst."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqVfdB_lMw4
    Last edited by kentfielddude; 03-21-2023 at 04:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Wonder if it could be printed right on the barrel no release and bond strong enough.

Boolit Bub
    I’m not much help, but from what I see, the sight is definitely not pinned or screwed on in any way. The blade and base appear to be a single piece, but how it is mounted I have no clue. Welded? Silver solder? I don’t know.
    The Colt 3 5 7 is a great shooter. If you install the other barrel, have it done professionally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6349EE99-10CB-4F7E-9144-73189EAC4070.jpg   389D83FF-1042-497E-A485-130A168F69AC.jpg  

Kentfielddude,

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind, however, if I can't fix the sight onto the barrel, it would do no good. Perhaps crazy glue would help, perhaps not. I'll wait for others to chime in. The model is 3 5 7 Magnum, I'm thinking its the first model of its caliber by Colt.

I'll put up a pic of the top of the barrel once I get out to the shed where it resides.

Slim

Boolit Grand Master

From the looks if the fine radius between the barrel and sight base it appears to be a solder joint maybe a epoxy.

More pics per request, hope they help. Sorry for the sorry pics, the nickel finish is to blame.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 03-22-2023 at 12:21 AM.

Boolit Master

Post 1 picture link brought up a 404 page. Post #11 pictures came up and appear to be a soldered joint that failed. Most likely not a silver soldered joint, but a tin/lead joint. I would use BROWNELLS HI-TEMP HI-FORCE 44™ SOLDER for a replacement. A 3D printed sight could be glued on as a temporary measure but a close copy of the original would hold the gun's value a little better.

The low temp solder would help avoid damage to the finish around the sight.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Thanks for the tips and info. I changed post #1 and the pic should now be showing.

Slim

The sight was silver soldered from the factory. Most likely a poor quality joint that slipped through and a small portion of the joint was actually bonded to the sight allowing it to stay in place for a while before it failed.

I’ve repaired many similar jobs in the past. Were it a blued gun simply soldering the original if it was available or a replacement front ramp in place and rebluing just the barrel would be a likely fix. The nickel finish complicates matters since soldering would likely ruin the plating and it isn’t easily renickled.

My preferred method for this situation would be to make a ramp from keystock, you have the blued one for a pattern to duplicate. Drill and counterbore a screw hole in the new ramp and attach it to the barrel with one 6x48 screw with a squirt of red Loctite underneath the ramp. Since nothing is going to match if you aren’t getting it plated I would also just blue the replacement sight, the factory nickel ones were bad for glare anyway.

I am away from my colt gunsmithing books right now but yes, soldered in place. That same sight was used on the original troopers in 22, 38 and 357. You may be able to find a used or damaged nickel barrel for a sight donor. The nickeled 357 model was only made the last couple years of this model and is quite rare.

So, could I knock off the sight on the spare 6" barrel, have it nickel plated, have it silver soldered, all without damaging any plating on the existing barrel and newly plated front sight? Any opinions are appreciated.

In the meantime, I would light to have a printed front sight made and glued on in order to shoot it with some degree of accuracy. This will tell me if I want to invest in restoring it to its glory (if its possible) or let the next person do as they please with it.

Slim

Boolit Master
    I have a Colt Trooper MKIII in 357 magnum. On mine the front sight blade is held in place with a small pin. Pin goes through the base and through a small hole in the blade. Mine was slightly dinged so took it off and cleaned it up with some silicon carbide paper and cold blued it. Mine is blued instead of nickel. Frank

Kudos to Kentfielddude for going above and beyond in making several (11 total) sights for my Colt. They look nice and with minimum fine filing I'm sure I'll get one or more to fit snugly. He sent me different radii of the bottom of sight to try to match the barrel. Thanks you very much for your troubles, it's appreciated.

The quest is on to find an adhesive that will work.

Slim

Boolit Man

Glue for front sight

Use Goop glue, holds very well and cleans off with gas.

Boolit Grand Master
    Isn't there a black loctite that is far beyond even red loctite in strength

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast