Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: just visiting to ask a few questions about an old reloading tool

Boolit Buddy

just visiting to ask a few questions about an old reloading tool

I'm usually in the modern casting section and came upon a youtube video where the shooter used an all-in-one bullet mold, lube-sizer, seat and crimp tool for his blackpowder cartridge rifle. The tool looked like a pair of pliers with a tube that projected from it to seat and crimp the bullet. I assume there is another part which is a cast iron spoon to remelt the spent lead bullet. What is this tool called, is it caliber specific to old round? Are they hard to find and expensive? Thanks

Boolit Master

I have never heard of one that included a spoon for casting. I am not sure what you saw, but several companies made tools for this. Most probably you saw an Ideal 310 type tool. Ideal made about 10 variations and then Lyman bought them. Modern-Bond made a similar tool. Remington, Winchester, Marlin all made tool of this type. Take a look at the 310 swap board here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I'm usually in the modern casting section and came upon a youtube video where the shooter used an all-in-one bullet mold, lube-sizer, seat and crimp tool for his blackpowder cartridge rifle. The tool looked like a pair of pliers with a tube that projected from it to seat and crimp the bullet. I assume there is another part which is a cast iron spoon to remelt the spent lead bullet. What is this tool called, is it caliber specific to old round? Are they hard to find and expensive? Thanks
    Posting the you tube video would be very helpful.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-21-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    There were a couple of main plier-type reloading tools - Ideal and Winchester. The Winchesters were cartridge specific. Some had a bullet mold incorporated into the design and others not so. The tool had a decapping pin/flare tool that dropped into the tube as you refer to it and that was the first step, to decap the brass and slightly flare the case mouth. There was a repriming step then the case was filled with black powder. A lead bullet was then started into the case mouth and the cartridge placed back into the tube and the bullet squeezed into proper place with the plier action. That also crimped the bullet in place. Typically, the earlier ones will run $150 to $200. and most are incomplete as in the decapping pin insert is missing.

Boolit Grand Master
    It sounds an awful lot like you’re seeing a Lyman 310 or the Winchester 1880(?) “tong tool. Pictures or a link are needed to be sure.
    And yes, this is the proper place to ask!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I've got a couple of them. Bought them just as curiosities. I believe they were a forerunner of the more common Ideal tools, which themselves are antiques. The specimens I've encountered were usually for handgun calibers, although some of them could have been used in handgun caliber carbines such as the .44-40 also. They came from the black powder eras and the one tool was designed to do everything. Cast the bullet, load the cartridge. Maybe I can dig one out and post a photo, but not today. They used to turn up with some regularity on e-bay.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3208990_2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	311929

The lower three are like the ones that I have. Can't lay my hands on them at the moment though.

Boolit Buddy
    This is the video I was watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik06rn2R0HY

Boolit Buddy
    This video gives a more complete use of the Winchester style tool, to include the decapping insert. He mentions using a separate tool to bell the case mouth but I believe that the originals had a belling capability machined into the decapping assembly. At least that's what I did when I made mine.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC4

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    This is the video I was watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik06rn2R0HY
    I don't ever remember seeing or hearing of one having a built-in mold.

It might be a Eruopean tool since they are hunting Roe Deer?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    That’s an Ideal No. 4 tool. It de- and reprimed the empty case, cast and sized the boolit and seated and crimped it in the cartridge case.

The tool came with a belling/depriming insert and a little scoop that held 40 grains of black powder. These loose accessories were frequently lost in antiquity and need to be cobbled together or replaced with currently available offerings (like Lee scoops).

I like Cap&Ball. His videos are very well done and always informative.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    That’s an Ideal No. 4 tool. It de- and reprimed the empty case, cast and sized the boolit and seated and crimped it in the cartridge case.

The tool came with a belling/depriming insert and a little scoop that held 40 grains of black powder. These loose accessories were frequently lost in antiquity and need to be cobbled together or replaced with currently available offerings (like Lee scoops).

I like Cap&Ball. His videos are very well done and always informative.
    Thanks. Learned something today https://www.reloadingtool.com/ideal-no-4-reloading-tool

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Here you go...! Took me a couple of days to get out to the shop. These are both Ideal tools, both in .32-20. No, I have never cast with these. I have a couple of larger ones that I did try casting with, but as you can see they are all metal construction, and after perhaps 10 bullets dropped they were getting unpleasant to handle. If I had to guess, I'd figure that's why Ideal dropped the mold and just went with the rest of the tool until the Lyman 310 system came along.

DG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007305.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	311997