Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't decide which rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by openbook View Post
    Interestingly the M1A is classified as a battle rifle, where the AR-15 and AR-10 are "intermediate" small arms. Someone with more knowledge of the taxonomy might be able to describe the extent to which the distinction matters.
    Well I'm not one to quote myself, but, this evening coincidentally I stumbled upon the following in the latest issue of "American Rifleman."

The title is "A Vietnam Vet's Perspective on the NGSW Program."

The article "Return of The Rifleman: The Next Generation Squad Weapons Program" (February 2023, p. 44) absolutely stunned me. In June 1965, I landed in Vietnam as an 18-year-old Marine ammo humper with three rocket rounds on a pack board and an M14 rifle (Golf Co. 2/4 1965-66). I turned it in when I rotated out in November 1966. A month later, my previous infantry battalion spent a month on Okinawa refitting. Their M14s were replaced by M16s. I have been bitter to this day about the many casualties sustained while attempting to fight with that weapon. A puny rifle with a pipsqueak cartridge, the wrong powder, an un-plated chamber, direct-impingement, and too many precision fits to make a lousy dirt gun. After more than a half century of Mickey Mouse tweaks—bolt assist, anyone?—and vain attempts to make an inadequate system work, it appears to be finally ending. A genuine, full-power battle rifle and squad automatic weapon replacement are only about 50 years overdue. Robert McNamara and the generals who covered their rears after adopting the Mouse Gun are finally all gone, and fresh, new thinking has arrived. My infantry brethren can now again head out with adequate firepower.

Signed "-Jeffrey S. Howard"

(emphases added by openbook)

The "pipsqueak cartridge" won't be an issue with the AR-10, but the rest of Howard's criticisms seem to go straight to the question.
    Last edited by openbook; 03-23-2023 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Edited to add comment.

Boolit Master
    I've owned both. Sold my M1A after my first AR-10 build. My Hiper Fire trigger lets me swap springs and go to a 2.5 to a 3.5 lb trigger pull. Try that on an M1A. I have four top end options in about a minute swap. I go from 243 to 260 Remington to 308 Winchester to a 358 Winchester. That last is a 250gr RN PC NOE cast bullet to the 2200fps range.
    Barrel lengths? Pretty much anything from 16" to 26" in light, medium, or heavy weights.

I just bought a matched upper and lower Olympic Arms set. It has a set trigger. Unset 4 pounds. Set, about that many ounces.

The AR 10 & 15 are the equivalent of Leggos for big boys.

ISS

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by giz189 View Post
    I have a Springfield Armory M1A. Thinking about trading it for an AR 10. M1A is not all matching, but I got the history on it, date of manufacture and so forth. Which one do ya'll like the best??
    In terms of "liking the best", my vote is for the M1A!
    Just for thought, though, in many states the AR-10 is classified as an assault rifle; lots of "legal" worries possibilities. To the best of my feeble knowledge -- keeping your M1A may have a lot less concerns vis the law. Bion, in New York state, "any AR not registered or made to be compliant will be a Class misdemeanor. There are a couple options to consider once purchasing an AR-10 or other platforms. Keep in mind that New York requires a permanently fixed magazine unless the weapon is featureless, and magazines cannot hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition."

M14 platform is great in every respect except for the optics mounting. Go www.M14.ca's CASM route or trade for AR10 if you are into optics.
    I tried CASM and found it superb in every respect. Initially I went with the steel model but later realized that aluminum model works just as fine. Still, AR10 allows for BUIS whereas M14 with CASM means that irons will have to go. Also, to accessorize the M14 one needs an alternative chassis such as M14.ca's Black Feather. It adds up, whereas AR10 comes with rails OOB.
    So, it is a matter of personal preference, as with everything in our lives.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Master

I too am intrigued by the new Ruger SFAR, because it drops the weight down to something reasonable.

All of the cold war battle rifles suffer from the things that made them fade away - recoil and weight - and none of them were originally intended to mount optics.

A new AR-10 will at least solve the optics problem and be less time consuming to clean. Comes down to how much of a thing you have for late 1950's iron.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Neither... Ruger SFAR, .308, 20", 7.3lbs.
    https://ruger.com/products/sfar/specSheets/5611.html

Boolit Master
    If I were to get another AR10 it would be a Gen 2 as they use many more ar15 parts and are much lighter. My current AR10 is a heavy barrel 260 Remington and it shoots very well with my hand loads. That said you need an AR10 you just don't need to give up the M1A1 to get it. You will not go to hell for having both.

Boolit Master

Why don't you buy an ar10 and try it out. Then sell which one you like less afterwards.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    If I were to get another AR10 it would be a Gen 2 as they use many more ar15 parts and are much lighter.
    Gen 2 is not the same between the various AR10 manufactures. What AR15 parts does the Gen 2 take that your AR10 won't?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Why don't you buy an ar10 and try it out. Then sell which one you like less afterwards.
    this is exactly what i was going to say. except, maybe keep both afterward...

Boolit Master
    Typed wrong info
    Last edited by giz189; 04-08-2023 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Wrong info
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Even considering you're talking an AR10 and not 15 platform.... They're a dime a dozen. Save up and get one but no way I'd get rid of an M1A unless you were really unhappy with it for some reason.

Boolit Master
    Linstrum, you are correct. I was thinking about my M1 Garand when I said not all matching numbers. My bad.
    Last edited by giz189; 04-08-2023 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Wrong place

Boolit Master
    Linstrum. You are right about matching numbers. I was thinking about Garand.

Boolit Master
    Well, I thought that I should not trade the M1A. Now I am convinced. Thanks for all advice.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Like others have said I prefer the M1A . The AR-10 is also a great rifle , on the heavy side . There is just more nostalgia with the M1A IMHO . Hard decision. My preference is the M1A, well maybe.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Grand Master

I would grab the M1-A .
    Never cared for AR action .

Some good advice my Dad gave me I would like to pass along .
    "Never sell a rifle you like ... keep it and save your money to buy that other one ... you may not like it ."
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I had an M1A NM for a while and was not impressed with it. I feel SA has cheapened them up. My bolt was all peened on the back and I only put about 1,000 rounds thought it. Accuracy was nothing to write home about. I ended up selling it. My Armalite AR10A2 shoots circles around it. I'm a total traditionalist with my guns, love milsurps, live for them. But I think the M1A is not worth it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12