Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Swedish rolling block 8x58RD

Boolit Bub

Swedish rolling block 8x58RD

Guys let me know the weakest point of this rifle?
    In case you overload the cartridge what first goes to hell at this rifle?

Thanks Mira

Boolit Master

"The shooter was killed when the breechblock split in two and half lodged in his skull behind his right eye."

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/RBfailure.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudence

Boolit Bub
    So hi quality old scrap material , the cartidge in combination 12,7g bullet with lovex D73.6 powder (from syntesia/explosia) is able to do ca.4200joule in 850mm length barrel.

So soft point of this rifle is a cartridge chamber and small diameter with a barrel thread in diam 25mm, (modern rifles have 27mm and more, but from hi modern quality materials), for example - breechblock is made from mud or other material from 1867 year(?)

Also I would like to know what the hammers are OK (under powder gas pressure)?

This rifle can be very nice rifle in an old style (make new from a new modern materials).

Also would be interested in comparison with a danish krag jorsergen rifle, if more massive construction, dimensions of main parts (barrel, breechblock, bolt) whats better this rolling block or danish krag jorsengen?
    Last edited by mira; 03-23-2023 at 03:32 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I also dont understand what the hell is the pin (from left side) goes direct to breechblock thread, the pin is without any notch for screw driver....
    Its my first rolling block so dont be wonder me please.
    Last edited by mira; 03-23-2023 at 03:33 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mira View Post
    I also dont understand what the hell is the pin (from left side) goes direct to breechblock thread, the pin is without any notch for screw driver....
    Its my first rolling block so dont be wonder me please.
    That is the plugged hole from the old sliding extractor when it was the m/1867 12,17x44R, plugged when it was modified to m/1867-89 8x58RD whith a new extractor. Then it also got a new breechblock, hammer, pins, and re-casehardening of the action.
    Th

Boolit Bub
    yes, but still poorly placed screw(rifle wiper screw), it weakens the wall from the bottom then it looks like this http://dutchman.rebooty.com/RBfailure.html
    at the picture is althought model 1902 but the model 1889 is even more sensitive thanks to this screw and also thanks to material used (from 1870).