WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Star Progressive Press

Star Progressive Press

I watched a video of a SPP being cleaned up for use (https://exhaustnotes.us/blog/index.p...der-dispenser/) which was quite interesting. Does anyone use one of these presses now and what is their experience with it. Are powder dispenser measures & dies available for different loads and cartridges?

Boolit Master
    Once The STAR is set Up correctly and your desired Load with Your Powder, Primers and Bullet they are Flawless in Production. The only Problem are the inexperience users
    THE IS ONLY ONE STAR
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

you can get parts and pieces from star, think he even has complete presses. mine is set up for 38special and is fun to use. only thing i would like to find is a moon unit for auto advance.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    I loved mine. If you want to reload a variety of calibers, there are better choices.

Mine was in .38 Spl. Likely the most common caliber...then .45 ACP.
    Don Verna

I have 3 ide like to sell !!!!!!!
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master
    They are like a swiss watch..

Boolit Grand Master
    If it is a Star Progressive, it is really only designed for 38 Spl, while the Star Universal came be fairly readily converted to different calibers. In the salad days of Bullseye shooting, the well equipped loader had a Progressive for 38 Wadcutters and a Universal for 45 ACP.
    And I agree wholeheartedly with the “Swiss watch” description!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I've got 5 Stars set up on the bench and one in a box in pieces. They require more attention than modern presses. I have 38 special progressive that was probably made 1936 or 37 and is still going strong. The Star comes from an era of quality American made equipment not seen today which attracts some. I also have Dillons and RCBS but there is a great difference.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Buddy
    I am a big fan of them. Have a couple as does my Brother. Plus, several spare heads to make is less of a hassle when changing calibers out.

Very well made and will keep going for a looooooong time.

Got a completely rebuilt and refurbished Star from Bruce Williams in NJ Excellent............

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Star Universal that stays set up for 38 Special wadcutters. I also have an extra head with the complete 45 ACP changeover. I love my Star and it is a joy to use once you get accustomed to it. I also have 3 Dillon 550b machines and must admit that the learning curve was easier with them than the Star, but it has a permanent home on my bench and isn't going anywhere. I plan to be shooting 38 wadcutters until I can't shoot anything anymore.

Boolit Man
    I have three Hollywoods, two Lyman All Americans for revolver loads and two Stars. This has been my press line up for 40-50 years and not one has been a problem. Years ago I got the bug for a Dillon but after two years parted with them as they really didn’t accomplish anything that I didn’t already have but a bit of speed. My Stars are set up for two shooting disciplines and once set up the settings have never moved and like all Stars they just don’t wear - anywhere. One is set up for Bullseye 38 centerfire competition and I’ve only changed the powder metering bar from Bullseye powder to AA #2. The other is a dedicated 45acp that doubles for Bullseye mid-Range comp and back when I was trying to win at IPSC and again nothing changed but powder bars. Once set up they don’t move and once you learn how to use them they turn out perfect loads for ever. Learning to set up these presses actually helps reloaders to learn seating depth and crimping for maximum accuracy. This is the reason Police Armorers and Military Marksmanship squads depended on Stars for competition loads. Like I and others have said you need to take the time, buy dial calipers and adjust until you find the magic settings. They just aren’t Dillon like machines that do much of the thinking for you.

Rick

Boolit Master

I have three Star and two Dillon 1050s
    They both work extremely well. Different but well
    If you can get on reasonably get it
    Mike

p.s. plus 40 other presses
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I picked one up as part of an estate a few years ago. Beautiful machines, but I saw no real practical use for it in my reloading room, so I sold it to someone who could appreciate it. I even have the original sales receipt and price list that came with it.

I did keep the Lubrisizer and the .452 die.