WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: RIP John Linebaugh

RIP John Linebaugh

Yesterday there was a lot of medical activity across the creek at John Linebaugh's house. I just found out that John Linebaugh died. It was quick and a suspected heart attack.
    He was a great friend, neighbor, and full of practical wisdom. I will surely miss him.

Boolit Master
    Blast it all! Only met John once and that was at the Knob Creek machinegun shoot in Kentucky and we talked together like old friends. My friends Kent Lomont and Lee Jurras were also there. Spoke to him several times by phone and he always made time to visit. Blue sky's John.

Boolit Master
    RIP John.

He was a truly knowledgeable man when it came to building guns.

Boolit Master

Sad to see another firearms legend gone. RIP.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Only talked to him once on the phone, was gonna send him a revolver to modify, he answered the phone, talked to me like we were neighbors. I never sent him the gun (long story) but he was "famous" then and he never acted like it! Rest in Peace John.

Boolit Grand Master
    Was at his house for an afternoon. Talked about all manner of gun stuff. He was animated about a cast bullet for one of his revolvers. My buddy & I stepped across to the shop, spent a couple hours in there before we shot one of his revolvers at a big rock up the hill behind the shop. I am very sorry to see this news report. What a nice guy. Even went to the Cody museum to see his matched pair of revolvers they have on display. He gently laughed at the bison he shot through the horns, which was mounted in his room. I'll say a prayer..........

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Another great one who will be dearly missed . Rest in peace John
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Never met him, but have heard much about him. It seems as though the great masters of workmanship and ideas are disappearing, and few are coming out from the younger generations to replacethem....his passing is a great loss for our craft!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Banned

he was a hell of a nice guy and i couldnt dream up a better neighbor. we shared a best friend and i know tears were falling at his house yesterday. prayers said for dustin cory and tye
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-21-2023 at 08:01 AM.

Boolit Master

Well thats aweful. Never met him but read so much.

RIP John Linebaugh.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

Rest in peace sir.

Prayers to his family. Sounds like he was a good man.

RIP Mr. Linebaugh. You will always be remembered. Many have used your advice. "The .45 Colt--Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Potential" I adopted the .45 Colt as "my" six gun cartridge. Also, his explanation of how a heavy bullet at a moderate velocity acts as a "long range punch press" cured me of my early fascination with high velocity in calibers .44 and up.

This is very disappointing to read.

I had 3 guns done by John, one was a "never do" TC Encore barrel that I had Fred Smith at Bullberry put the lug on (Pacnor blank) and then off to John for a 475 LL chambering. I eventually sold that, kept the revolvers.

Incredibly decent man on the phone. Spoke to him probably 10-12 times in total.
    If my bonuses at work would have stayed high, I am sure I would have had more of his work. Low bonuses and getting married ended my ability to have work done by him, Not a loss of admiration for his work or lack of interest in having a new "packable" something.
    Only "friction" I ever had was talking to his wife the very first time I called and mispronouncing his name. On me, hasty apology seemed to do the trick.

I did see recently that Dustin seems to have taken over his website, perhaps the community will be able to enjoy his craftsmanship as well.

Hope the family can weather the loss.
    FWIW, I am one former customer that would certainly say: pass on my condolences.

Sorry to hear of John's passing. The famous shooters and builders are getting older too. I shot with many and met them at big matches or the Shot Show, etc., it is still a shock for me to hear of them passing. It is like an era going by.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers