Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Cassette Style AR Triggers

Boolit Grand Master

Cassette Style AR Triggers

I see lots of vendors offering these drop-in trigger assemblies for AR receivers with much ballyhoo. Other than the admitted “cool factor” and elimination of the need to assemble the fire control components in situ, do those of you who have installed and extensively used them have any comments pro or con? Are the expensive ones greatly superior to the less costly ones?
    All reports of personal experiences (not brother’s sister-in-law’s first cousin’s best friend’s experience) greatly appreciated!
    Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy

I have about half a dozen of the lower end ones, PSA, Rise Armament and the like and they are markedly better than a stock trigger. Honestly just as good and better triggers can be gained with a bit of work with a standard trigger assembly but they are much simpler and faster to swap out. I really like the flat face ones. Feels around 3.5-4lb break.

Boolit Master
    I put a Timney drop in trigger assy in my AR. No problems, and a good trigger over the factory one.

Banned
    I've used the drop in cassette trigers in AR15's and they work well, plus I like them. Be aware though that the AR15 and AR10 firing system, that is trigger, hammer, hammer spring, and firing pin were vasting different in the AR10. The AR15 system that is put into the AR10's today works and does fire the primers, but they are a lighter strike then when used in an AR15. I feel the drop in triggers are of even a lighter strike and that's not good in an AR10. I haven't tried a cassette trigger in an AR10, but the AR15 system I'm currently using is giving very light strikes on military primers. With the standard trigger system I generally run a heavier hammer spring in the AR10.

Boolit Buddy

I run a Rise Armament in my AR10 .308 and have zero issues and I run almost exclusively LC 7.62 factory brass. Got several hundred rounds through it. I don’t doubt that the strikes would be lighter though. If that was a concern or issue, a full trigger kit with springs would be more suited for the task.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopaloop86 View Post
    I run a Rise Armament in my AR10 .308 and have zero issues and I run almost exclusively LC 7.62 factory brass. Got several hundred rounds through it. I don’t doubt that the strikes would be lighter though. If that was a concern or issue, a full trigger kit with springs would be more suited for the task.
    I wish I could put a heavier spring in a cassette trigger. My AR10 fired all those military primers with the AR15 trigger system, but the dimple in the fired primers were might small!

I have an AimSurplus non adjustable trigger on the HD AR15 rifle. Only about $75 and way better pull than the milspec setup.
    My deer/hog AR15 has a Velocity adjustable that I have set at 3#. About $125 or so.
    My Varmint/target AR15 has a CMC adjustable that is set at 2#. About $150 or so.
    So yes, I like the cartridge type triggers a lot. They improve the ability to make a good shot over the stock trigger by quite a bit.
    I’m not a good enough shot to spend more on a trigger, but there are $300 triggers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have an AimSurplus non adjustable trigger on the HD AR15 rifle. Only about $75 and way better pull than the milspec setup.
    My deer/hog AR15 has a Velocity adjustable that I have set at 3#. About $125 or so.
    My Varmint/target AR15 has a CMC adjustable that is set at 2#. About $150 or so.
    So yes, I like the cartridge type triggers a lot. They improve the ability to make a good shot over the stock trigger by quite a bit.
    I’m not a good enough shot to spend more on a trigger, but there are $300 triggers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will tell you another good trigger that use to be cheap, but not too pricey today, is RRA'a National Match. It's more a conventional AR15 trigger/hammer setup and they are very decent.

What's nice about the cassettle triggers is that they are easier to install.

Boolit Buddy
    As for the AR10 light(er) primer strikes. There is a spring on the firing pin to reduce the chance of slam fires. The AR15 doesn't have this spring. That in itself would create lighter primer strikes.

45_Colt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    As for the AR10 light(er) primer strikes. There is a spring on the firing pin to reduce the chance of slam fires. The AR15 doesn't have this spring. That in itself would create lighter primer strikes.

45_Colt
    That's true of the AR10's. The Armalite AR10, which by the way owns the trade mark, isn't 100% like the original, but pretty close and does have differences then the clones. The clones do have a lighter firing pin strike. I edited as I meant to the clones don't have the firing pin spring and that removing the spring from the AR10's is not advisable. I believe the AR10 firing pin spring was put there to prevent slam fires.
    Last edited by TD1886; 03-20-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Super Moderator

I have two of the Timney Targa two-stage models. They are 2lb first stage, and 2lb 2nd stage. I've been using them for long range target shooting and prairie dog hunting. I personally prefer a 2 stage trigger on my AR's, but they make single stage triggers as well. I have been very pleased with mine, no problems at all.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1146131024?pid=131024

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I have two of the Timney Targa two-stage models. They are 2lb first stage, and 2lb 2nd stage. I've been using them for long range target shooting and prairie dog hunting. I personally prefer a 2 stage trigger on my AR's, but they make single stage triggers as well. I have been very pleased with mine, no problems at all.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1146131024?pid=131024
    I have to agree with you. I had some friends talk me into the two stage and here's what they said: If you're aiming at something and just pulled the first stage and change your mind, you can just release the trigger. On very light single stage triggers you don't have that opportunity.

Boolit Grand Master

I have three of the Rise triggers in various AR's and they have been instrumental in increasing the accuracy of my rifles. You CANNOT get as clean and crisp with stock components!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!