Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Much for using 2 molds.

Boolit Grand Master

I usually cast with two molds as I cast fast and need the time to insure that the bullets freeze fully.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Been there. Done that.

Boolit Master

I cast with many moulds at a time.
    I set up a large cookie sheet with the wide side toward me. I cover it with two or three dish towels oriented the same direction.
    Then I take more dish towels, fold them in half lengthwise and roll up one end until they are just a little longer than the pan width. I put the roll pointed down and on the far side from me. I spread the partially rolled dish towels across the pan.
    The first towels in the pan are to cushion the fall of Boolits from the mould as they are still hot enough to be damaged.
    I do the rolled towel so I can drop Boolits in an empty, soft area. I use the end of the towel toward me to "roll the Boolits back to the rear of the towel." When I have too many to drop them in a clean area, I use that whole towel to pick them up and pour them in a box.
    I keep my unused moulds on a hot plate to warm up and stay warm. No lead in moulds on the hot plate. Moulds should be same metal, same dimensions, and similar Boolits weights.
    When mould one is cold I cast with just it. When Mould one warms up I set it on its towel and start with mould two. I cast One, Two, Two until two is warm also. then I add mould three and cast One, Three, Two, Three until three is warm. Add moulds until sprues harden and Boolits do not frost.
    The towel without a mould is the one to drop on.

Boolit Master
    Once a long time ago I tried the 2-mold system and soon realized this was to be my only time doing this. Sometimes I wondered, other times I didn't know, and in between I got confused. Back now to one at a time and enjoy the session.

Boolit Grand Master

" A man has to know his limitations" ... once you figure out that you don't like inspecting each boolit ... and tend to not pay attention to which pan holds what design ... Then casting with one mould should take care of the problem ...
    But whatever you do , don't stop casting ... You got to Keep On Keeping On .
    Don't let this Age Thing get you down !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    " A man has to know his limitations" ... once you figure out that you don't like inspecting each boolit ... and tend to not pay attention to which pan holds what design ... Then casting with one mould should take care of the problem ...
    But whatever you do , don't stop casting ... You got to Keep On Keeping On .
    Don't let this Age Thing get you down !
    Gary
    Never Gary, Never. Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. The H & G is a beast and I usually cast 2 pots worth and then I'm done for the day.
    But that pile of bullets is a great one.

Boolit Master
    Tried it with two Lyman 452460 SWC molds, no sorting but found that there was a 5 grain difference between the molds. Said to hell with this and bought a Lee 6 cavity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12