Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Much for using 2 molds.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split

So Much for using 2 molds.

I cast 2 piles of bullets the last 2 Saturdays. I was casting 2 different .45 molds. One from an 8 cavity H & G S242 and a Lee 6 cavity .45 190 SWC.
    I had 2 towel lined cake pans sitting next to each other and was alternating the 2 molds. I got thing set up to size size the bullets. That is when I realised
    that I got the pans mixed up while casting. The Lee mold has 2 lube grooves and the H&g has a single deeper lube grove.

Needless to say I had to sort through both plies and sort. by the time I got finished with that I had lost interest in sizing and lubing. Getting old is starting to stink
    and getting mixed up stinks even more. The thing is that H&G weighs a ton more than the Lee and I should have been able to keep them separated
    but I was just going to town casting.

I think I'll just to stick with one mold from now on, especially with 6 or 8 cavity molds.

Hahaha....I've done that...I cast Lee 358-200s and Lyman 311041 at the same time. They look very similar but obviously one is larger diameter. I just dumped them all in the same tray as well....figured I'd easily sort them out. It took forever to sort several hundred of each. I'll be doing vastly different boolit designs from here on out when running multiple molds. But then again...it is a good mental game...and I have time to kill most days.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I cast with two most of the time and drop the boolits in the same place. I use different caliber molds (eg. 30 and 35) when I do that so sorting them is a breeze.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah. I'm so clever I've outsmarted myself more than once...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I had an H&G 10 cavity there was no way to keep up with it. I used a damp cloth to freeze off the sprue so I could cast quickly. IIRC, it would produce about 1000 bullets an hour.

I think you will be happier using one mold at a time and do not believe you will lose much procducivity.

BTW, I am old too and have learned that KISS is what works best for me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Set a small bar over the pans and rest each mould on the top if its pan. This way the open pan will be the one to drop into.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I did a worse bullet mix a couple years ago. I was casting round balls, .595, and .600. I spent a lot of time with a micrometer sorting them!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried casting with 2 molds and found that it worked me harder than I liked! Its easier if the molds are similar.

Boolit Master
    I toy with 2 moulds with my single cavities doing bullets for pistol, generally they are different bullet types and all get dropped in the same towel lined pan. I find that it gives me time to load the next mould and then grab the "set" one chop the sprue and refill and repeat. It seems to keep the moulds from overheating in my neck of the woods. I never seem to cast more than 100-200 at a sitting when I do this. Multiple cavity moulds are used by themselves, i tried once with a pair of 2 cavities and didn't like the results.

Sorting and culling happens at the same time with the pile dumped on the bench and the "passed" bullets making their way into the storage container. If I do it weighing for tolerance (+/- XXg) happens prior to sizing depending on the intended use. Loads intended for the chrono are held to a closer weight tolerance than general plinkers.

Super Moderator

Yeah, I had some mix-ups when attempting to cast similar looking 41 and 44 caliber boolits with two molds. I tried to drop them separately, but some still got mixed up. I then went to two pans to drop them in, and I still got some in the wrong pans. My sizer usually lets me know if I don't catch it when sorting. I usually just cast with one mold these days...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    i did a worse bullet mix a couple years ago. I was casting round balls, .595, and .600. I spent a lot of time with a micrometer sorting them!

ouch !

Boolit Master

I usually cast with two molds at the same time so neither one gets to hot. If they will both be used in the same caliber, I will usually just put them in the same container. It is no problem to separate them as I take them out of the sizer.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    It is no problem to separate them as I take them out of the sizer.
    ^^this^^
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    one thing at a time is how I try to get though tasks.

Don't give up on casting 2 moulds. Even if you want to cast both .45 cal's...use different profiles like a SWC & RN or whatever.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

If I have a particular boolit design that a 4 cavity mold is not available for and I can find two 2 cavity molds I will use both of them at the same time to get a large pile of boolits quickly.

i also cast with two molds most of the time, but i never again will do 150 gr. .38 + 125 gr. 9mm together - both with single lube grooves - grandson proved that his young eyes are superior to my old ones -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master

Don't give up on two molds.

I cast from 2 or even 3cav molds if it's a 1cav mold. I use 2 Different calibers; 9mm & .44 or .38 & .45, casting from 3 2cav molds will get you a whole lots bullets in a short time. Especially if you cast like a speed demon. I like to use molds of the same block size too. I get more consistent weights that way.

My old Lyman Mag-20 mold guide fit the Lyman 4cav & RCBS 2cav molds. They have same width & height.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I found it hard to mix up .308-150gr and .429-214gr boolets.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast