MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antique Afghan firearms

Boolit Buddy
    Only real consolation is when the zombie apocalypse hits she will be among the first ones eaten.

Boolit Master
    I think it's already here. I see lots of people walking around, spouting insane nonsense.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1957 View Post
    only real consolation is when the zombie apocalypse hits she will be among the first ones eaten.
    i thought the zombies wanted brains.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

The Middle Eastern early long firearms have a most unique appearance. They do have collector value. Many years ago many of these eastern arms were imported into this country. They were moderately priced. Most were one of a kind, each hand made. Many were broken and damaged. I bought many that were broken from the importer. Most had British and European early locks. I bought the guns cheap and removed the locks and sold them for many times the purchase prices. They were great gun show items. Many of the barrels were hand forged very similar to the barrels that were hand forged lap welded on Pennsylvania-Kentucky long guns. Many had inlaid bone, ivory, and sea shell to enhance their appearance. The unusual buttstock design I figure was so they could easily be fired from horseback. Just tuck the gun under your arm and aim with one hand as your other hand held the reins !! The Arabic and North Americans Plains Natives were great horseman. Shooting from horseback was considered an art. Would be nice to have one in a collection of firearm developments.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, Some one, a skilled trade smith in Afghanistan made a Winchester 1895 rifle clone in 405 with their bare hands and minimal tools, in a road side tent that was very very close to the original rifle????
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK2bKDxqBlE foot-powered lathes also probably involved... That is still happening in Darra Adem Khel, Pakistan. Not all that far from Afghanistan. I first read about those folks in a 1955, IIRC, American Rifleman, back when I was a kid in the mid-60's.

I have two with letters from the Afghan National Museum, allowing them to be removed from the country. If the guns pictured were removed without permission there could be consequences under the Afghan relics laws.
    The junk copies are not relics, but my 1700s Tower lock, flint, camel rifle, is a relic under Afghan law, is a couple hundred years old, a 54 caliber star rifled barrel, with brass wide, thin forged, straps holding the barrel to the full stock. The smooth bore shotgun, flint to percussion conversion has a straight stock, with minimal what appears to be a silver wire inlay around and on the chamber area. Both guns are well used and have a dark brown patina from rust.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    could be consequences under the Afghan relics laws.
    We'll just call it even.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK2bKDxqBlE foot-powered lathes also probably involved... That is still happening in Darra Adem Khel, Pakistan. Not all that far from Afghanistan. I first read about those folks in a 1955, IIRC, American Rifleman, back when I was a kid in the mid-60's.
    There’s a video out about a guy who went and visited the Pakistani gun makers today. It was interesting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I have two with letters from the Afghan National Museum, allowing them to be removed from the country. If the guns pictured were removed without permission there could be consequences under the Afghan relics laws.
    Did you work directly with the Afghan National Museum to get those items lettered? Paperwork is easy to fake.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/01/11202...tural-heritage
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    My question is, what types of consequences would result, and from where?

I remember reading a comment on a board (can't remember where), from someone that was deployed over there. He mentioned them finding crates of Brown Bess muskets in a cave still packed in the grease. Not sure if that was a tall tale or not, but I'd just about have a heart attack if I saw something like that. The ones in your photo are spitting images of some I have recently seen in a local shop. I eyed them through the glass, and determined them as newly made, as it's not hard to tell. The locks were copies. They have pretty good skill, and they have skill at making them 'look' old. That's not to say that there may not be some actual original parts strewn about some shops over there without anyone caring.

Boolit Master
    Apparently, the guns have been in the family over 30 years. They came from Australia. Now the "owner" is no longer with us and the family doesn't want the guns.

Times have really changed in my lifetime.
    I went to a one room Country Schoolhouse and ya it was a 4 mile trip a lot of times I took the single shot .22 either over the handle bars on my bike or on the bare back horse horse in the winter to keep warm
    Ms Mueller would tell me put it in the closet. After School we would go down to the open City dump and shoot rats.

A lot of this stuff going on I feel comes from Parents not paying attention to their Kids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12