Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old eye candy

Boolit Grand Master
    American barrel making began in the late 1600's or very early 1700's, with many gunsmiths making muskets and fusils, while German immigrant gunsmiths started making rifles in the 1720's. (perhaps earlier, though extant records can not verify this..) Remington began as a rifle barrel making concern in 1816, when founder Eliphalet Remmington made his first rifle, using a purchased lock, but making the rest himself.

I am inclined to believe that the auction house was probably right in their estimate. 1840 to maybe 1860, but more probably earlier than later, based on the comparatively small caliber.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe the double cheekrests are for right and left handed shooters to rest on???? Very nice rifle.........Curdog

Thanks for the input. I got the nipple replaced and hope to get to the range this weekend to see how she shoots. I know there is those who say don’t shoot an antique but for me part of the enjoyment is having it roar again. Not likely to be a regular shooter, I have plenty of modern ML’s for that.

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot the thing, enjoy it! As long as it's in reasonable good shape go for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Thanks for the input. I got the nipple replaced and hope to get to the range this weekend to see how she shoots. I know there is those who say don’t shoot an antique but for me part of the enjoyment is having it roar again. Not likely to be a regular shooter, I have plenty of modern ML’s for that.
    Not I. When I bough my 10 gauge SXS, which proof marks date it to the 1850's, the first thing I did was strap it to a tire and fire good strong loads in it. That was the only shotgun I used for the entirety of 2021 bird hunting. I did not fire a single shotshell at birds that year.

You are from the land of birds (SD) last time I saw a pheasant here, I about called game and parks to report a rare species.

Boolit Grand Master

While true, I also took it to MN a couple of times. Actually I think the first thing I ever killed with that gun was a turkey shot in MN. If this is your first real antique, I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find just how well they really work. Today we have so many replicas that are just trash, and people love them because they look good. I'm looking at you Pedersoli. They have no reference to base off of. The original guns were just plain made to work, and they do. 2021 started as a challenge for myself, but it didn't take long to realize it wasn't much of a handicap at all. It certainly didn't hinder me turkey hunting, except being a little heavier than a pump 12 gauge, and not having a third shot was not much of an issue for anything else. About the only thing that really wasn't great was when I crippled a duck or goose with an empty gun, and had to watch it swim off. I had a few really bad slogs through muck to wack them with a paddle. By the time I got smart enough to make myself some paper cartridges for a quick follow up, the season was over.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-22-2023 at 09:19 PM.

I have an antique.38 I have enjoyed shooting for the fun of it and it’s a dandy shooter. Have taken it to a few of our local blanket shoots for the challenge. Considering using one of my antique rifles at the State ML shoot. I was fortunate enough to win Nebr State ML championship this past year using a TC .50 Hawken with Green Mountain Barrel. But think it would be neat to use a 1800’s gun for the Shoot.

Took her out shooting. Found that it’s at least a .38. .375 ball and .20 patch a pretty easy loading. I have a .380 RB mold and might try that. Groups a 25yards nothing to write home to mother about. But those old super fine sights and old eyesight a poor combination. Actually shot a better group (3”) offhand than off a rest. More work needed.

Wish it had set triggers

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice, and yes it looks very familiar/similar to mine. Must have had a lefty in the family to have the dual pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbe View Post
    Very nice, and yes it looks very familiar/similar to mine. Must have had a lefty in the family to have the dual pieces...
    I have seen other antique rifles with dual cheek pieces. Never found anyone with a good explanation other than use for both left and righty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12