Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast iron, lead, and lead testing..............

Probably the idea of an upsides down cat iron n pot or pan in a hard wood fire covered in coals is better than testing. A 2,500 degree F fire is going to take all the lead and metals out. Just st the ash with soap and green water, dry, heat in an oven and season

Dark red (first visible glow): 500 to 600 °C (900 to 1,100

°F) * Dull red: 600 to 800 °C (1,100 to 1,650

°F) * Bright cherry red: 800 to 1,000 °C (1,650 to 1,800

°F) * Orange: 1,000 to 1,200 °C (1,800 to 2,100

°F) * Bright yellow: 1,200 to 1,400 °C (2,100 to 2,500

°F) * White: 1,400 to 1,600 °C (2,500 to 2,900
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    My thoughts on this subject is that the likelihood of any individual cast iron cookware ever having lead in it is so infinitesimally low that I wouldn't worry about it. It's about as likely to happen as winning the big Powerball type lotteries. I have been a rabid gun nut since I was 14 and am now 62. As expected many of my friendships have come about because of our mutual enthusiasm for guns. In all those years I've only personally known 3 bullet casters. Many have loaded their own ammo but only 3 cast bullets and one of those has only dabbled in casting a tiny bit. People who load their own ammo represent only a small percentage of total shooter. Reloaders who cast their own bullets are a very tiny portion of even that small group. Bullet casting is such an obscure portion of the gun world that we aren't even a blip on a graph of users of cast iron vessels capable of melting lead alloys.
    I have converted exactly ONE person to casting in my life. I am 70. We definitely are a small community.

3M Lead Check Swabs (Pack of 2), Instant Lead Test (LC-2S24C) Look these up on Amazon

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^this is what you want. Many paint stores have them, and you can order them from Amazon, Walmart, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home depot and maybe others.
    The PRO-LAB Lead Surface Test Kit Lead Test Kit is similar and available from most of the same vendors.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a small collection of vintage cast Iron pans...all bought used obviously.
    This thread has me thinking...
    My favorite 9" Griswold fry pan was bought years ago, at a gunshow for $5...probably before I was a boolit caster.
    I can't count how many times I've used it, as it's my main fry pan I use every day.
    I recall how nice the seasoning looked when I bought it, very black.
    Makes a guy think, if there was some Lead contamination, how much get's sealed under the seasoning? and how much can actually leach into a hamburger?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12