Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 357 mag hunting loads

Boolit Buddy
    Found some H110 last night. Going to try a few loads today if I can get out.
    All cast will be .358PC.
    8.0grns HS6
    9.0grns HS6
    Whatever load of H110 that puts me at 1200-1300fps
    A stout load of H110 with a jacketed 158xtp
    and back to the 8.0HS6 to verify.

Boolit Master

Unless adding more is purely for distance, you are probably plenty good for power if you choose the right bullet for your task.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.32-20 9 and 3 jugs 1250fps.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	312235

This was a 7-10 yard milk jug test I did with the original 130 grain LBT mold I had cut for that same Cadet. Much more of an aggressive meplat than the heavier TL bullet I've switched to. Both bullets were shot using the same 1250fps workup load - the only difference was the alloy. The expanded slug was 20-1 and took 3 jugs to stop - about on par with police auto duty ammo. The harder one didn't appreciably deform at all and went nine jugs.

With a 160 grain .357 using those two extremes of expansion/non-expansion, there's probably little you can't handle at your current velocities.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Unless adding more is purely for distance, you are probably plenty good for power if you choose the right bullet for your task.

Name:	.32-20 9 and 3 jugs 1250fps.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	312235

This was a 7-10 yard milk jug test I did with the original 130 grain LBT mold I had cut for that same Cadet. Much more of an aggressive meplat than the heavier TL bullet I've switched to. Both bullets were shot using the same 1250fps workup load - the only difference was the alloy. The expanded slug was 20-1 and took 3 jugs to stop - about on par with police auto duty ammo. The harder one didn't appreciably deform at all and went nine jugs.

With a 160 grain .357 using those two extremes of expansion/non-expansion, there's probably little you can't handle at your current velocities.
    I agree 100%. I'm not trying to push velocity all that much. If I can keep the leading low to none, and get the accuracy I'm looking for. Velocity will be what it will be. 1200fps or so is more than enough to kill any deer I see within pistol distance.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, not sure what this told me.
    Sight correction made before I started based on yesterdays trends.
    XTPs shoot well, but they always have in this gun.
    The first group from the gun after the jacketed bullets were all over the place. Maybe me, maybe something else, not sure.
    May have to play with H110 more, looks promising.
    Clean up was a half dozen pull throughs with a bore snake.
    What do you guys think?

Name:	357gp 35yd 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	312241

Boolit Master

I think you're a right-handed pistol shooter who's doing pretty well for the most part, with occasional drift into a lapse of fundamentals. We all tend to pull left if we aren't careful. Simple body mechanics.

Lock the elbow (it can only bend inwards or upwards).
    Lock the wrist (it mostly wants to bend inwards).
    Keep the thumb in tight (you have the rest of your hand on the other side - left is the path of least resistance for the gun to drift).
    Make sure the trigger finger is coming back straight at the shoulder (it's a lot like your elbow - you can't bend it outward, only in).

And to make sure none of that is part of the problem. . .

Be screaming "ALIGNMENT!" at yourself as you watch the gap on either side of your front sight all the way through your trigger press.

If you happen to be a lefty, that target tells me your non-trigger fingers are probably tightening in sympathy with the trigger finger and hooking the gun back to the left. Squeeze a little harder with the middle, ring, and pinky fingers and that'll go away.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I think you're a right-handed pistol shooter who's doing pretty well for the most part, with occasional drift into a lapse of fundamentals. We all tend to pull left if we aren't careful. Simple body mechanics.

Lock the elbow (it can only bend inwards or upwards).
    Lock the wrist (it mostly wants to bend inwards).
    Keep the thumb in tight (you have the rest of your hand on the other side - left is the path of least resistance for the gun to drift).
    Make sure the trigger finger is coming back straight at the shoulder (it's a lot like your elbow - you can't bend it outward, only in).

And to make sure none of that is part of the problem. . .

Be screaming "ALIGNMENT!" at yourself as you watch the gap on either side of your front sight all the way through your trigger press.

If you happen to be a lefty, that target tells me your non-trigger fingers are probably tightening in sympathy with the trigger finger and hooking the gun back to the left. Squeeze a little harder with the middle, ring, and pinky fingers and that'll go away.
    Lol, well shoot man, I can always shoot a little better. I made a gross sight correction to bring most of my groups up and centered ish. After that I won't fine tune till I know what load I'm tuning to. That said, I'm definitely a right handed shooter who pulls left at times. Any thoughts on the loads I should be working toward. After several years with this gun, when all else fails, anything normal under an XTP is always to good stand by. I think I will try a few more groups of the 9 grns of HS6. Not sure if I should tone down the H110 or try it a second time at the 15.0grn mark. Slowly closing in on something I hope.

Boolit Buddy
    Last range trip of the day. No pics but HS6 at 9.0 grns and H110 at 15.0grns both produce similar groups. But the H110 is faster. I was only able to shoot at 25 yards this last trip, but both loads gave me under 2". Nothing wrong with having a couple loads that I can shoot, but I'm leaning toward the H110 load for hunting. Now I need to put in some more practice to get rid of that whole left thing, lol. The XTPs seem to also be a good option, so I will keep a box of them on hand at least.

Since Small pistol primers have been available and I have quite a few on hand I’ve been shooting more 38/357 loads. I have a 358429 GC mold that makes a variety of hollow points and want to work up a Deer Hunting 357 load using it.

Should I drop the powder charge slightly due to deep seating the bullet in the 357 case and should I use HP or solid? These loads will be used in my GP100 and S&W TRR8.
    Last edited by R-71; 03-27-2023 at 06:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by R-71 View Post
    Since Small pistol primers have been available and I have quite a few on hand I’ve been shooting more 38/357 loads. I have a 358429 GC mold that makes a variety of hollow points and want to work up a Deer Hunting 357 load using it.

Should I drop the powder charge slightly due to deep seating the bullet in the 357 case and should I use HP or solid? These loads will be used in my GP100 and S&W TRR8.
    Theorized about this somewhat - maybe others will chime in. . .

If you're deep seating the 358429 and crimping over the front driving band, you've lost 1/10" of your case capacity and have basically seated it to the same depth it would be in a .38 case, so load data for .38 +P or Elmer Keith's .38 Heavy Duty should apply.

I would be inclined to use a cup point nose pin to slow the expansion down. . .or just use a non-expanding alloy in a solid and drive it hard.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Grand Master

Why deep seat it? A GP100 can handle a cartridge OAL of 1.650" no problem. Also, you will find most load data for that bullet is only loaded to 1.550" anyway. I want that front driving band out there, inside the throat if possible.

Boolit Master

wolfdog, your load of 15.0 grains of H-110 with a 158 gr. payload is about 1.5 grains light. Be careful about reducing charges of H-110 or WW 296 (same powder), you could have an unexpected detonation. With either of those powders I've always found excellent accuracy at 16.7 grains in several revolvers and a Marlin 1894 carbine, although top loads in the carbine were with XTP's. Good luck, stay safe!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    wolfdog, your load of 15.0 grains of H-110 with a 158 gr. payload is about 1.5 grains light. Be careful about reducing charges of H-110 or WW 296 (same powder), you could have an unexpected detonation. With either of those powders I've always found excellent accuracy at 16.7 grains in several revolvers and a Marlin 1894 carbine, although top loads in the carbine were with XTP's. Good luck, stay safe!
    What do you mean 1.5grns light? Hodgdon lists that as a starting load in for a 158grn XTP on their website at 1418fps. I'm not going below minimum at all. I should be completely safe.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    What do you mean 1.5grns light? Hodgdon lists that as a starting load in for a 158grn XTP on their website at 1418fps. I'm not going below minimum at all. I should be completely safe.
    You are safe. You shouldn't reduce a ton, but that myth "H110 is max or nothing", is nonsense.

right-handed pistol shooter Yup, my problem too. Pushing the trigger!
    Whatever!

I like to load and shoot my favorite target load.
    It's really accurate and it's running clean and does not lead and has good power.

14 grains of H110 under 155 grain deeply hollow pointed plain base,

ultra durable clear powder coated bullet sized 357 and assembled in 38 special brass and shot in my 4 5/8" three screw Ruger Blackhawk.

They are the MP358429PBHP with the deepest pins installed.

Sometimes after being fired the empty casings fall out under their own weight when I open the gate and rotate the cylinder with the barrel pointed up.

Extraction is effortless.

This morning a reasonable cleaning of the Blackhawk took about twenty minutes after about two hundred regular thirty eights and about a hundred three fifty sevens, and another hundred or so 38-44's.

Barely enough time to finish my coffee.
    I like how that revolver looks after I clean it and massage rem oil into the blueing with a cotton rag.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    right-handed pistol shooter Yup, my problem too. Pushing the trigger!
    I'll get better, I promise . But when you have 2 on a 18x 18 sheet of paper and one off...load development matters, can't fix the issue if I can't find a group. Now that I'm looking a couple cast loads where I am getting decent group size, I can concentrate on the nut behind the trigger.

Boolit Grand Master
    Last range trip of the day. No pics but HS6 at 9.0 grns and H110 at 15.0grns both produce similar groups. But the H110 is faster. I was only able to shoot at 25 yards this last trip, but both loads gave me under 2". Nothing wrong with having a couple loads that I can shoot, but I'm leaning toward the H110 load for hunting. Now I need to put in some more practice to get rid of that whole left thing, lol. The XTPs seem to also be a good option, so I will keep a box of them on hand at least.
    wolfdog, you are not shooting enough bullets to determine an accurate load with 3 shot groups. The statistics are working against you.

Of course, if you have a crappy three shot group it will not improve, but an acceptable 3 shot group can be plain luck. It tells you very little. You will end up chasing your tail.

Now, look at the time and resources you have expended to get a cast bullet to hunt with. Is it worth it? The XTP's are working well and will do a great job on deer and two legged critters. They are cheap when you are using less than a 100 a year to hunt with. Unless you are doing crop damage hunts how many rounds will you use a year?

Here is a link to ballistic testing that will show you how various commercial bullets perform:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...s-test/#357mag

It looks like your XTP's are a good choice. I might try the 135 gr Gold Dots as well.

I will be working up a load for a 9mm carbine this year for coyotes and home defence using jacketed bullets. Then I will find a cast plinking load that shoots to the same POI. I will not care how hard the alloy is or needing GC's. My alloy is 92-6-2 and will make a crappy hunting bullet but for plinking it will not matter. And until primers drop into the $50/k range, I will not be plinking with a CF anyway. Cheaper ways to me get trigger time.

I bought 1000 124 gr XTP's for $200 delivered. I doubt it will take more 200 rounds to find "the load". That leaves me with 800 bullets for serious work...a lifetime supply of excellent bullets (for this old man).

I do not drink the cast bullet Kool-Aid when it comes to hunting or self defense bullets. With primers at $100/k and powder at $45/lb finding a good load gets expensive fast. Then there is the dinking around with alloys, bullet profiles, lubes (first shot and cold weather issues) and what size works. I KISS with jacketed bullets. YMMV.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The Winchester loading data for #296 ball powder (H-110, same powder), lists 16.7 grains as maximum with a 158 gr. jacketed bullet and a magnum primer with a heavy crimp, and, cautions you not to reduce the powder charge by more than 5%. A 5% reduction gives a charge of 15.8 grains.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    The Winchester loading data for #296 ball powder (H-110, same powder), lists 16.7 grains as maximum with a 158 gr. jacketed bullet and a magnum primer with a heavy crimp, and, cautions you not to reduce the powder charge by more than 5%. A 5% reduction gives a charge of 15.8 grains.
    That's compete nonsense. Wolfdog already said he is using a book listed load.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don Verna

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast