Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people do this? carve a stock

Boolit Grand Master

Why do people do this? carve a stock

Was at the LGS and there was a Ruger 77 heavy barrel in 25-06, tang safety. Looked in good shape and I was interested, so had them unlock the thing so I could take a look. Left side showed a nice looking stock and the gun in pretty good shape, turned it over and someone had carved a deer in the buttstock, about 4" in size. Not that great a job either.
    Handed it back. Figured I could find another stock, maybe, but then it would put it in the class of paying way too much for the gun.
    Oh, they took a scribe and wrote their name on the action!!

Guess I shouldn't complain, it was their rifle, they could do with it as they wished.

I would offer them $20 profit over what they gave Bubba for it. You never know until you ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Hello:
    Well one things possible
    Maybe he thought no one would steal it being carved and enscribded with his name.
    Head Shot

Boolit Master

That is a wrecked gun…..but the action (besides the stupid scribe…) is one of my favorites.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Some people have a great urge to modify and customize their stuff.
    Carving scenes in the stock was popular back around the 50s-60s or so.
    A co-worker inherited a almost unfired, mint condition, .30-06, pre-64 Winchester Model 70 that his Dad had done the same thing to.
    His was very professionally done, but others of the era---- not so much.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.........

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Over the years I have seen some pure dee Bubba jobs, and some that looked professionally done. But I daresay I have never seen one that actually improved the value.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

I never understood the stock carving thing myself but as already said, it is their rifle. However I have never or will never buy a rifle with carving in the stock or at least I will only buy it if I can get it cheap enough to replace the stock and still remain a bargain. I would then put the carved stock up for auction and use that money to help pay for the replacement stock. Just me and not being critical of anyone, just stating my personal opinion. james

It's not my thing either, but a couple of members have carved stocks and displayed their work on the Forum. It certainly personalizes the gun. I think it's an art form that has always been around, probably came here from Switzerland and Alpine Germany. I'm not fond of engraved guns either, but there are those who commission the work for big dollars and cherish the results. To each his own.

DG

Boolit Master

It would be fun to work up a half-MOA load for such a thing, just so you can say "Bubba was an idiot, but at least he only broke it on the outside"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    A nice thing about having an ugly gun is that you don't have to baby it in the field. Rain, snow, scratches, no problem!

I have two m1917 rifes. Both stocks have been cut down to "sporterize them" which was very common. All orignal stocks sell on ebay from anywhere from $250 - $400.
    They were sold in the 1920s and 1930s as surpluss through the NRA. At the time the guns weren't seen as collectible and collecting guns wasn't really a trend untill the 1950s after WWII.

Change your name to match whats on the action. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    It's not my thing either, but a couple of members have carved stocks and displayed their work on the Forum. It certainly personalizes the gun. I think it's an art form that has always been around, probably came here from Switzerland and Alpine Germany. I'm not fond of engraved guns either, but there are those who commission the work for big dollars and cherish the results. To each his own.

DG
    Nor mine, but I have to add that I have a sporterized '94 Mauser that I fell for specifically because the carving was modest and very well done.

I don't dislike tasteful engraving. I've always felt that it is a form of pure art that a man can't be called a sissy for owning.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I enjoy the skill of folks who can do GOOD engraving! But, I can't buy a gun to put in a safe spot just to look at it. If I like the gun enough to own it, I want to shoot it!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I was in high school shop class, I made a sporterized stock for my father’s 03A3. Years later, When he passed, I found all the original parts and put it back the way it should be. Unfortunately, for most sporterized guns, it’s a one way trip.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I never understood the stock carving thing myself but as already said, it is their rifle. However I have never or will never buy a rifle with carving in the stock or at least I will only buy it if I can get it cheap enough to replace the stock and still remain a bargain. I would then put the carved stock up for auction and use that money to help pay for the replacement stock. Just me and not being critical of anyone, just stating my personal opinion. james
    I lucked out pretty well. My old M1 Garand's old stock had been sanded down to where there were no markings on it and then slathered with a heavy coat of orange varnish. There was no point in stripping the old varnish off; so I managed to get a non-Bubbaed stock to replace it at a cost of $150, and sold my old orange varnished stock at a local flea market for $150. Few things work out that well though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 - old stock.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	311833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 Completed.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	311834
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy

If you do that to your gun be prepared to take a BIG hit if you decide to sell. Many years ago I was at a shoot where everyone was asking about a revolver at LGS. Owner had engraved his name on the side of the frame. Out of curiosity I stopped by on my way home. Expecting a buzz vibrater job, was surprised to see a very pro job of stamping. Laughing all the way home with a Colt Python for $250 kidding maybe have to change my name. GW

Boolit Buddy
    My friend has a Colt Python with the owner's name engraved on it.

However the owner was Skeeter Skelton. I don't think you could buy that gun for $250.

Boolit Man
    I have a 1942 Lithgow SMLE that has been sporterized. The stock has a very naked young lady carved into it. Yes I realize the monetary value of the rifle is low and it's politically incorrect and not even family friendly. Yet it holds some charm to me. I like to think that in the dark days of 42, some lonely Australian soldier fighting on the Kokoda trail in Papua New Guinea found a few moments to carve this image into his rifles stock. Perhaps after the war, he brought the rifle back home and cut it down for hunting. As a bonus, the rifle shoots fine and is accurate as military rifles goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast