Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 acp versus 380 compact

Boolit Grand Master

25 acp versus 380 compact

In another thread, a fellow was extolling the virtues of a small 25 as a defensive weapon, casually condemning the pocket 380's as too hard to shoot well. I decided to test this. I have a Baby Browning and my "Purple People eater" 380 LCP is the Smallest gun I routinely carry, so I elected to use them as representatives of their respective tribes. The scenario I set up was designed to represent a worse case of an event that happened to me a couple weeks ago at a gas station when a disreputable pan handler approached me in a some what threatening manner. Starting with my gun in a pocket holster and my hand on the gun in the pocket , at 5 yards, I drew and fired as many shots as I could in 3 seconds at the head of the simulated attacker. At 5 yards, an attacker can be on you in a second, but realistically, we cannot draw down on every one who approaches us, so I designed the test with this in mind. Let's look at the target and review how I did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3850.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	317315

The white spacers are the 380's, the black are the 25's. Also, one of the 25's does not count--it was just past the beep. Note that 3 of the 4 380's went low, but still would have been wounding shots, the 2 in the neck would have been particularly so. The 4 shots of the 25 resulted in 3 outright misses owing to the small size of the gun--I could only get one finger on it and I had some difficulty getting it out and snapping off the safety. The non-existent sights made it all but impossible to aim the gun, while the dinky, one-finger grip resulted in my pulling the trigger tending to jerk the shots left.

Given the marginal efficacy of the 25, I doubt I could keep an attacker from reaching me were that all I had to prevent it. In the only 2 shootings I know of using a 25, one involved an unarmed subject who remained ambulatory after being shot multiple times and the other involved a suspected drug thief who was executed for her presumed crimes with 2 shots to the back of the head. (and then soaked in gasoline and set afire.) edit. I have since recalled a third incident wherein a gangbanger caught a round in the forehead that failed to penetrate into the brain.. I did not witness this personally but was told of it by an ER nurse of my acquaintance.

Now, to be fair, I have a Beretta 21 in 25 that I can shoot better, but it is larger and weighs more than the LCP! Quite simply, the 25 is a weak reed to lean on. Unless that is all you have, choose something better.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-11-2023 at 10:37 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Everybody should use what works for them. My experience would be the opposite of yours, even at close range I would be far more likely to miss with the LCP than just about any .22, .25, or .32. I think the main cause of the .25 lack of penetration is that most factory ammo is watered down even further than its modest listed velocity. I've read that many factory loads are under 600 fps in the average pistol.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I have a pheonix 25acp and a keltec p32 and a keltec p3at. All small guns.. oddly enough.. I shoot them all about the same... good enough for self defense range hitting a target... all I can say..

Boolit Grand Master
    People with really large hands don't do well with tiny guns. My 6' 2", 250 Lb. baby brother has a problem with the LCP as well, the standard is just too small for his XXL hands to get a good grip. But I will lay dollars to donuts that if an LCP is too small, the Baby Browning or one of its copies won't fit either. He shoots a Keltec P32 but never carries it, because it is too small. He normally carries a 638 with the large Hogue grips, because it is the smallest gun he can shoot well.
    CCW, especially in hot weather, is always a compromise between concealability, utility and power. In my view, the various 25 ACP pistols do well at hiding, but are hard to shoot and lack power. There are too many other choices that are only slightly bigger but are easier to shoot and utilize more powerful ammunition. Carry one if it is all you have, or if it is all you can conceal, but don't be mislead into thinking that you are well armed.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

In Florida with triple digit temperatures depending on your body type some of us are stuck carrying small guns like 32s and 25s I know on my Kel-Tec 32 I have an extended magazine and can carry it in a belly band and it's actually more grip than slide so it's actually pretty easy to control and on the 25 I bought fingertip extension floor plates for the magazine and it works out pretty good too it all comes down to shop placement at that point because as you mentioned neither 32 nor 25 are power monsters so the shooter has to do their part to make it all work.

Banner Sponsor

Some years back(30 ish), my Mother decided that she was going on an extended road trip to visit all of her children scattered across the country.
    So I took her to the range with a pile of handguns to try. I had a 22, 25, 380 and 9mm in appropriate sizes. I didn't have a small compact 38, or we would have tried that one also. We setup targets at about 7yds and had her try all the guns, then had her draw and fire also. She ended up shooting a Russian Makarov in 380 the best and liked it, so that's what she took with her on the trip. Once she settled on the Mak, we spent the rest of the afternoon getting her totally comfortable and familiar with it, load, unload, mag change... Mom grew up around guns and has hunted all her life, so I felt comfortable with the one afternoon training session. Obviously more training and familiarity is always better, but it's what we had. She liked the gun so well that I didn't get it back for about 18 years lol.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have meaty hands and got slide bite requiring stitches firing my .32 ACP "Buffalo" loads for testing in the Beretta Tomcat, before the frame cracked. The original Ruger LCP was more manageable, especially after adding a Hogue grip sleeve. I hit well with it to 10-15 yards. I do not care for the later LCPs with the Glock style thingy on the trigger. I am an old wheelgun guy and prefer the DAO trigger pull of the original model.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    A tiny gun doesn’t have to be chosen. I just don’t wear shorts, I wear Wrangler jeans & a J frame will fit nicely in the front pocket in a thin pocket holster. Granted, we don’t have many 100deg days, but here 93 is screaming hot & it gets there now & then. Dress for the gun, not visa versa?
    Or wear your shorts & an untucked short sleeved shirt. Even a small 9mm will ride easily AIWB in a proper holster, Or 3oclock IWB in a proper holster. Choose a shirt one size larger & bingo, we can carry a reasonably sized gun without being spotted.
    Something to think about anyway��
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have XL hands and shoot my two Kel-Tec P32's quite well. I don't think the size of the LCP is the problem since it's actually a bit bigger than the P32. Neither is recoil or muzzle jump, I find it to be about the same. All I can think of is something about the trigger pull just doesn't work for me. I've owned two of them and got the same results. I shoot my LCP II .22 lights out, it has a creepy single action pull with a manual safety. If Ruger had put a manual safety on the .380 version I would have bought one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I have XL hands and shoot my two Kel-Tec P32's quite well. I don't think the size of the LCP is the problem since it's actually a bit bigger than the P32. Neither is recoil or muzzle jump, I find it to be about the same. All I can think of is something about the trigger pull just doesn't work for me. I've owned two of them and got the same results. I shoot my LCP II .22 lights out, it has a creepy single action pull with a manual safety. If Ruger had put a manual safety on the .380 version I would have bought one.
    I am firmly convinced that during an armed confrontation, blasting an attacker in the face will likely change their minds. If you terminate their career, so much the better. (They really weren't serving the world well as they lived). A face-full .25, .32, or .380 will generally dissuade said miscreant from continuing such violent behavior.
    "Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's Captain Obvious!
    "Living well is the best revenge" - George Herbert.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is final". - Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

If you terminate their career, so much the better.
    amen!

I like the .380 over the .25....more shock power.
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain O View Post
    I am firmly convinced that during an armed confrontation, blasting an attacker in the face will likely change their minds. If you terminate their career, so much the better. (They really weren't serving the world well as they lived). A face-full .25, .32, or .380 will generally dissuade said miscreant from continuing such violent behavior.
    Depends upon shot placement. Hits below the eye sockets are nonlethal. Eyes and fore-head are better aiming points, but .25 will glance off skull in oblique impact.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I doubt if I would like to get hit by either one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    A tiny gun doesn’t have to be chosen. I just don’t wear shorts, I wear Wrangler jeans & a J frame will fit nicely in the front pocket in a thin pocket holster. Granted, we don’t have many 100deg days, but here 93 is screaming hot & it gets there now & then. Dress for the gun, not visa versa?
    Or wear your shorts & an untucked short sleeved shirt. Even a small 9mm will ride easily AIWB in a proper holster, Or 3oclock IWB in a proper holster. Choose a shirt one size larger & bingo, we can carry a reasonably sized gun without being spotted.
    Something to think about anyway��
    It's hard to see you living in Montana telling others to dress for the gun..when we live in triple digit temps MOST of the year.. Not like 2-3 months..but like 8+ months. Yes..small revolvers are sometimes possible..but the heat is a killer here... Wet shirts standing outside 15m. That all factors in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Some years back(30 ish), my Mother decided that she was going on an extended road trip to visit all of her children scattered across the country.
    So I took her to the range with a pile of handguns to try. I had a 22, 25, 380 and 9mm in appropriate sizes. I didn't have a small compact 38, or we would have tried that one also. We setup targets at about 7yds and had her try all the guns, then had her draw and fire also. She ended up shooting a Russian Makarov in 380 the best and liked it, so that's what she took with her on the trip. Once she settled on the Mak, we spent the rest of the afternoon getting her totally comfortable and familiar with it, load, unload, mag change... Mom grew up around guns and has hunted all her life, so I felt comfortable with the one afternoon training session. Obviously more training and familiarity is always better, but it's what we had. She liked the gun so well that I didn't get it back for about 18 years lol.
    Was the mak a 90's redesigned Biakal model or an older model swapped barrel and possibly mag home conversion job?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I have meaty hands and got slide bite requiring stitches firing my .32 ACP "Buffalo" loads for testing in the Beretta Tomcat, before the frame cracked. The original Ruger LCP was more manageable, especially after adding a Hogue grip sleeve. I hit well with it to 10-15 yards. I do not care for the later LCPs with the Glock style thingy on the trigger. I am an old wheelgun guy and prefer the DAO trigger pull of the original model.
    I, too, had a Beretta .32 Tomcat, and my first time at range with it, it took the skin off the top of my right thumb! Interestingly, I also have the .22 and .25acp models -- never a problem from/with either. In the .32acp I was shooting factory ammo -- the one box I bought both to function check the pistol and get me a supply of brass for reloading my cast bullets... I have one of those in-pocket holsters, and still rely on the .25acp. My thoughts are vis critters while fishing/hunting/in woods. A lot of thought, I believe, is re TWO-legged critters. My 99.99% carry is re those with four legs. (IF I lived in venomous-snake area -- critters with no legs would be included.)
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    The point of this test was to determine whether I could shoot the diminutive 25 well enough to hit the head with my 25 in a hurry. I can't count on doing it in broad daylight. In a low light condition, I am sure I can't. I would use a larger 22 were I compelled to use a tiny cartridge, but if you can hide a 25, you can hide a slightly bigger gun that is easier to shoot, in a more capable cartridge . Even in Texas, with 90+ days of high humidity, triple digit weather. I was able to carry the LCP concealed. A Kahr CW380, an LCP, a Keltec P32 or P 3AT; all are pretty small. If that's too big, save up and get a Seecamp--they're even smaller.

But don't kid yourself that a tiny gun in a tiny caliber is a good thing. It's a "better than nothing" thing.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-25-2023 at 10:14 AM.

Boolit Master

If you're looking for analysis of your methods, you've chosen two pistol mechanisms that are apples and oranges, regardless of caliber.

In my world where most of the primary full-sized handguns are striker fired or single action, I see a lot of tendency to slap triggers when sights approach correct alignment on the target. You can get away with that to a point at short range, but the technique does not translate well to the DAO system of the LCP or hammerless revolvers, which take a different kind of effort. The more apt comparison would be to run your FN .25 against an FN 1910, Colt 1903 / 1908, Glock 42, or even a DA-to-SA Walther. At that point, the more manageable grip and longer sight radius is likely to call the victory.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I'd prefer the .380 neck/spine hits over the one .25 head hit.

You multiple factors to consider - one is errant rounds that miss the target.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Depends upon shot placement. Hits below the eye sockets are nonlethal. Eyes and fore-head are better aiming points, but .25 will glance off skull in oblique impact.
    Several years ago; attempted armed robbery at a quickmart near me. Female clerk shot the dude in the face with a 25 - hit a front upper tooth and plumb busted it. He ran off. Showed up at a local hospital.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast