Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 856 problems??

Boolit Master

Taurus 856 problems??

Anybody been having any kind of problems with the Taurus 856 .38 special revolver?
    I'm planning on buying one for my step daughter, and want to make sure it will be
    ok with no problems. Thanks for any info.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I had one for several years and it was the equal of my Smiths and Ruger's. Even better once I added a Wolff spring kit. We sell bunches of them at my side job shop and I don't remember any coming back. .38 Special wheelguns and the 9mm autos descended from the PT111 series (G2, G3) are Taurus' best products and I have full confidence in them. In the event that you do have problems, Taurus customer service is really good
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Leadhead, can’t help on experience with the revolver but…..

I appreciate your wanting to give a good gun to a family member. But, I’ve noticed when I’ve had the bright idea to do similar, the results haven’t been what I’ve expected. It’s been my experience that’s as useless as picking out a purse for a woman. You might get the polite smile, but the chances of it being what they want or will use are remote.

Of course I don’t know how close you are to her. Don’t know if you shoot with her weekly. Don’t know anything about the relationship. Maybe you’re giving her what she’s asking for. But if my assumption is correct that you’re only operating on trying to do what you think is a good idea, to give her a good gun so you’ll know she’s well armed, I expect you’ll be disappointed in that you’ll get a polite smile and she won’t be using it as you imagine.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

I don't own a Taurus and don't ever plan to.

Boolit Master

She is going to a firearms class to learn about the in's and out's of firearms.
    I have a model 85 .38 that she really liked, so my plan is to give it to her
    and get the 856 to replace my wife's 85. I'm a firm believer that for a woman,
    a revolver is better than a semi as there are to many moving parts on a semi.
    She agreed with me, as it was very hard for her to operate the semi. With a
    revolver, all you have to do is pull the trigger. No safeties to fool with etc.
    Just my opinions.

Boolit Grand Master
    The only complaints that I have heard were that the trigger pulls were a little rough and the point of aim/point of impact was sometimes a little off. My LGS sells a lot of them and he recommends them highly. I don't know how durable they are, but they seem to be at least equal to the Charter Arms guns these days. Since the 90's, the Taurus Revolvers have been pretty good, as were the older, 80's model 85's. The 70's and earlier stuff was wretched, as were many of their initial forays into semi-auto production.

I will add that if you can work on a S&W, you can work on a Taurus. My Tracker has a pretty good trigger now after a bit of work.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 03-19-2023 at 12:09 PM. Reason: ps
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    There is a 3" model 85 (I think it is) here...one with ported barrel... I like it alot...and tho it does Not sport the finish of my M&P (most newer Guns Do Not BTW) it is decent looking, reliable, shoots to POA... I don't ask much more from my Guns... Lots of Loads have been down that Barrel..... Yet the good ole 148 WC over 2.8 gr of Bullseye...Never Misses!!!

Boolit Master

Are all 856 revolvers +P rated?

Yes, all Taurus revolvers are +P except the now discontinued magnesium frame models.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Yes, all Taurus revolvers are +P except the now discontinued magnesium frame models.
    Rural King is saying the matt finished stainless 856 there selling are not +P rated.
    When were the magnesium models discontinued? Thanks for any replies.

Boolit Master

Lay out your shootin' irons and let her pick/borrow what she likes. Pick out a first a second place piece. She'll learn best on her own. Don't leave out an auto for her to contemplate also.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Rural King is saying the matt finished stainless 856 there selling are not +P rated.
    When were the magnesium models discontinued? Thanks for any replies.
    I work at RK part time and we aren't supposed to give advice that contradicts what the manufacturer says. Taurus has stated many times over the years that all their revolvers are +P rated except the magnesium frames which were discontinued about 10 years ago. I think the official Taurus name for them was "Hy-Lite", they had a warning right on the barrel stating no +P. Now, like every other maker under the sun Taurus says that continuous use of +P will result in the need for service sooner.

Boolit Master

I work at RK part time and we aren't supposed to give advice that contradicts what the manufacturer says. Taurus has stated many times over the years that all their revolvers are +P rated except the magnesium frames which were discontinued about 10 years ago. I think the official Taurus name for them was "Hy-Lite", they had a warning right on the barrel stating no +P. Now, like every other maker under the sun Taurus says that continuous use of +P will result in the need for service sooner.
    OK Ferguson, Finely a answer I can live with. It's not like I'd be shooting +P's thru it all the time, but nice to know you can.
    I will be on my way to RK in the morning. Thank you so much for the info.

You got it bro. I really don't think you gain much of any advantage with +P in a snub nose. Every gel test I have ever seen indicates that JHP .38 Specials nearly always expand inconsistently or not at all from a short barrel, whether +P or not. On the contrary, sedate wadcutters have no problem reaching the ideal FBI penetration zone and produce a decent cavity in the gel, of course they are accurate and easy to shoot also.

I actually have an 856 in layaway jail right now. Should be able to spring it next payday.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 03-19-2023 at 03:17 PM.

Boolit Master

You got it bro. I actually have an 856 in layaway jail right now!
    I got a e-mail from RK yesterday and they have the 856 on sale for $289.99 so I think I won't be
    able to do much better than that.

Boolit Master
    I lent the M85 to a young friend to get her CPL... I attend the classes that are not Full (to fill them up) and was with her class... her Boy Friend decided she should use +P in class... she nearly did Not pass... I went and told her ..use the rounds I gave Ya... Good Ole 148 Wadcutters,, short of the story...She passed, without problems or discomfort!! That Taurus can handle +P with No Problems... Most shooters Cannot.. certainly Not New Shooters.. Effective, requires you Hit The Target

Well, there's your answer!

Boolit Master
    Trouble with most guys making gun/ammo choices for girls is the guys don’t consider just how much they take their strength for granted.

I’m often amazed and surprised when my wife can’t rack the slide of what I think is an easy to use automatic like a 1908 Colt or a Kimber Micro 380. Or how much she detests the heavy calibers like 38 Special. It blows my mind that the double action trigger pull on a K-frame Smith is too heavy for her to fire.

But….it’s similar to me trying to shoot double taps with full throttle 300 grain 44 Magnums. Too much gun for the shooter is not effective. Doesn’t matter what someone else can shoot well. It’s what can she shoot well.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Totally agree. I'm a big dude, 6'2/300, and I don't like shooting anything stronger than .40 S&W or .357 in a full size handgun. Really, 9mm or .38 Special is more my speed. By contrast there is a woman customer at our shop who can shoot lights out with her Super Blackhawk all day long. My sister's carry piece is a big ol' Ruger P95. Her husband bought her a Glock 43 and she told him to keep it!

Is she planning on using this for CCW or just target shooting? If CCW I would give very close consideration to a S&W J-frame. Especially if she has small hands. Second place would be a Ruger LCR.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast