RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pythons and accuracy

Pythons and accuracy

Is there any credible information out there regarding the new Python and it’s accuracy out at 50 yards out of a Ransom Rest? I recall an active pistolsmith who is purported to be popular if you want an old Colt worked on, who has had a fair number of these new Colts through his shop and claims them to actually eclipse the famous OMM but would like some validation if it is true.
    Thanks,
    Ed

Boolit Master
    No reason they would not be. The real draw of the Python, besides the looks, was it came out of the box as a hand tuned, custom gun. Smoothed action and accurate.

You can take most any DA revolver and send it to a good gunsmith to have it 'fixed' to the same level. Some may require more work than other but it is no secret how to make a DA revolver accurate and smooth.

You end up spending as much or more on your custom gun than on the 'out of the box' custom gun.

The old Python has a lock system that will go 'out of tune' if treated to a lot of heavy DA usage. I had mine tuned every few years. It is harder to find good gunsmiths that know how to work on them.

I would carefully inspect any new Python ( same goes for S&W and Ruger, everybody is rushing things out the door with little to no QC )

They sent a bunch out with bad crowns a few years ago.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

I typed in your question on google. It went to a handloader yuotube. doing just that what you wanted.

Testing Handloads in the new Colt Python 357 Mag

Handloader TV
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Electrod47,
    Is some of your text in your post supposed to be a link?
    I’d like to watch that video.

Boolit Grand Master
    I watched the video and was a little dismayed at the 15 yard testing distance. 15 Yards? Ransom rest? 6 inch revolver? Seems to be a little on the short side. 25 yards has been a standard for many decades, allowing easier comparisons between loads. Still, it seemed as though that Python would shoot.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Python

Hello,
    try this. I tested it and it went to the video. If fails just cut and paste the video title "Testing Handloads in the new Colt Python 357 Mag"
    or in your search engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvL9sobLJGI&t=1368s
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I watched the video and was a little dismayed at the 15 yard testing distance. 15 Yards? Ransom rest? 6 inch revolver? Seems to be a little on the short side. 25 yards has been a standard for many decades, allowing easier comparisons between loads. Still, it seemed as though that Python would shoot.
    Agree with you. 15 yard accuracy testing using a Ransom Rest is rather silly.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The gun groups good enough at 15 yards. Now its up to the individual who purchases it to get with his/her favorite load and tune it for 50 yds or 100 yards whatever. I don't own one or handled one since the 70's. There is little doubt the new one should at least perform as good. Word of mouth is what sells a certain gun over time. These have been out for a few years now with well documented hiccups in the initial sales. Everybody seems to agree all the bugs were worked out.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    This isn’t what you want but it’s how mine performed at 25 yards:

Mixed brass Zero brand remanufactured 148 grain wad cutters at 25 yards off a pistol rest center to center it’s a little over an inch.

My handloads using 158 grain swaged lead .358 diameter SWC off a pistol rest at 25 yards

That same load out of my 8 3/8” S&W model 14-3 off a pistol rest at 25 yards

My experience has been (with my example of one) that (with ammo I had laying around the house) my 4” Python is “ass accurate as any revolver in my collection.

That said, it’s not superior in any to any of them.
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 03-20-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Gentlemen let me do a little bragging on having a accurate pistol. The first photo is my IDPA pistol that was custom built with the installation of a match barrel and bushing. That group is 8 rounds of Federal 185 gr. Gold Match ammo fired from a Ransom rest at 25 yards. You can cover the group with a 5 cent nickel. Photo #2 was my LEO duty pistol. Colt National Match factory original. The group is 8 rounds of my duty 185 gr. +P hollow point ammo fired from a sand bag rest at 25 yards. Group is 1-1/2 inch. I laugh when someone tells me that 1911 pistols are not accurate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_4595.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	311873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_4594.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	311874

There’s a six inch version at my local GS. I’m going to ask the owner if, when he sells it, could he give the buyer the invitation from me that he can use my Ransom Rest to do some 50 yard work if he wants. It is looking like Colt hopes folks forget that the original was touted at the finest target revolver available. Sure is shiny though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    With the demise of Bullseye and PPC, most folks consider 15 yards “long range”.

But, yeah, I agree. For field & target guns, 25 yards should be the starting point.

I can get all 6 in the same hole with my Colt SAA 45...I just can't get a proof picture of the target! ...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

It’s not a python but I just bought a new King Cobra 4.25” .357 that absolutely shoots AMAZING and I suck with revolvers. So I’d buy with confidence

I don't think you can compare new vs old Pythons. Old Pythons had stacking triggers and I'm told the new ones don't, that's what colt said when the new revolvers came out. Obviously, the new ones have different lock works and I believe the 1970's versions barrels measured .356...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    With the demise of Bullseye and PPC, most folks consider 15 yards “long range”.

But, yeah, I agree. For field & target guns, 25 yards should be the starting point.
    I think that should be true for any handgun. All fifteen yard shooting will tell you is that you are an expert shooter and even very poor guns and sorry loads are incredibly accurate. Twenty-five yards should be the minumum distance for testing loads.

Boolit Master
    OS Ok….That’s FUNNY! And so true! Hahahaha!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

I guess my question at this point would be: Has anybody dropped a set of pin gauges to check the new Pythons for uniformity of chamber throats and frame crush on the barrel threads? Having handled a couple at this point, my impression has been that they're on par with Smith or Ruger for lockup and the triggers seem to be starting about like the Ruger DA's I've known to polish themselves in beautifully with use. . .so I think the main issue for comparison would be if they're dimensionally any happier out of the box or if they're offering any perks for durability.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I don’t plan to divest myself of my “old” Pythons any time soon. The newer ones are not as hands-on built as the older ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast