RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pythons and accuracy

Boolit Master
    15 yards does not seem to matter as far as standard range to shoot with ransoms rest. I wonder if anything 15 yards or further will give comparative data on accuracy of that particular handgun and that particular load. So many variables that the yardage seems to be the least of concerns for me.

Boolit Master
    Yep, there are a lot of variables to look at which makes comparing difficult. Mine (old version) is picky about loads. It loves max 125gn jacketed loads (under 2" at 25yd). 140gn cast loads are ok (a bit over 2"). It doesn't like 158gn cast loads (>3").

I have never been a Colt or Python fan. Last May I picked up a 3" from my LGS. I had service issue that was taken care of by Colt. I will say that if you plan on shooting the new Python, plan on buying a set of better grips and sights. That being said, the barrel, forcing cone, chambers, and chamber throats are exceptionally slick. I have shot almost exclusively lead bullets that I have cast. There has been no fouling issues. The interior finish of the bore and cylinder are comparable to my Freedom Arms 83. The accuracy from the first cylinder has been well above average. I have only shot the Python offhand. When I don't screw up, the bullets will shoot into one hole at 10-15 yds. I have not seen the need to go to the trouble on Ransom Rest testing. The upshot is that after 45 years of shooting handguns with numerous guns and thousands of dollars spent on custom gunsmithing, the new Python is my favorite and arguably the best shooting. The problem is that now I need to get a spare and probably a 6".

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Python1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	312436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Python2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	312437
    Traded a pile of new Winchester primed 357 brass to Colt so they could load proof loads to do the final test on the new production Pythons. Have been shooting my new Python. The photo shows the new Python beside my old S&W 686. The new production Pythons are terrific! My gun has a 3 1/2 lb trigger. The action is as smooth as a baby's ass. Check out the 25 yard target shot from a sand bag rest. They are worth the investment. My grandkids will be shooting this gun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Python1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	312436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Python2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	312437
    Traded a pile of new Winchester primed 357 brass to Colt so they could load proof loads to do the final test on the new production Pythons. Have been shooting my new Python. The photo shows the new Python beside my old S&W 686. The new production Pythons are terrific! My gun has a 3 1/2 lb trigger. The action is as smooth as a baby's ass. Check out the 25 yard target shot from a sand bag rest. They are worth the investment. My grandkids will be shooting this gun!
    Would love to know how you ended up with a 3.5 pound trigger pull. Every new Python I examined was at least 5 pounds from the factory due to passing the “drop test”.

Very curious, what is your connection to Colt/CZ that they came to you for Winchester brass?
    Or another April fool joke?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy

Came to find out through a friend that subcontracts for Colt that the factory would have to shut down the proof final testing because they could not get proof loads from their supplier. Colt uses 3 rounds to proof the cylinders. This was during the Wuhan-Fauchi Flu epidemic !! I told my friend that I had over 1000 rounds of new 357 Winchester primed brass. I said I would trade the new brass @$500 credit for a new 6" tuned Python at jobber price. I sent the brass to Hartford and made the deal. Just had to pay the $600 boot difference. Remember Kevin Kosner in Dances with Wolves? They are in the Sioux village and the Sioux warrior trades his bone vest for the Lieutenant's tunic then they go into the lodge and another Sioux warrior gives the Lieutenant his knife for his hat. "Good Trade"!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    15 yards does not seem to matter as far as standard range to shoot with ransoms rest. I wonder if anything 15 yards or further will give comparative data on accuracy of that particular handgun and that particular load. So many variables that the yardage seems to be the least of concerns for me.
    That’s fine, but you cannot call one gun or load more accurate than another based on testing at 15 yards only. Groups don’t open up evenly at longer ranges and cannot be predicted by extrapolation.

Many years ago, Wiley Clapp did an exhaustive test of S&W .41 and .44 magnums of every barrel length shooting from a Ransom, at 25,50,75 and 100 yards, with a large variety of ammo. .44 magnum loads ranged from 180-300 grain bullets (maybe higher.)

The general trend was that all things being roughly equal, heavier bullets held their accuracy better at longer ranges.

A 180-grain .44 magnum that put 12 in one hole at 25 yards often wouldn’t stay on paper at a 100 (8x8 targets, IIRC.)

A 300-grainer that grouped 2” at 25 might still be grouping 4” at 100.

Wish I could find that articl. It was one of the best gun tests I ever read, at least in a magazine or online publication.

Boolit Mold
    Reading the fine print in most of the gun mags of the last few years, it's rare to find any handgun accuracy tested at 25 yds - and never farther. I shake my head when I see "groups fired from a rest @ 7 yards". Seems the old standard of 25 yds is as gone as quality control.
    However, my friend's new Python is a quality revolver. With a minimum of load development, it's shooting an inch and sometimes a tad less at 25 yds from a rest. Of course this was the perfect excuse for me to procure a new Anaconda.

My six inch 2020 python is extremely accurate with 158 grain hornady xtp and 2400. 5 or 6 shots in an inch at 25 yards. I cannot do as well with cast but it is still decent. I also agree that this 10 and 15 yard accuracy testing for full size handguns is ridiculous.

When Colt introduced the Hunter model and Silhouette model Pythons in the 1980s, they were often tested for accuracy at 100 yards in published articles. Of course, IHMSA was really going strong at the time. Ruger and S&W were really duking it out, and Dan Wesson was breaking new ground. Colt was a little late to the game and really tried to prove themselves, especially given all they had was a 357 Magnum when the 44 Magnum was “de rigueur”.
    In any case, there were occasionally some very impressive groups being shot.

I don’t think I’ve seen anything indicating that the new Pythons could group any better at 25 yds like the Silhouette or Hunter models could at 100 yds.

Boolit Buddy
    this was from Handloader magazine. excellent video (youtube tv)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails power pistol.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Was a test range given ? Nice group if fired at 50 yards !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice group if fired at 20 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Was a test range given ? Nice group if fired at 50 yards !
    i believe it was 25ft but could have been 50. i watched this a few times. tried the load myself after seeing this
    on my python (new ver.) & mine was very close to this @ about 30yds & i just used a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jtarm View Post
    with the demise of bullseye and ppc, most folks consider 15 yards “long range”.

But, yeah, i agree. For field & target guns, 25 yards should be the starting point.
    amen!
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Gentlemen let me do a little bragging on having a accurate pistol. The first photo is my IDPA pistol that was custom built with the installation of a match barrel and bushing. That group is 8 rounds of Federal 185 gr. Gold Match ammo fired from a Ransom rest at 25 yards. You can cover the group with a 5 cent nickel. Photo #2 was my LEO duty pistol. Colt National Match factory original. The group is 8 rounds of my duty 185 gr. +P hollow point ammo fired from a sand bag rest at 25 yards. Group is 1-1/2 inch. I laugh when someone tells me that 1911 pistols are not accurate.Attachment 311873Attachment 311874
    Thank you for the morning "warm fuzzy ".
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy

My new Colt Python came out of the box with a 3 1/2 lb trigger. Sold my old 6" 686 S&W as I enjoy the Colt more. Great shooter! I shoot both Smiths and Colt. Just getting used to the cylinder latch. You push a S&W and pull a Colt. The Python loves my handloads. It's a 50 yard gun. All I have are sand bags but the occasional 2" group at 50 yds makes my day. 158 gr Lyman-Keith style bullet and Bullseye or Unique work.

Boolit Buddy

MGD: You crack me up! I too have been shooting for over 60 years. Enjoy my new s/s 6" Colt Python. Now like you I keep thinking I need a "packin" iron!! A 4" or 3" Python would fill the bill. Wooooh! Never satisfied. I do like my 3" S&W 696 in 44 Spec.
    Last edited by Rockindaddy; 10-05-2023 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling

The Python Myth has been around for a very long time. Supernatural accuracy became a standard part of the myth. WEll the things were so darn pretty and expensive, they just had to be better right? They are good handguns, but not moreso that other well made Colts and Smiths. I have owned four of them, but none ever stuck around long term. Drooling Python fans wanted them far more than I did.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I think that should be true for any handgun. All fifteen yard shooting will tell you is that you are an expert shooter and even very poor guns and sorry loads are incredibly accurate. Twenty-five yards should be the minumum distance for testing loads.
    50 yards will separate the men from the boys and the good handguns from the not so good.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast