Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Cast Bullets for the .270 REN?

Cast Bullets for the .270 REN?

I recently acquired a TC Contender barrel in .270 REN. If you aren't familiar with it, it's a .22 Hornet blown out straight to take .277 bullets. I also got 200 rds of ammo loaded with the Hornady 100 gr. spire point. When I get those shot up, I would like to cast for it, but the smallest mould I have is the Lyman 280473 spitzer, which weighs around 130 grains.

I have to cast some to see how deep in the case I would need to seat it, but I suspect it is just too big for this small case. It would not be hard to mill off the gas check shank, but that wouldn't lose much weight. Is there any good way to cut off a short amount of the nose of finished boolits and make them into a round flat style?

Or does anybody know of a commercial mould that would serve?

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...4-3-cavity-gc/

I use a 95 grain bullet I had Mountain Molds make but they're not in business any longer. There might be others but this one from NOE would be about right if you like using coated bullets. You'd think with the popularity of the 6.8 SPC there would be more to choose from.

Boolit Master

I used to have a 270 REN TC barrel , sold it a while ago
    I used it for IHMSA Field pistol shooting

I used a 100 gr Lee Mold that was a group buy
    It was a long time ago and I do not remember if the group buy was through IHMSA or one of the other groups

But OFF Sand Bags I could get sub 1" groups at 100 meters
    But I was only pushing the cast bullet about 1000 FPS

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Thanks,guys. Field pistol is my intended use for mine. I cast some of the Lyman spitzers today to see how they fit the throat. The gc shank is much longer than I remembered, so milling it off is a possibility. A friend is sending me some cast from a Mountain Mould he has. That may solve the problem without surgery.

How long is the throat in your TC barrel? Is there room to seat the bullet out far? Good luck with it, they sure are a neat little caliber. Mine is a rifle I built for my wife for cast bullet silhouette shooting a long time ago. Never had one of the TC versions.

Boolit Master
    can you alter the mold you already have??? thinking along lines of adding hp pin...but go to extreme to reduce it by desired amount.

A friend sent me some 110 grainers from a Mountain mould he had made. I have them checked and lubed, and am starting load development. I wouldn't go heavier if I could avoid it. He also sent some 130 grainers from an RCBS mould that appears to be a scaled down 311041. Should be much better than the 280473, which even Lyman says is pretty unsuccessful.

Boolit Master
    there is a good 130grn 7mm/.284 hp mould around...I wonder if squeazing it down to correct size might be a good option???

Boolit Master

I have played with my 277 Wolverine AR using a lyman mold. I can't think of the mold number but it is about 115 gr. These work well but I need to get some on paper at longer ranges this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	312432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	312433
    Last edited by frkelly74; 04-01-2023 at 09:42 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    wolverine.....5.56/223 necked up perhaps????
    looks like a fun round.

Have done some load work, and settled on 8.6/Acc5744. I also tried IMR4227, but it was disappointing. I was surprised to find that small rifle magnum primers (CCI450) gave the best groups of the ones I tried -- Fed 100 and 205M and CCI BR-2.