Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: What is Xlox 45-45-10?

Boolit Master

What is Xlox 45-45-10?

Sorry, I know I'm a little late to the party here.

I just bought some of White Label's Xlox lube and I think it's great.

I see some of you referring to Xlox 45-45-10. I also see references to a homemade 45-45-10 consisting of LLA, Johnson's liquid floor wax, and mineral spirits.

My question is, when you say Xlox 45-45-10 is that just Xlox as purchased or are you doing a similar homemade mix with the Xlox?

Boolit Buddy
    White Label Lube has both kinds if you want to mix your own or but already mixed

Boolit Master
    It's not floor wax: it's Johnsons paste wax. 45-45-10 is made from 45% Johnson's paste wax, 45% White labs Xlox, and 10% mineral spirits. First melt the paste wax in a pan, then add the Xlox and stir together. What you're doing, besides blending the ingredients together, is driving off the solvents in the Johnson's paste wax. You don't need to over heat or scorch the mixture, just keep them melted and stir once in a while for about half an hour. The solvents that you are evaporating are designed to keep the paste wax soft and squishy (nearly) forever. If they aren't evaporated off the 45-45-10 will never dry.

Once the paste wax & Xlox mixture is well blended and the solvents are driven off, remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool. When it's near room temperature, but still liquid, stir in 10% mineral spirits. Pour this mixture into a bottle and cap it off. The addition of the mineral spirits just replaced the slow drying solvent that we removed from the paste wax with a fast drying solvent. The 45-45-10 can be used to swirl lube your bullets. A little bit goes a long way. only 4 or 5 drops can be used to lube a batch of 100 bullets. At normal temperatures the 45-45-10 should dry over night. (you should dry it in the garage, shed, barn, outdoors, etc., so you won't have to smell the paint thinner) Once it is dry it should feel "almost" dry to the touch, and is much less tacky and sticky than just Alox. You can apply multiple coats if you like, just let them dry between applications.

Over time 45-45-10 can separate in the bottle. This is no problem: just shake up the bottle. If stored in places where it can get cold in the winter it can solidify. This is also no problem: just put the bottle in some hot water for a few minutes and it will melt again. 45-45-10 is ideal for bullets that are designed to be swirl lubed. I use it on gas checked, bore riding rifle bullets, where the driving bands only have been powder coated. Your mileage may vary, but I get very good accuracy with absolutely no barrel leading.

Boolit Master
    I have a life supply of Anchor seal wax if you want some...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Looks like there are two identical threads running at the same time. Maybe a moderator can combine them.

Boolit Master

Oh yeah I see that. I don't know how I managed that???????? Yes if a mod can help that would be appreciated.

Funny, I didn't find the regular Xlox I apparently bought to be particularly sticky or tacky in use. I have learned from years of using LLA (also with great results) to be VERY sparing in the application. My boolits have just the slightest bronzish color to them.

Still, I think I might try to mix up this 45-45-10 "just to see."

Thanks for the replies!