MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: UV protection on stock question

UV protection on stock question

I made a stock and fore end from Osage Orange or Hedge as it's often called. I'd like to maintain the bright yellow/orange color and over time this wood tends to darken quite a bit. It's been suggested that exposure to light is the cause of this, so I was thinking about trying to use a clear urethane of some sort as a sealer and preferably an aerosol.

I've done a bit of searching and can only find one UV protectant aerosol and it seems it dries leaving a rather chalky, somewhat opaque finish which is not what I want. So I thought I'd ask to see if anyone here has tried something like this and what the results were? Tried to upload a couple of photos but files are too big apparently.

Thanks for looking.

Boolit Grand Master

I have purchased a UV protector that is made to be added to product, paint or poly specifically. I don't know but assume you can add it to an oil finish as well. I think I got it at Lowes, but I'm not sure.

Regardless of protection you will eventually get leakage and darkening if it is exposed to UV light.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I’d love to see pics of the Horseapple stock.
    Very tough wood, was used for fence posts and even house foundation piers long ago down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You won't be able to stop the change in color. All you can do is slow it down. It is a product of oxidation, and regardless of the finish used, it still breathes.
    What caliber did you make the stock for? Although it has a great flexibility longitudinally, it has weak compressive resistance.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    Minwax Helmsman indoor/outdoor spar urethane is a UV resistant finish that is commonly used and available just about everywhere. I've used it to great results on wooden front doors that take a lot of sunshine. Much more UV than your stock will receive indoors or during the occasional outdoor use.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You won't be able to stop the change in color. All you can do is slow it down. It is a product of oxidation, and regardless of the finish used, it still breathes.
    What caliber did you make the stock for? Although it has a great flexibility longitudinally, it has weak compressive resistance.
    It's a modified version of a Remington #6 in .22LR. Single shot design from the early 1900s.
    Made it in my home shop. If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll put some up.
    I've had the wood drying for about a decade. I know it's an unconventional choice but I prefer unusual things. I've been looking forward to making a stock from it for a long time and finally got around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    Minwax Helmsman indoor/outdoor spar urethane is a UV resistant finish that is commonly used and available just about everywhere. I've used it to great results on wooden front doors that take a lot of sunshine. Much more UV than your stock will receive indoors or during the occasional outdoor use.
    Does it self-level and dry clear? I presume it's applied with a brush?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Does it self-level and dry clear? I presume it's applied with a brush?
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Or you can also spray it.
    It's marketed for varnishing the wood on boats.

I've never had any issues with anything under the min-wax label.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Or you can also spray it.
    It's marketed for varnishing the wood on boats.

I've never had any issues with anything under the min-wax label.
    Sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll seal a test piece and evaluate it before doing the stock.

Thanks for the suggestions and info!

Boolit Master
    I'm also a fan of Minwax Spar Urethane. By all means use the Gloss, not semi-gloss. The semi-gloss has silica added to give it that matte finish and it isn't as UV resistant as the gloss. (You can always rub out the final coat to a softer luster if that's the look you're going for.)

An even better varnish in that regard is Epifanes, but at more cost. Having spent half a lifetime in the marine industry here in Annapolis I can attest to its suitability for UV protection. It's the varnish of choice for salt air/water protection in the glaring sunlight.

But like Waksupi said there's no 100% forever and ever panacea for maintaining the color of Osage Orange. There's a lot of it growing on Maryland's Eastern Shore, and a buddy made a Model 12 shotgun stock out of a chunk of a tree he cut down in a hedgerow. It has held up well to use in goose blinds for about 12 years now, and the color has shifted from a bright yellow/orange to more of a honey/orange/brown hue that to me is quite pleasing to behold. The only thing I've used it for is knife scales where it polishes nicely and takes an oil finish beautifully, with the same color shift. Don't discount that color shift out of hand until you've seen it!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've made a few bows with this and no matter what finish I've put on it, they always get darker. The first one I made over 40 years ago is a deep Walnut color.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

UV resistant polyurethane such as sold in headlight restoration kits both blocks UV and seals the wood from oxidation. This is the best solution out there. Will it still darken? It probably will.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."