RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Headspace and Sizing Cases

Boolit Master

The best investment I have found is the Lee Collet neck die. They are about $22 or so and will not stretch your cases. Once fire in the chamber in question simply size in the collet die.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Cool. I'll pick one of those up. Thanks for the suggestion.

I see redding makes a type s bushing neck sizer die where you can interchange the bushing for use with different calibers. I might look into getting that as I have some other bolt action rifles I would like to just neck size only the brass for.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kentfielddude View Post
    I have another m1917. I haven't tested it with the field gauge yet. When I got the rifle the bolt was stuck closed. After a considerable amount of force and hammering I finnally got the bolt open. There was an empty brass case stuck in the chamber. Had to drill and tap the base of the brass to thread in a rod that I could use to pull out the brass (didn't have a metal rod long enough to push it out). Brass headstamp was R-P 30-06 SPRG Picture of the removed brass: Attachment 311816

I then shot one round through this m1917 and the bolt also was also stuck but not nearly as bad as when I got the rifle. I could open it just using my hands. The brass was quite fire formed to the chamber and you could see indentations in the brass of where there was pitting in the chamber. Scared to shoot that one again.
    Kent take some 0000 steel wool and you'll need a rod to put it which preferably would be wood that is long enough to fit up in that chamber where that pit is. Spin it with a drill. We just want to polich the pit edges a bit. The steel wool isn't going to remove much metal, just polish. I'm sure you can figure out a way to attache the steel wool to the end of the wood dowel to keep the dowel from spinning and not turning the wool.

With low power loads I don't think anyone mentioned you can just put a wee bit oil or graphite on the case and it will stop the case from obturating to the chamber wall and fill out more. Give that all a try and the LEE collet die is a good mention for just neck sizing.

Boolit Master
    If you fire lubed cast ,the lube fills any pits in the chamber smaller than pothole size.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    If you fire lubed cast ,the lube fills any pits in the chamber smaller than pothole size.
    Look at the case extracted, that's where the pit is. Doubtful lube is going to fill that. Just saying.

Boolit Grand Master

I see redding makes a type s bushing neck sizer die where you can interchange the bushing for use with different calibers. I might look into getting that as I have some other bolt action rifles I would like to just neck size only the brass for.
    The intent of the unchangeable bushings is to allow for proper neck sizing with the expander button or to minimize over sizing if you opt to use the expander button. With a 308 it might be possible to go down in calibers??? You cannot go up to a 358 Win since the portion just before the neck is only slightly larger than the bushing die. Same for using a 243 die for larger calibers.

http://panhandleprecision.com/reddin...roper-bushing/

https://www.redding-reloading.com/te...bushing%20size.

With my Tubb 6mmXC dies the shoulder is machined into the bushing so that design would work well with caliber changes as long as the body was the same.

As to the one that is tearing the shoulder on extraction is would not shoot it until it is repaired.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-22-2023 at 02:57 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Did look at the fired case...it appears to have a hole in it..... damage done to the chamber by? .......anyhoo,if the rifle is original military ,Id sleeve the chamber....if its a sporter,then a replacement barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Long as the Gasses are Not coming at yer Face!!!
    Seriously.. steel wool, and try to clean up the chamber... if it was a real Mauser, The barrel comes off easy enough to set the barrel back 1 thread.(maybe worthwhile). But, The 1917 (and the '03 as I have heard) do Not give up the Barrel easily!!!
    Certainly If you can clean that chamber up... you Need (ie pretty much have to) keep the Brass separate for that rifle..
    They are torqued on with a lot of force. I saw two people with P14 actions chuck the barrel in a lathe and the took of a thin ring steel I believe from the barrel and then were easily able to remove the barrels then.
    My P17 has more generous head space than my model 70 winchester. If I necksize for the P17 without bumping the shoulder, it will not chamber in the model 70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Did look at the fired case...it appears to have a hole in it..... damage done to the chamber by? .......anyhoo,if the rifle is original military ,Id sleeve the chamber....if its a sporter,then a replacement barrel.
    Brass flowing in a pit and being torn when driven out.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    They are torqued on with a lot of force. I saw two people with P14 actions chuck the barrel in a lathe and the took of a thin ring steel I believe from the barrel and then were easily able to remove the barrels then.
    My P17 has more generous head space than my model 70 winchester. If I necksize for the P17 without bumping the shoulder, it will not chamber in the model 70.
    I would have guessed that ... reason to segregate Brass...But, With the poor/pitted chamber?? Gotta set barrel back.. or simply replace..

Yeah I don't think the brass was damaged from firing the round. I think It must have happened when I was trying to get the stuck brass out of the chamber.

Yeah I don't think the brass was damaged from firing the round. I think It must have happened when I was trying to get the stuck brass out of the chamber.
    How could you gouge a hole like that in the shoulder/sidewall junction with it tearing toward the neck/back into the barrel with the hole originating from the outside by trying to remove a stuck case?

I'd be more inclined to think something really odd/nasty/strange is protruding from the chamber wall. How that could be and you could still chamber a round is yet another possible puzzle.

Boolit Grand Master

Per the OP the chamber is heavily pitted and shows signs of flowing into the pits. It appears one of the pits was large enough to allow the brass to form to the pit. The tearing is from the sticking on a rough edge in the pit and being driven out with a hammer.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I may Not be the Most Observant, but. I'm thinking alot of confusion gets caused by the OP talking of/describing, 2 different Rifles!!
    Or...Maybe I am Wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Per the OP the chamber is heavily pitted and shows signs of flowing into the pits. It appears one of the pits was large enough to allow the brass to form to the pit. The tearing is from the sticking on a rough edge in the pit and being driven out with a hammer.
    I wish the OP had a borescope. I'd really like to see that chamber flaw. It must be a doozy.

Not meant in any sarcastic way. I just would really like to see it.

Ask and you shall receive

Boolit Master
    I am not very observant I guess... I just want a view of the Chamber imperfection..

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I am not very observant I guess... I just want a view of the Chamber imperfection..
    I didn't see anything either except a really fouled/corrosion damaged bore and possibly chamber. I think something with a 90° mirror would be necessary to see it.

Boolit Master

He just zipped past the chamber and showed a lot of the bore, twice.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast