Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Anschutz .22 magazine

Boolit Master

Anschutz .22 magazine

I recently acquired a really nice Anschutz .22 with no magazine. There is no model number on the rifle but I’m learning that it’s probably one of the 1400 series and it has “62”, for 1962,stamped on the barrel at the receiver.

All I want is a mag for it and Anschutz charges for identification since lots of people buy and resell them since some are expensive. I did contact them and all they told me was that the model is discontinued and yes you could buy a mag in their store…at $80-100 dollars! Thanks for the help, but there are several different mags for these rifles.

Anyone know of an aftermarket mag that could possibly work? My other option I guess is find a lgs that has some to try in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Buy one of each and return the ones that don't fit?? It's the amazon mode of commerce but
    It might work.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Don't know if this helps but have an Anschutz and found that a Rem 511/513/521 mag can be made to work. Mine was easier as it already had a magazine, but if you take the stock off and can examine the magazine locking system you can see how it works. On mine I merely filed a notch on the Rem magazine to match the original mag and it worked perfectly. Take a replacement mag and slide it into the mounting system and see where you need to modify it to fit the mag latch. Pic of the mag catch system might help someone here identify which model you have and save you some time.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies, here’s a few pics.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Take a look at some of the Savage mags from the same period.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Looks like a mag from an old Browning T-bolt would be close as well.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I used to buy Savage magazines from Brownells and file a locking notch in them. They work great, just don't have the plastic pad on the bottom. No idea if you can still get them there but they've got to be out there somewhere. They were about $8 each vs the real Anschutz mags at $80.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a 64 action to me.

This will explain making a Savage MkII mag work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO-W6ite8Ig

I had a shooting partner that converted Savage mags for his Anschutz rifles. They cost $15 each from Brownells. That's when Anschutz charged $30 for a mag. I bought 3 factory mags with my rifle back then and they still work perfect.

Boolit Master
    After extensive research I have learned it is a Model 1414, which is a smoothbore for .22 shot shells. Interesting rifle, and 2/3 of the barrel is opened up to about .4 for as I understand it controlled spreading of the shot.

Not many of them made and it is indeed a 64 action.

Thanks for the replies, and yes I will be trying some of those mag modifications.

I have an Anschutz in my safe. I should have look at what it is.

Here we go. It's a 65. The bolt looks very much like yours. I dry fired it. What a wonderful trigger! This one I'm told does not shoot well. I believe the bedding is a problem. I just haven't gotten around to looking at it. Maybe I'll do it soon. Anyway, the magazine is quite similar to Remington 511 magazine.

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-02-2023 at 02:43 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

If it is similar to the 511 and the 511 can be altered to work they still sell replica 511 mags, difference is the originals 511s are stamped Remington on the bottom, replicas are plain.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

In my parts, a 511 magazine is as expensive as an Anschutz magazine. I contemplated buying a ten shot mag for mine.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    About all the smooth bore 22lr Anschutz I saw were called garden guns. Most shots at 15 yards or less with light weight bullet 22lr ammo.

Boolit Master
    I ended up selling the rifle at the gun show last week. I wanted a .22lr gun, and after learning it was a smoothbore I had no interest in it.