WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: My most useful equipment

My most useful equipment

I used to have two LNLs with all of the feeders, counters, control centers etc. I spent more time fiddling with stuff than actually reloading.

5 years ago, I thinned the herd. Now I rely on just one T7 press for all metalic loading. I kept the case actuated powder drops with the expander. When loading, I mount it in one of the press stations and load a single shell through all of the stations until finished. This sometimes caused inconsistencies in the powder charge due to the vibration of the turret rotation. Then I hit on an upgrade that changed everything. I bought a machined stainless steel turret head and a Teflon surface upgrade from Creedmoor Sports. The turret now glides smoothly with very little vibration and powder drops are very consistent. It wasn't cheap, almost $180 but it gives me a lot of bang for those bucks.

Another little gem I kept back from the LNL days was my Mini Mr. Bullet bullet feeder. Cast or jacked, .357 or .355, it drops consistent drops each and every time. I tried Hornady's disastrous bullet feeder tubes and dies. They never would work right. The Mr. Bullet feeder though, is always spot on.

The last little piece of equipment I have has been with me since 1978. It's the RCBS priming tool. I tried the Lee, the Hornady and even the RCBS hand tools and all have more cons than pros. For me, that priming tool just plain works. I have the horizontal priming system for the T7 but it just gets in the way. The RCBS tool is easy to use, mounts to the bench easily and is a hassle free way to feel seat primers.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

I became a Master Craftsman through year of accurate reloading and shooting rifle rounds. I was capable of placing the bullet, out to 200-yards, right where it was needed to transfer energy and drop a game animal it in its tracks. When the shot was over, THE WORK started!

My hunting, shooting, and reloading Mentor passed, taking most of my momentum in those with him. I was overwhelmed upon inheriting his entire estate, including reloading and shooting arsenal. I bought a shooter's estate, but burned out in its sorting, storage, selling, and shipping before it was all sold. The "Flea Market mentality" of the buying public is trying on one's patience.

Significantly in those, and Covid twice, I aged a lot and let go of the "shooter's edge". My Host at Deer Camp observed that I am "not mad at the deer anymore", passing up shots that used to be a blood lust for venison, but in silent part because legislatively, the purchase-as-you-go and non-resident price to play there (and the terrain) got too steep.

Locally, on ordinarily "level" ground, maintaining equipment, buying and hauling materials, preparing the land, waking early, stumbling and trudging the darkness on hog-broken roads to stands, climbing, then the seconds, minutes, hours, and days spent sitting on small hard seats, alone in my own thoughts, in the cold, in the rain, in the heat, whatever "climate change", "suffering" biting insects, waiting-waiting-waiting for an opportunity in which the game participates, then THE WORK starts, became less important and more difficult on my own than sitting in a comfortable chair, in a warm and dry place, having a conversation with a friend. The hogs are running the local asylum. I am not there (as much) to deter them.

"Thinning the herd" sounds good. Thinning too deeply or without a plan is risky business. Then there is the public, selling and shipping again. I am still bummed out in those but have not overlooked rising prices in firearms and equipment.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    For me the one piece of equipment that’s the most useful is my Lee Classic Cast turret. That along with the Pro Disc powder measure and the Lee improved PPM would accomplish all my basic reloading needs for very satisfactory ammunition.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    I became a Master Craftsman through year of accurate reloading and shooting rifle rounds. I was capable of placing the bullet, out to 200-yards, right where it was needed to transfer energy and drop a game animal it in its tracks. When the shot was over, THE WORK started!

My hunting, shooting, and reloading Mentor passed, taking most of my momentum in those with him. I was overwhelmed upon inheriting his entire estate, including reloading and shooting arsenal. I bought a shooter's estate, but burned out in its sorting, storage, selling, and shipping before it was all sold. The "Flea Market mentality" of the buying public is trying on one's patience.

Significantly in those, and Covid twice, I aged a lot and let go of the "shooter's edge". My Host at Deer Camp observed that I am "not mad at the deer anymore", passing up shots that used to be a blood lust for venison, but in silent part because legislatively, the purchase-as-you-go and non-resident price to play there (and the terrain) got too steep.

Locally, on ordinarily "level" ground, maintaining equipment, buying and hauling materials, preparing the land, waking early, stumbling and trudging the darkness on hog-broken roads to stands, climbing, then the seconds, minutes, hours, and days spent sitting on small hard seats, alone in my own thoughts, in the cold, in the rain, in the heat, whatever "climate change", "suffering" biting insects, waiting-waiting-waiting for an opportunity in which the game participates, then THE WORK starts, became less important and more difficult on my own than sitting in a comfortable chair, in a warm and dry place, having a conversation with a friend. The hogs are running the local asylum. I am not there (as much) to deter them.

"Thinning the herd" sounds good. Thinning too deeply or without a plan is risky business. Then there is the public, selling and shipping again. I am still bummed out in those but have not overlooked rising prices in firearms and equipment.
    As I have gotten older I have spent more time and money making my stands/blinds more accessible and comfortable. I went from stands that the floors were 10ft from the ground to 4ft. The 4ft keeps tham out of the water when the bottoms flood. More comfortable chairs, stairs vs ladders, roofs, sides, ect. Between the size and the added stairs I can ride my Polaris right up to the blind and it blends right in.

As far as reloading tools go I guess my Lee Universal Depriming Die and my press get used as much as anything. As far as work saving goes my Giraud trimmer is nice for the cartridges that I load in volume.

Boolit Master

When I was shooting a lot, the "automated" RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center (circa 2010) was most useful. Case prep has got to be the one chore that is everyone's least favorite. The "Universal" Cae Prep Center has evolved, a lot, and is now both unavailable, discontinued, and if you can find one, is (imho) too expensive.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Rock Chucker
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

My homemade case prep machine. Made it out of a old air conditioner motor. Friend of mine machined a holder for screw in accessories.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Big Max that was purchased in Fort Myers from Fridays gun shop 1983 has reloaded thousands of rounds and never missed a beat. Developed a little play on the ram, had a machinist friend line bore and make a bushing that was greaseable in return for use, we've been life long friends ever since.

Maybe not the most useful but the most worth it was a rcbs power trim….I HATE trimming brass……

Boolit Buddy

Seems the handiest thing on the bench is the extended magnet to pickup all the little parts and pieces the jump off the bench GW

For me the handiest tool I have is my 3D printer. It has saved me more than a thousand dollars and I'm just getting started. I now enjoy several reloading tools I would never been able to afford. Five bullet/case collators and bullet feeder dies that that work with them.

Below, the beginning of a $60 case feeder.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like every other project, the hammer and a pliers are my most useful equipment for reloading.

Boolit Bub
    The lock on the door of the reloading room is by far the best tool I have!! HAHA

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My Lyman turret press that I bought II the eighties. I have a newer Rockchucker, but my first go to is my original Lyman press. Simply because I can keep so many dies ready for use.

Boolit Grand Master
    This may not fit in the equipment category, but I think my most useful item is my library of reloading manuals.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Seems the handiest thing on the bench is the extended magnet to pickup all the little parts and pieces the jump off the bench GW
    Lol, that’s me.

I would have to say a set of Bondhous T-handle hex wrenches and a set of Elkind hex screw drivers. In fact I should probably get both in metric. Both are ball-head, so the slip in fast.

Allen drive is great, but I HATE the keys with a passion.

Reloading requires so many different hex drive sizes. I counted 5 different sizes I needed for a casting session the other day. When I’ve got a hot mold and a 700-degree pot of molten and need to make an adjustment, I need it fast. The T-handles have size clearly marked and I can grab it from a stand sitting on the bench quickly.

Hex keys and driver bits are just like socks & Tupperware lids: they disappear. Especially the sizes you need most often. These are easy to find and it’s obvious when one hasn’t been put back.

Boolit Master

Jtarm, I have to agree. Besides casting/reloading/shooting, I do a little woodworking, some lathe work, have some astronomy telescopes and build/fly RC airplanes. Every activity requires hex keys. I decided years ago to have hex keys permanently at every place they’re needed. Most activities require Imperial and metric, other than “good old reloading.” They’re in the reloading room in the casting area, on the single stage bench and the progressive bench. They’re in a drawer in the airplane workbench, the RC field box, the astronomy toolbox, at the lathe, a set of Imperial and metric at the end of another bench and some in a roll around in the garage.

Most are Bondhus or Eklind. Some are imports but any time a fastener is really stuck I’ll get the name brand keys if I’m using imports. Most of the fasteners are 10-32 or 4mm and smaller so the smaller wrenches get most of the use. I have quite a few screwdriver style hex keys in the smaller sizes as well. In spite of having lots of them, I’ve been reluctant to buy the really good ones until recently. I’m basically frugal, blaming it on my Scottish heritage.

I was working on on a friend’s RC planes for him and he had a set of MIP hex drivers. They’re absolutely the best fitting, toughest hex wrenches I’ve ever used. They should be for what they cost. A set of 4; 1.5, 2, 3 and 4mm screwdriver style set me back roughly $70. I work with lots of discontinued RC engines and can’t afford to damage a screw so I ponied up and bit the boolit. The convenience of screwdriver style hex wrenches cannot be overstated but conventional L style ones are still needed for screws with poor access and those that are really stuck. Sorry to ramble on so long but the world runs on socket head screws.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    My 1988 vintage Dillon 550 has been used more than all of my other equipment put together.
    I guess next would be my RCBS Rock chucker.

Boolit Bub
    I have two indispensable tools:

1. Giraud Trimmer
    2. Harrell Powder Measure

Both are heirloom-quality tools that will last a lifetime.

Not cheap, but I believe tools are only "expensive" when they aren't worth what you paid for them.