Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Homesteader Stock

Boolit Master

Henry Homesteader Stock

I find the Henry Homesteader interesting
    So far I have just seen one online
    But having a 9mm carbine that takes Glock Mags would work for me

But I was wondering if anyone has tried one yet ?

But my real question
    Has anyone seen a aftermarket Polymer stock ?
    IF I get a Henry Homesteader
    I would like to replace the butt stock with a stock to sort of make it look like a AR 15

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I don’t understand the logic of that.
    Back some years 4 or 5, I bought a 9mm auto. My daughter tried it and bought one also. Then she started buying and trying several 9mm autos. So I said what the heck, and bought 1000 rounds (when it was cheap). I gave her half of it. Then I looked at my stash of 9mm, and said “what a shame I don’t have a carbine to shoot this in.” So I went down the road to my LGS and ordered a Hipoint carbine. They had a .45acp in stock, but I wanted 9mm, and Hipoint sent one in brown & white snow cammo. It is simple, accurate, solid composite, and a very good price. Customer service is very good, because I broke it the next day - tried to smoke the sights for better visibility - the rear sight is plastic and I melted it. Customer service sent me a new sight - I offered to pay for it, but she said “nope, it’s still under warrenty”. If you buy the Henry, come to mid coast Maine and we can talk about a trade.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master

It's still a little early for aftermarket parts for the Homesteader, but I bet they are already on the drawing boards. Here's a video showing the disassembly of the Homesteader: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKpSS0N8DOE
    While removing the stock from the trigger group isn't shown, it looks like changing it out shouldn't be a problem.
    I want a side-folding stock with a M-lok slotted fore-end!
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

I contacted Henry
    They said they had no plans for any folding or Polymer stocks
    But admitted if enough people ask .... them Maybe

I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine
    It works , but IMO it is a bit Ugly
    Also I never liked the single stack mag idea

I guess I want to take a step or 2 better in the looks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    If you want one that looks more like AR, S&W has a new 9mm carbine out that also folds in half for transport.

The fact that the Homesteader doesn't look like an AR is the selling point for those that don't want or care for the looks of the black rifles.

I currently have one on order that takes Sig magazines................no Glocks in my stable. BTW, I also own a 9mm CZ Scorpion carbine..........which CZ discontinued for 2023.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080975-1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	311798

Name:	P1090397.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	311799

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Have you looked at the Ruger PC carbine? They have versions that have an AR style stock.

https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

I hope Henry decides to offer it in 45 acp
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It's been a while since I looked at the Henry sit and somehow, I missed theHomesteader. I'm not a AR looking kind of guy, but know many are - some like apples and some like oranges and I respect that. I've been thinking about a 9mm carbine for a while and kudos for Henry coming up with one - a great looking carbine. I pretty much had decided on a Ruger PC Carbine as I like the ability to be able to quickly break it down by removing the barrel assembly for easy cleaning. Don't know the availability of the Homesteader but would sure like to handle one. I like the ability of both of the rifles being ability to adapt Glock (and other) magazines. A 9mm would be nice for a lot of things - plinking, critters and HD as well as to have as a truck/car gun when traveling around in the boonies. Looking forward to hearing more about the Henry Homesteader.

Boolit Buddy
    I think one of the main purposes of the Henry Homesteader was to deliberately NOT be "tacti-cool". It was supposed to appeal to the "blued steel wood stock" folks. I'd love to have one, but the price is a little off-putting for me at this point.
    There are quite a few tactical looking PCC's available (I'd likely go with the Ruger).... right now KelTec has a sizeable rebate on their 9mm PCC, it folds in the middle as well. At one of our local gun shops/online retailer, I could walk out with one, and after the rebate would only be out $340 or so.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Palmetto often has sales on their 9mm AR. Last time I checked you could get a complete upper and lower for around six bills, cheaper than a Henry.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    i just did a review on the homesteader yesterday for a couple of gun magazines, and ill be honest i wasn't too impressed. we fired 8 different ammunition types and brands from the cheap PC coated federal to the most expensive Wilson Combat ammo from 95-147grn. using a Leupold 2-7 at 50 yards the best 5 round group of the day was 1.5' (with hornady 115gn Critial defense) and the worst was over 7'(Wilson Combat 147 subsonics), with the average around 3.5'.
    the trigger was terrible and heavy with a lot of gritty creep and an awful break, and what bothered me the most was the rear stock, it was loose to where you could wiggle it and you could see it move, however you cant tighten it up with how the whole gun is put together, over all for a $1000 rifle, I was not impressed at all, the gun was heavy and not accurate. IMO save some money and headache and get a Ruger PC9 they shoot 10x better and are way lighter and $3-400 cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    i just did a review on the homesteader yesterday for a couple of gun magazines, and ill be honest i wasn't too impressed. we fired 8 different ammunition types and brands from the cheap PC coated federal to the most expensive Wilson Combat ammo from 95-147grn. using a Leupold 2-7 at 50 yards the best 5 round group of the day was 1.5' (with hornady 115gn Critial defense) and the worst was over 7'(Wilson Combat 147 subsonics), with the average around 3.5'.
    the trigger was terrible and heavy with a lot of gritty creep and an awful break, and what bothered me the most was the rear stock, it was loose to where you could wiggle it and you could see it move, however you cant tighten it up with how the whole gun is put together, over all for a $1000 rifle, I was not impressed at all, the gun was heavy and not accurate. IMO save some money and headache and get a Ruger PC9 they shoot 10x better and are way lighter and $3-400 cheaper.
    Well, it is their first semi auto, maybe not first, they do have the AR-7, but that is not really theirs, now, is it?

There are a few Henry firearms that appeal to me. I have the AR-7 a gun that had long appealed to me, just cause it is so darn cool and Henry improved on it.
    A .22 rimfire lever action, something I dreamed about from a kid.
    Recently, a 45/70 lever action rifle with a threaded barrel the model H010X, halfway affordable at a grand. I did wish it had walnut stocks, but the synthetic is starting to grow on me, I do grudgingly admit
    they are more practical.

Boolit Buddy
    Reminds me of the Ole Marlin Camp Carbines, which I wish ruger would make.

Dave

Boolit Master

Why not just buy an AR-based 9mm rifle that takes Glock mags? Quite a few of them out there and will greatly cut down on struggles to accessorize, to say nothing of its ease of teardown and cleaning (for which the Rugers are a bit of a PITA)
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    If you want one that looks more like AR, S&W has a new 9mm carbine out that also folds in half for transport.

The fact that the Homesteader doesn't look like an AR is the selling point for those that don't want or care for the looks of the black rifles.

I currently have one on order that takes Sig magazines................no Glocks in my stable. BTW, I also own a 9mm CZ Scorpion carbine..........which CZ discontinued for 2023.

Name:	P1080975-1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	311798

Name:	P1090397.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	311799

Winelover
    I'm not a tacticool guy by any means but that thing is SWEET. My side job shop has the pistol version and if I had the cash I would SBR it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

So just buy a Glock mag 9mm AR. It’s a better platform and lower cost to boot.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

This is the new folding Smith

Name:	folding smith.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	312408

If you're into this style, I think this is what I'd buy for the videos I've saw

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I hope Henry decides to offer it in 45 acp
    OR...if the mag well is long enough, a 10mm would add some serious punch , especially with the longer barrel for a pistol round.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Henry can barely do a decent lever gun no use for any of their offerings.As others have said plenty of already established manufactures do them very well with better options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast